What are your must haves, traditions, and secrets on a Royal cruise?

After 20 years and 22 cruises, the only traditions I can think of are leave a couple days early to tour the departure city (3 days in NYC and Boston) and get an aft balcony cabin.

Oh, we like a relaxing drink before dinner in one of the bars to start an elegant mood for evening. I learned that our now adult kids carry on this tradition when they cruise.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

We always go to Foxy Browns for a great breakfast before boarding in Port Everglades.

Then have room service cheese and crackers and have a bottle of champagne on our balcony during the sail away.

Sent from my iPhone

Just curious what time do you get to the port and why? Such as shorter lines, like to sleep in, or ready to get it started???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will sleep in until 8 on departure day, then have breakfast with my son and DH on our way to the port. That gets us to the port around 10:30, and we should be on board by 11:30.

I like to be on board early, we only carry two carry-on bags so it isn't too much to carry around before our room is ready, and we can get acquainted with the ship and enjoy our first day.

On Voyageur class and Freedom class ships, a tradition my wife and I have is to spend a part of each day at sea on Deck 4 ... there is a promenade encircling the perimeter of the deck, the ocean is at "see" level, there are practically no people passing by (only the occasional crew or couple playing shuffleboard).

We go there to read ... enjoy a glass of wine ... to read ... and to basically zone out for a while, while the rest of the unwashed masses enjoy themselves top-deck.

Michael

We always find a bar first and toast to another wonderful cruise!!

We buy a Christmas ornament of the ship.

As far as the stairs, we try to establish a 5 floor rule. So if we are going 5 floors above or below, we take the stairs.

I used to cruise with my mum our last cruise together was the circumnavigation of Australia. She became sick 3 days into her ultimate cruise and on the day we disembarked when we got home she had a fall. We called the ambulance and they took her to hospital. One month later we said our last goodbyes. My tradition is to take a bottle of Veuve champagne and set it on the dresser with 2 glasses and mums framed photo. I drink it the last couple of days and the last glass on the morning of disembarkation. The other thing thing I always do is the Chefs Table. Royal gave my mum the best send off the cruise of her life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Favorite thing to do: Travel with someone who has not cruised before and watch their jaw drop when they board the ship.

Tradition: Those in our group who don't require a lot of time to prepare for dinner meet at the Irish Pub, (Duck and Dog, Bull and Bear, etc.), and have a pre-dinner cocktail while we wait for those who require more dinner prep time. Gender generally plays a roll in participation of this tradition.

I used to cruise with my mum our last cruise together was the circumnavigation of Australia. She became sick 3 days into her ultimate cruise and on the day we disembarked when we got home she had a fall. We called the ambulance and they took her to hospital. One month later we said our last goodbyes. My tradition is to take a bottle of Veuve champagne and set it on the dresser with 2 glasses and mums framed photo. I drink it the last couple of days and the last glass on the morning of disembarkation. The other thing thing I always do is the Chefs Table. Royal gave my mum the best send off the cruise of her life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So touched by your tribute to your mom. <3

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Forums mobile app

We've cruised in a Grand Suite twice, a Jr. Suite three or four times, an ocean view overlooking the helipad once, and the rest of the times in a balcony cabin. Now we are trying our first Promenade Cabin so we'll just stay on the open deck after the Muster Drill and watch the sail-a-way from there instead of our usual tradition of watching the sail-a-way on our balcony.

In ports that we've visited many times we usually get off the ship for only an hour or so (after the initial crowd disembarks) for a cold beer near the dock and go back on board to enjoy the ship. If it's a ship we haven't been on before, we will go to the highest deck and work our way down fore & aft looking at artwork. Then it's time to enjoy the pool deck (usually the solarium) by ourselves reading a book.

At sea, we like to have lunch in the MDR.

On embarkation day, we get on board early and go to the Windjammer for lunch before it gets too crowded.

We love to get onboard early and sit at the Irish pub on the royal promenade. Then we sit back and watch everyone as they board the ship. It's always fun to see excitement and you can usually tell first-timers on the ship. And of course you see plenty of dazed people as they are approached by multiple employees trying to sell them stuff. And the families with the young children trying to keep everyone together and happy.

Watching a huge slice of humanity board the ship can be very entertaining!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put something on the outside of my cabin door with magnets or a magnetic sign making it easier to find our cabin all week. We typically cruise in December so it's usually a santa or christmas wrap.

I ride up, walk down and walk through central park when I need to go to the other end of the ship on the Oasis Class.

Same here!!!

To boot, I hate when people take the elevator for just one floor. Especially when going down! Come on...going down one flight? Gravity is in your favor! LOL

Ugh- I have really really bad ankles. Some days, trying to go down a set of stairs ends (especially if I have to carry my daughter) is a very scary scenario. I've fallen quite a number of times in my own home. I'll raise my hand to being one of the people who does use the elevator to go down, depending on what I'm wearing shoe wise, if I have my daughter in my arms, and if my ankles are acting up.

Not everyone's trying to be a jerk ;)

Ugh- I have really really bad ankles. Some days, trying to go down a set of stairs ends (especially if I have to carry my daughter) is a very scary scenario. I've fallen quite a number of times in my own home. I'll raise my hand to being one of the people who does use the elevator to go down, depending on what I'm wearing shoe wise, if I have my daughter in my arms, and if my ankles are acting up.

Not everyone's trying to be a jerk ;)

Judgy people have no clue as to why people can or cannot use stairs. You should never feel the need to explain.

For many years, our 'tradition' was get onboard early, grab something to eat in the Windjammer then head straight to the ship library and pick out several books to read. Sadly, libraries onboard RCCL are now a thing of the past. You are lucky if you find a few shelves with books, and many of them are not in English. I guess libraries are not 'cost-effective' and the kindles etc. have made them obsolete. Now, I bring paperback books with me, and leave them on the bookshelf when I disembark.

Nothing replaces the feeling of actually HOLDING a book to read. I do the same thing, bring a couple and leave them in the library when I am done. Have you ever tried Bookcrossing.com, to follow your books travels? :-)

• 1 month later...

So is a small clothes steamer allowed or not? Would rather my luggage not be tagged with a naughty item and held hostage for longer than necessary. If it's a no no what are some tips for getting out the wrinkles?

No steamers! You can do the old "hang 'em in the shower & turn it on hot" and try & steam them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Dang it will have to leave the new steamer at home. Well at least we won't be the only wrinkled family aboard. Lol

That's right! I worried the first cruise, but others are slightly wrinkled as well. If you're in a grand suite, the concierge MAY be able to do some pressing for you. Alas...I just travel in balconies, and am slightly wrinkled..

Edited by CCC3

So is a small clothes steamer allowed or not? Would rather my luggage not be tagged with a naughty item and held hostage for longer than necessary. If it's a no no what are some tips for getting out the wrinkles?

Clothes steamers (any size) are on the prohibited list. Some people report good results with Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

That's right! I worried the first cruise, but others are slightly wrinkled as well. If you're in a grand suite, the concierge MAY be able to do some pressing for you. Alas...I just travel in balconies.

Interior connecting promenades for us! We are happy to have kids in their own rooms and access to two bathrooms this time as our "kids" are much bigger than me this time around. Haha