Capt. Kate on the Summit.

Fishkillbill

Does anyone know when Capt Kate will be on vacation in 2017?

Laura

I believe that she leaves today, will be back in three months:

Dec 10 to Mar 10 +/-

Mar 10 +/- onboard to June 10+/-

June 10+/- vacation... etc

The switch normally takes place on turnaround days but the captains may be onboard several days early for a hand over.

However there may be a transfer to another ship as (a) or (the most) senior officer leaves for the Edge project leaving a vacancy on another ship.

It is impossible to say with any certainty as there have been so many unpredictable transfers of masters during this year.

I would like to add that Captain Alex who alternates with Captain Kate on the Summit was very visible and personable. He joined the water volleyball game in addition to being at all functions .we attended. I have sailed with both of them and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

I have heard nothing but nice things about Captain Kate but.... we were lucky enough to be on the Summit sailing to Bermuda in August with Captain Alex and he is by far my favorite Captain. What a great guy. Alex and his officers were everywhere interacting with the guests. Had so much fun with him and his staff playing pool volleyball. What is weird or intrusive about taking pictures or a video anywhere on the ship?? I see 100's of them all the time on youtube taken many myself. .:eek:

Edited by southernbreezes

Just my opinion but I think it intrusive to think of even filming a captain having lunch in the buffet, let alone putting it onto YouTube. Luckily it's hard to see much, although I do feel sorry for the lady in the pink tee shirt!

I thought we were looking at "the lady in the pink tee shirt1"

Just got off the Summit 12/3-12/10...My wife and I were very confused about the hoopla regarding Kate. She seems like a nice person, but I am still waiting on her to levitate or walk on water....

She didn't walk across the water on the pool deck for you? Oh, you missed out. Wait until she takes one of the ships thru the Suez Canal -- she will definitely part the Red Sea. :rolleyes:

When I read all this stuff about women breaking through the glass ceiling and how women heap praise on their sisters because one of their own has finally been found competent doing what men have done for hundreds of years, I look back on my forbears and cringe. The reason is because my forbears the members of the male Community in New Zealand were the first to give women the vote and its been downhill ever since. If only they could have realised what a Pandora's box they created.

when i read all this stuff about women breaking through the glass ceiling and how women heap praise on their sisters because one of their own has finally been found competent doing what men have done for hundreds of years, i look back on my forbears and cringe. The reason is because my forbears the members of the male community in new zealand were the first to give women the vote and its been downhill ever since. If only they could have realised what a pandora's box they created.

lol. :d

I believe that she leaves today, will be back in three months:

Dec 10 to Mar 10 +/-"

Correct. We left Summit last Sat. Captain Katy and her husband who sailed with her last week left on the same date. We were on the same flight with them SJU to MIA. During a communication on board she said she would be back on Summit after vacation and mentioned 2 cruises she was particularly looking forward to.....a NJ to Bermuda trip which coincided with a major yacht race ending in Bermuda while they will be there and the second where Summit will be docked in Boston on July 4th.

Why? Because she speaks to passengers? That tells me near zero about her leadership skills and won't do much for morale either.

Personality skill is a leadership skill. Most cruises I have been on the Captain had zero personality and was better fit to be on a Cargo ship or oil tanker. Having a outgoing personality is better for the crew and the passenger experience (on a Cruise Ship). I have been seeing the change in the ships Captains over the years and a Captain like Kate or Alex will bring me back to that Cruise Ship over and over again. Being a women or being American has nothing to do with her personality skills. She just has it all.

Proof look at the ongoing comments about her this is not going to end. People love her for her leadership skill (personality).:):)

I query how any passenger on a cruise ship is competent to question the leadership skills of any Master. The interaction between the Captain and crew is not sufficient to make a judgement. Captain Kate's attraction in my view is that she is an attractive woman who speaks a language in an accent easily understood by Western passengers in particular women. Had she not been an attractive looking woman who spoke English as a second language in a strong Greek accent I wonder if the comments would have been so complimentary. I haven't been on a cruise ship with a female Captain but I have done 6 cruises in Celebrity and always found Kate's male counterparts professional and obliging. Am I being sexist in my comments, probably but I want a captain who is a competent driver and will get me safely to my destination. I can live with the fact that he may not look good in lycra or spandex running around the jogging track at 6.00 am or cant be understood over the main broadcast at 10.00 am telling me where we are and how much water there is under the keel. When choosing a cruise ship I couldn't care less who the Captain is or who the Hotel Director or chief engineers are. They have little impact on my enjoyment or experience. I do however care on the resultant products of their experience,

I don't know, but I won't let that stop me from commenting. I would think that, for the most part, the Master is able to impact the morale of those members of the crew who are involved in moving the ship. For all other crew members, I would think the hotel director is the highest ranking officer who has an impact on their morale.

I query how any passenger on a cruise ship is competent to question the leadership skills of any Master. The interaction between the Captain and crew is not sufficient to make a judgement. Captain Kate's attraction in my view is that she is an attractive woman who speaks a language in an accent easily understood by Western passengers in particular women. Had she not been an attractive looking woman who spoke English as a second language in a strong Greek accent I wonder if the comments would have been so complimentary.

You are being a sexist and a bigot. Captain Kate's popularity has little to nothing to do with her being a women or speaking good English. You are the only one that I have ever heard comment on looking good wearing spandex no one has said she is a playboy pinup. She has been the Captain on many many sailing with no shipwrecks so she can drive a ship, no more need to prove that her ships are safe. I cruise to have fun and I love a Captain with personalty, male, female, British, Italian, German and even Greek does not matter. If you do not care Great, but some of us do.

I don't know, but I won't let that stop me from commenting. I would think that, for the most part, the Master is able to impact the morale of those members of the crew who are involved in moving the ship. For all other crew members, I would think the hotel director is the highest ranking officer who has an impact on their morale.

You should attend some of the Celebrity/Cruise Critic Connections parties on the ships you would know more about who and what effects morale. You can ask them directly.

You should attend some of the Celebrity/Cruise Critic Connections parties on the ships you would know more about who and what effects morale. You can ask them directly.

Do you mean that if I attend one of these parties, the crew will tell me that their boss adversely affects their morale?

Edited by davidhurt

Do you mean that if I attend one of these parties, the crew will tell me that their boss adversely affects their morale?

If you attended one you would know - The boss is there all of them!! See for yourself.

Some crew is also there to serve drinks.

Edited by southernbreezes

• 4 weeks later...
I have been on a significant number of ships. I have no idea who was the captain on any of them nor did I care. The only reason that I know that none of them were Captain Kate was that all of them were male.

I might point out that for a long time, there were were no airline captains on major airlines that were female. Now I have been on flights where the airline captain was female and I did not see the passengers making a big deal about that. To me, it is demeaning to Captain Kate to make a big deal about the fact that she is both a captain AND a female. The world should be as gender neutral as possible and making a big fuss about her sex is not being gender neutral. Just my opinion.

DON

Good point. I agree.

Edited by galensgrl

We find Captain Kate to be an absolute gem!

She is tremendously capable, engaging, vivacious, and seems to genuinely enjoy interaction with the passengers.

As for her technical skills..., on our recent sailings we saw several instances where under her leadership the ship did some excellent maneuvers. I would have total confidence in her at all times.

CM