Dsc refund question

luvtheships

Btw I didn't post either way if I did or did not try to persuade her otherwise

Please don't make assumptions

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems that you know about cruising and all of the work that the crew does and i guee your guest does not. They did pay the DSC in advance right? and then tipping however they seem fit after, like many do......if there was an issue with the service ( still no reason to ask for a refund) then I could maybe understand it ( i said maybe) to me there is never any reason to ask for a refund, but that is just my opinion, and I'm allowed to have one and post it here, since you came on here and asked to question.

you must have known that you would get responses here that are not to your liking. ( the risk you take when posting here)

I feel ( again just my feelings) that just because somebody over tips is not a valid reason to ask for a refund for the DSC. If there was an issue with the service then it should have been taking care of on board where they had a chance to make it right.

Marion

Since NCL now has these requests going through a shore side office, perhaps those of the same mindset can be told that their business is no longer wanted - being that NCL has been unable to meet service expectations.

The crew members not only get stiffed but get negative marks on their ratings.

The fact that NCL handles this fund through the shoreside office is troublesome and that added to the fact that they do not divulge how the fund is distributed gives many people reason to request their dollars back so they can tip in cash.

The fact that NCL handles this fund through the shoreside office is troublesome and that added to the fact that they do not divulge how the fund is distributed gives many people reason to request their dollars back so they can tip in cash.

Too much lately is troublesome with ncl

I think everyone should request dsc refund until ncl divulges who gets what and exactly how much they get

I haven't cruised ccl since 2008 but back then it was clearly stated who got what.. $$$ to mdr

$$$ to steward.... $$ to whomever

The exact dollars were clearly on their website

Dealing with a head office of a large company (ncl) should not be as difficult as it is nor should the dsc be as shrouded in secrecy as it is either.

Bottom line is the dsc can be removed and a pax still has the right to tip in cash those that provide personalized service and can choose not to tip those that provide generalized service such as kitchen and laundry staff

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I think everyone should request dsc refund until ncl divulges who gets what and exactly how much they get

Better yet, if one doesn't like how NCL does their business or what they divulge, don't sail with them. Why should NCL divulge their business practices, as it is really no one's business other than NCL and their employees.

I always wonder if those that have to know how NCL divvies up the DSC asks every business they do business what they do with the money they collect from their customers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Better yet, if one doesn't like how NCL does their business or what they divulge, don't sail with them. Why should NCL divulge their business practices, as it is really no one's business other than NCL and their employees.

I always wonder if those that have to know how NCL divvies up the DSC asks every business they do business what they do with the money they collect from their customers.

Like button.

Do those demanding that NCL divulge where the DSC goes, demand the same info from resort and where their resort fees go?

Pay it or take a Land vacation. A DSC is the cost of doing business for cruising. (Now where's that dead horse emoji)?

Like button.

Do those demanding that NCL divulge where the DSC goes, demand the same info from resort and where their resort fees go?

Pay it or take a Land vacation. A DSC is the cost of doing business for cruising. (Now where's that dead horse emoji)?

Resort fees are not discretionary. The DSC is. You have a choice to remove it for any reason, even if the reason is they won't tell you what the breakdown is or your not interested in donating to their fleet wide welfare fund.

Resort fees are not discretionary. The DSC is. You have a choice to remove it for any reason, even if the reason is they won't tell you what the breakdown is or your not interested in donating to their fleet wide welfare fund.

as noted on this thread and many other places, you can not now remove for any reason. You submit the paperwork and they determine yes or no. Many people have been turned town.

D= Daily

Then why have people been denied their request because it was not based on a service issue and it was not brought to the attention of the cruise line while on the cruise so that it could be resolved.

next time I go to my local hot dog stand, I'll ask for a breakdown of how the employees are paid.

next time I go to my local hot dog stand, I'll ask for a breakdown of how the employees are paid.

If they ask to handle the tip money rather than give it to the server then you would be a fool not ta ask how it will be distributed.

Do whatever you want. Who cares.

Why don't they just add it to the price of the cruise? It was ridiculous years ago running around with our envelopes on the last night of the cruise. This is just so much easier. I look at it as part of the cruise fare. Obviously the employees agreed to the current arrangement or they wouldn't have taken the job. i always tip extra where warranted. Unless I received HORRENDOUS service I can't imagine looking for the DSC back.

. Obviously the employees agreed to the current arrangement or they wouldn't have taken the job. .

Yes that's obvious but not enough. Some here insist the DSC arrangement between NCL and its employees requires their scrutiny, personal consent and unqualified approval. By what authority and on what legal ground I am not sure.

