Cancel a cruise

chloe kitty

Did you not have travel insurance? Always a good idea, but I understand if you don't. I know you are losing the cruise if no insurance, so see if you can transfer it to someone like a friend or family member. If you are going to lose the money anyway, why not try. I think the port and government taxes are not part of the penalty. The best advice I can give is to call NCL and find out for sure. Hope this helps.

I may need to cancel a 10day cruise about 30 days prior to the departure date. We know we will lose the amount paid for the cruise, but will we also lose the port charges. If anyone has any experience like this, I would appreciate any info.

Thx

You will lose the amount paid for the cruise according to the cancellation schedule. Don't know if it's 100% of the top of my head or not at 30 days out. You will be refunded port fees, prepaid gratuities, shore excursions, etc. I am not sure about any fees paid for the drink/dining packages though.

Yes, 30 days out is when you hit the 100% penalty period for a 10-day cruise :( And transferring the booking entirely to someone else also probably counts as a cancellation, but if that's a possibility in the OP's case they should call and ask about that.

I almost cancelled my recent cruise 21 days out

Being at 100% I figured why bother to cancel?

I could do it then or right up until boarding if I chose or if my circumstances changed

Glad I didn't cancel 21 days out because the doctors orders to my dh did indeed turn out to be ...."I think a cruise would do you some good"

And it did if course!! Lol

Btw we had insurance and the reason for cancellation would be covered

IMHO no reason to cancel at 30 days when the penalty (100%) is the same at 24 hours out

Situations change but if they do at and you cancel early and lose all your cruise fare all you have allowed to happen is to give Ncl lots of time to resell your cabin and make 2x as much on it

And they absolutely will be able to resell that cabin 30 days out

I feel this way because if they won't refund you why should they be able to resell the cabin

They should give you a refund if they can resell the cabin...even up to departure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

You will get your port fees and promo service charges back whether you cancel or no show.

Is it on the Gem? The Gem never offers solo discounts so you might find luck selling your cabin for half price to a solo cruiser. That way you could just switch one name and recoup half of your costs.

I agree with not allowing NCL to charge you full price and then resell the cabin. Especially if you can gift it or sell it.

This could be a win for a solo cruiser and less of a loss for you.

That's an interesting idea, to add a second person to the booking and then have the original guest no-show. Not something I would want to enter into with a complete stranger, but if I knew someone who could go in my place, I would certainly look into it.

Giving NCL a chance to resell the room isn't just good for NCL, it's also good for whoever ends up cruising in that room. And I assume it's also good for the room steward (but now I'm sure someone's going to come along to declare that they get paid the same even if the room sails empty).

I had to leave the Epic after 24 hours. NCL refused to refund any part of fees/taxes. We went back and forth for several months. They never said it's not their policy, never acknowledged my specific request, only that if they "compensated" me, it would be unfair to others.

I sent one final email asking for documentation, to submit to the insurance company, specifying that NCL refused to refund any fees/taxes. Nope. Just more of the same blather about "compensation".

That's an interesting idea, to add a second person to the booking and then have the original guest no-show. Not something I would want to enter into with a complete stranger, but if I knew someone who could go in my place, I would certainly look into it.

Giving NCL a chance to resell the room isn't just good for NCL, it's also good for whoever ends up cruising in that room. And I assume it's also good for the room steward (but now I'm sure someone's going to come along to declare that they get paid the same even if the room sails empty).

You are correct!!! They do get paid the same if the cabin sails empty

What they potentially lose out on is the extra cash tip the pax may give them

I agree that they should not be able to sell the cabin again.

Please explain why. Not selling it means someone who wanted to go on the cruise last minute can't go, much as they might want to. If you can't go, why shouldn't someone else use your room and enjoy a cruise?

--Michael

Please explain why. Not selling it means someone who wanted to go on the cruise last minute can't go, much as they might want to. If you can't go, why shouldn't someone else use your room and enjoy a cruise?

--Michael

It's simple....if they resell the cabin then the original pax who cancelled and lost money should be reimbursed

No rational justification for Ncl to keep your money if they can resell the cabin

If I were to be in the position to miss a cruise I would just be a no show

Three years ago, on a 50th Anniversary cruise with family, my oldest grandson was a no show. New job and couldn't get the time off. I asked about refund of the port taxes and fees but was told no. I did not receive anything back on his ticket. One other grandson had a cabin all to himself and absolutely loved his cruise. Room service and video games at any time of the day or night. He was in teenage heaven.

It's simple....if they resell the cabin then the original pax who cancelled and lost money should be reimbursed

No rational justification for Ncl to keep your money if they can resell the cabin

Agree, 100%.

Whether we like it or not it's a business and we have a contract with them. When we book that is the terms we agreed to.

I can understand why people are repulsed by the idea of the cruise line selling a cabin twice, but that is what helps pay for the parts of the cancellation policy that work in your favor. (Coming from Europe, I can tell you that US/North American customers benefit from a rather generous policy).