Tundra Tour..does departure time matter?

SCHappilyRetired

We have a choice of a 6:00, 7:00 or 8:00 am departure. Any thoughts from those who have done this tour which would be better? This is our first time in Alaska and on Princess. Thank you!

Is it a ship excursion or independent?

If it is independent, ask the operator.

Specific scenario: My ship arrives at 8:00 the independent tour was supposed to depart at 8:30 - I felt that was close, but I did not want to wait until the 10:30 departure... I asked if the 8:30 would work with us docking at 8:00 would be cutting it too close - he felt it was & now we are meeting at 8:45 for a 9:00 departure.

I have only done the tundra Wilderness Tour once, but I think each of these times are early and it will not matter. I would do the 8 am as it will give you time to eat breakfast and get to the tour headquarters. I think 8 is when we did it and we saw lots of animals. We were one day too early, though and did not get to the last post on the tour, but saw lots of elk, ptarmigan, wolf, bears (three) and several moose, sort of close. It was wonderful! What date is your tour?

Well, The tour doesn't start at the lodge. You get a bus to transport you to the site, then you have to get on a bus that is similar to a school bus, but has nicer seats! I was worried about bathroom breaks being every 90 minutes, but let me tell you, time flies when you do the tour. I loved it! Be sure to take a snack, the lunch is okay, but we really needed a snack and also a bottle of water. You can buy those things the night before your tour.

Well, The tour doesn't start at the lodge. You get a bus to transport you to the site, then you have to get on a bus that is similar to a school bus, but has nicer seats! I was worried about bathroom breaks being every 90 minutes, but let me tell you, time flies when you do the tour. I loved it! Be sure to take a snack, the lunch is okay, but we really needed a snack and also a bottle of water. You can buy those things the night before your tour.

Calico Cat gave me the impression her tour started from the ship hence my answer mine is starting at the lodge. I guess "tour start" is when you get on the a bus similar to a school bus. My apologies.

The animals are more active early. If the temperature is cool, they stay active longer. Just to be safe, go early. As another poster said, the are many tours going every day. The time you book is just an hour window. If you feel adventurous, take the Eilson Shuttle from the Wilderness Acess Center and not the Princess offering. It goes farther into the park and the Princess Shuttle can get you to the WAC for your reserved time.

Wow, quite a number going in! I think the 8 will work well. Thank you.

I did the earlier one last time and there was a mob for breakfast with long waits. You board a Princess bus that takes you to the park and then the TWT bus.

I wish I brought my own lunch and will do that this trip.

There was a great visitor's center there and I wished I had more time to explore it before the last bus left the park. Keep bus times in mind if you want to visit the center (can't remember the name of it right now).

p.s. Don't forget extra camera batteriers and memory cards!

If you are taking the Tundra Wilderness Tour that you booked through Princess, your bus will pick you up at the Lodge; you won't have to change to another bus at the Park Entrance. You can take whatever start time is best for you. The reality in Alaska is that the days are very long and most of the time you'll see wildlife active around the clock. If your goal is to see the Mountain (Denali) earlier is better. It's only visible about 30% of the time, and the later it gets in the day the more likely it will be covered by clouds.

There is a lot of wrong information above.

There are no "independent" tours into Denali. IF a NHT or TWT is INCLUDED or upgraded through the cruiseline- with any cruise tour package- those pick up direct from the lodges you are staying at. You also do have the option to book tour and shuttle buses direct http://www.reservedenali.com ALL shuttle buses pick up at the Wilderness Access Center, there are various pick up locations with the tour buses.

All the cruise tour lodges DO have shuttle buses to the WAC. Especially with Princess- in the past, they refunded the NHT and TWT. BIG benefit and cost savings. You get further into the park - to at least Eielson, with the "upgrade" available with no additional funds. The Eielson shuttle bus- does require you to break away from your "group", and requires some effort- with getting to the WAC, (simple shuttle bus), and taking all your food and drink with you (plenty of options available, including limited selections from the WAC). Denali is about- distance- the farther you get the more you see. Eielson is also a very worthwhile Visitor Center with information exhibits, ranger programs, running water and flush toilets. :)

If Princess does refund per your request, you HAVE to book your own shuttle bus. It's a waste of time to try and get Princess to do it- they will NOT. Be certain to get all your information before you book and line up your lodge shuttle bus and Denali bus correctly.

Many people have taken advantage of this option with always rave reviews. So a very worthwhile opportunity for anyone taking advantage of it.