cruising with 7 month old, passport ok?

glituner32

passports are the gold standard of identification, but in a few years you will need to retake the picture, which essentially is a new passport

A child's passport is valid for 5 years. Even though your child will change in appearance over those 5 years, you do not have to get a new passport until the old one expires.

If your last name and her last name are the same then no problem, if you have different last names it may be prudent to take the BC to show parentage.

not true, the passport is in the kids name, no BC is necessary

When traveling out of the country with minors, you have to show that you have permission to take the child out of the country. Thus, if the last names are different, and BC will show who the parents are. A passport does not do this.

When traveling out of the country with minors, you have to show that you have permission to take the child out of the country. Thus, if the last names are different, and BC will show who the parents are. A passport does not do this.

... to avoid doubt and being asked for Affidavit of Consent.

My kids are 7 and 4, I have yet to get a passport for either one of them and we've been to many different countries. I'm holding off till they are 16.

REALLY???? Did you fly to any of these countries??

IF you have just done closed loop cruises then no you don't need a passport for your children but that's not really "been to many countries". That's stepping off a ship from the USA.

IF you fly to any foreign country your children will need passports with perhaps the exception of Canada(or Mexico).

The passport only names the child, it doesn't show that the child is the posters daughter, as I stated, if the last names are the same, normally no problem, however if the child has a different last name to the poster then she will have to prove parentage, a BC is a good way to do this.