Credit card on file

Does anyone know if it needs to be a credit card on file for the sea pass or a debit card will be ok? Do they put a hold on it so I can't use that $$? Thank you! I'll be on the majesty

You can use a debit card, but holds have been reported. The hold seems to depend on how the financial institution handles daily charges.

Better to create a cash account and pay it off on the last night with the debit card. This is one way to avoid holds.

There seems to be an aversion here to debit cards for some reason but allow me to clarify how the authorization process works... No matter if you put a debit or credit card down (both are fine), the ship will automatically authorize however much you spent the prior day very early in the morning. For example if you put $60.00 worth of charges on your SeaPass on Monday, on Tuesday morning they'll run an authorization for $60.00. Same for each day going forward. Note that it's not cumulative, they will only continue to authorize the difference from the prior day. At the end of the cruise, they release all of the authorizations and submit a final charge to your bank.

To avoid any complications with holds of any sort, I'd suggest stopping by Guest Services on Day 1 and asking them to pre-authorize what you expect to spend over the course of the week. This will prevent multiple authorizations from going through AND from your bank possibly flagging the card due to this. As soon as the final charge settles at the end of the cruise, this pre-authorization will disappear.

When compared to cash, this is a much easier process as it prevents you from having to stand in line forever at Guest Services on the last day.

Edited by TrojanUSC

... At the end of the cruise, they release all of the authorizations and submit a final charge to your bank. ...

Herein lies the problem. Some financial institutions don't release the daily holds until some days after the cruise.

Debit cards are tied to your BANK ACCOUNT...credit cards are not. Any "holds" on your credit card will not affect your bank's cash stash! However, "holds" on your bank's funds CAN tie up your money...

Use either CASH (bring what you think you'll need), or a credit card. That way, your checking account isn't tied up.

Bear in mind that NOTHING is actually CHARGED to any account until the cruise is over.....so you can use a credit card, then go and pay it off in cash, if you don't want charges to your credit card.

Edited by cb at sea

I post this in everyone of these threads when they pop up because I have used a debit card on every cruise I have been on and I work for one of the large national banks.

RCI will not place a hold on your debit card. Your daily charges are run through everyday while on the cruise when you use a debit card as your payment choice. On the last day of the cruise the only charges that you have remaining is anything that you may have charged the last day of the cruise but everything else during the cruise has already been debited and no need to settle anything at the end of the cruise.

With that being said, being that it is dealing with taking money from your checking account.....can problems arise????? Of course they can and for that reason I have an account that I use only for cruises and other vacations that is not tied to my main checking account that I use on a daily basis to pay bills etc. and it is an account that only be used with debit cards. If there are any problems or issues on the ship or if I use at hotels or any place else it does not tie up my money in my main account.

One other thing is to always make sure that you contact your bank or credit card issuers to give them your itinerary and dates of your cruise so they won't flag your cards as suspicious activities and cut them off. :cool:

If you set up a cash account, you do not need a credit or debit card on file. You do not need to put any cash up front, Royal will let you charge up to $500 before asking for money. Then just go to guest services and pay the $500 with your debit card and then you can charge another $500 before they ask for money again. Only disadvantage is waiting in line to settle your account the last evening.

My main issue i guess is if I put a credit card on file, do I need a certain amount available on it. Thank you for clarifying the other stuff :)

My experience has been either no holds whatsoever, or only enough to cover daily spending.

I have always used a Credit Card for our cruises and have a separate acct for our cruises, so when the CC bill comes in, I pay it off with that Cruise Acct. I make monthly deposits leading up to our cruise so there is plenty in there. I also alert our bank as to our travels as well as our Credit Card companies.