Edited by sfaaa

Why don't they just add it to the price of the cruise? It was ridiculous years ago running around with our envelopes on the last night of the cruise. This is just so much easier. I look at it as part of the cruise fare. Obviously the employees agreed to the current arrangement or they wouldn't have taken the job. i always tip extra where warranted. Unless I received HORRENDOUS service I can't imagine looking for the DSC back.

Simple. Because it should be based on the number of guests that are actually cruising, not based on the number of guests that MIGHT cruise. It is added so it can be divided to the crew that are serving you during your cruise, not as ticket revenue. All guests are informed of the daily, not discretionary, service charge. When signing the guest ticket contract, they agree to pay it.

"Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

Not wanting to pay the charge is not the same as having a service issue that cannot be resolved to your satisfaction.

As far as the people who ask "why isn't it just added to the cruise price?" It makes no difference. The fees and taxes are split out and we all pay those.

Having said that, if someone chooses to not pay the DSF for whatever, it is entirely up to them. While I try to "never say never", I cannot foresee a time or event that would lead me to requesting a refund.

"Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges."

Not wanting to pay the charge is not the same as having a service issue that cannot be resolved to your satisfaction.

As far as the people who ask "why isn't it just added to the cruise price?" It makes no difference. The fees and taxes are split out and we all pay those.

Having said that, if someone chooses to not pay the DSF for whatever, it is entirely up to them. While I try to "never say never", I cannot foresee a time or event that would lead me to requesting a refund.

Read the contract. You are quoting promotional materials.

as noted on this thread and many other places, you can not now remove for any reason. You submit the paperwork and they determine yes or no. Many people have been turned town.

D= Daily

I hate to prolong this argument as I haven't even sailed yet and can't envision removing the service charges, but in the interest of accurate info, here is the language from the ticket contract( with the relevant part bolded), which is the relevant governing document:

c) Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salaryand incentive programs that are funded in part bythe service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees

according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance.

A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

Well there you have it....its distributed to employees according to the carriers evaluation of job performance

Lol...so if you really think you are tipping the dishwasher and laundry worker....think again....only if Ncl likes their job performance do they benefit

So Ncl has discretion with our $13.50 to give it to whomever they please ...thus...rewarding those that shine...and stiffing those that don't ....hmmm...and posters get into a tizzy if someone wants to remove or adjust dsc...lol. Sounds like Ncl reserves this right too!!!

Do whatever you want folks as it makes zero difference to me but here's some good advice...

Take the free dsc as a perk when offered

Oh ...I forgot they already added it into the price if the cruise when they priced it

Well there you have it....its distributed to employees according to the carriers evaluation of job performance

Lol...so if you really think you are tipping the dishwasher and laundry worker....think again....only if Ncl likes their job performance do they benefit

So Ncl has discretion with our $13.50 to give it to whomever they please ...thus...rewarding those that shine...and stiffing those that don't ....hmmm...and posters get into a tizzy if someone wants to remove or adjust dsc...lol. Sounds like Ncl reserves this right too!!!

Do whatever you want folks as it makes zero difference to me but here's some good advice...

Oh ...I forgot they already added it into the price if the cruise when they priced it

Nice post.

I have to agree.

Does it? Adding DSC on and then reversing it through free perk means it is a wash and you pay no extra. Why is this a bad thing?

Does it? Adding DSC on and then reversing it through free perk means it is a wash and you pay no extra. Why is this a bad thing?

That's not how it works

The offer the free perk of dsc...if you take it...it never gets added on nor does it get reversed so it's not a wash at all because it is never even added

What does happen is that when they give you a price for the cruise they have increased it already

So...for example...

Without dsc as a perk....$769

With dsc as a perk...$ 879 give or take

It's just an estimated amount btw so don't worry about complete accuracy

They did this when they started the free sdp and ubp perks too

My cruise was 1 price on day 1....without any perks

Then on day 2 when they offered perks for my particular cruise...my same exact cabin etc was higher by $500 but it had free perks. Lol

I recall this vividly because not only do I follow prices like a hawk but I kept getting calls from friends (who cruise a lot too) that they saw my cruise went down and I should try for the new price...

Yup you got it...$500 more with the free perks

It was way before final payment too so I could have easily grabbed the free perks. Lol

And yes...I know it is not the same with all cruises and that posters will say their price went down when the perks were added but that is NOT true with all cruises

I myself have gotten a cruise reduction of $1500 right before final payment..why?...because the cruise wasn't selling very well

Ncl never gives anything away don't kid yourself

Yes they do have good prices but they never give away free perks.

You pay for free perks with a higher booking price