Eclipse, rough seas?

Preacherman46

Well I didn't look to see where they are, but the Bay of Biscay can be rough.

Or a storm crossing the Atlantic can affect the weather there. Eclipse had 20+ foot seas on a TA we took in 2011 (I think that was the year) from Southampton. It wasn't the European weather, it was an early US storm that crossed the ocean and brought 40 and 50 foot seas. The captain cancelled our two ports in the Azores and opted to tuck us into the northern part of Spain for two ports. We still had the 20 foot seas which was pretty amazing. But we avoided 40+ seas. Sad to miss the Azores but not sad to miss the bad weather. 20 foot seas is really rocking and rolling and half the ship was empty with people just staying in their cabins, but we don't have an issue with motion. Just hanging on in the shower. I will say it was the first time I ever saw a large salad bowl in Oceanview FLY down the line and land on the floor 10 feet away face down. The captain came on the PA twice or three times that rough day to remind the ladies that it was formal night but to please not wear the beautiful tall heels with their gowns so they wouldn't fall. :D

I have been on cruises where people complained about the waves/motion and I had to wonder where they'd been because I thought it was pretty calm. Everyone's different. The captains do a great job managing the weather, but sometimes it's just unavoidable and one knows that, of course, when one steps aboard a ship that's going out into the open ocean.

Well I didn't look to see where they are, but the Bay of Biscay can be rough.

Or a storm crossing the Atlantic can affect the weather there. Eclipse had 20+ foot seas on a TA we took in 2011 (I think that was the year) from Southampton. It wasn't the European weather, it was an early US storm that crossed the ocean and brought 40 and 50 foot seas. The captain cancelled our two ports in the Azores and opted to tuck us into the northern part of Spain for two ports. We still had the 20 foot seas which was pretty amazing. But we avoided 40+ seas. Sad to miss the Azores but not sad to miss the bad weather. 20 foot seas is really rocking and rolling and half the ship was empty with people just staying in their cabins, but we don't have an issue with motion. Just hanging on in the shower. I will say it was the first time I ever saw a large salad bowl in Oceanview FLY down the line and land on the floor 10 feet away face down. The captain came on the PA twice or three times that rough day to remind the ladies that it was formal night but to please not wear the beautiful tall heels with their gowns so they wouldn't fall. :D

I have been on cruises where people complained about the waves/motion and I had to wonder where they'd been because I thought it was pretty calm. Everyone's different. The captains do a great job managing the weather, but sometimes it's just unavoidable and one knows that, of course, when one steps aboard a ship that's going out into the open ocean.

They may be headed for Bermuda, coming back from England and down our coast. She actually enjoys ship movement but...:)

we have friends who just returned from a carnival TA cruise barcelona to new york via bermuda Only 2 good days the entire cruise.....and first time they have sailed carnival said the staff were not interested, food just ok overall were not impressed

Folks often exaggerate "rough seas" for whatever reason. Last week we were docked next to a P&O ship which had just made a crossing (to the Caribbean) and folks told us that is so rough that many passengers decided to leave the cruise in the Azores (which is actually before most of the crossing). Later we happened to run into a group of other passengers and asked them about the rough crossing. They looked surprised and said there were a few bouncy days...but no big deal. They admitted that a rumor circulated on the ship that a few passengers did get off in the Azores....but they had no clue as to why.

DW and I have been on cruises with seas in excess of 40 feet (in the middle of Hurricane Bob...back in 1992) and we have done one crossing where we had 3 straight days of 30foot+ seas. It was no biggie and most folks hardly talked about the rough seas....because it was a longer cruise with many experienced cruisers. The biggest complaint was that they could not fill the pool or hottubs for 3 days. DW and I actually enjoy the rocking and rolling and find it a nice change from the usual smooth days.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

DW and I actually enjoy the rocking and rolling and find it a nice change from the usual smooth days.

Hank

If you would be sensible to sea sickness, you wouldn't.

I don't get seasick easily, but I do get. And I think it is not my fault :)

I was sick on a catamaran sailing and I can absolutely understand people that want to get off the ship even if it TA is not really started because they feel so bad.

It is true that you get used to the rocking, but it still depends on how sensible you are.

If you would be sensible to sea sickness, you wouldn't.

I don't get seasick easily, but I do get. And I think it is not my fault :)

I was sick on a catamaran sailing and I can absolutely understand people that want to get off the ship even if it TA is not really started because they feel so bad.

It is true that you get used to the rocking, but it still depends on how sensible you are.

I have been seasick....and it is no fun. But these days it does not happen on a regular basis and I normally love the motion of the sea. For folks that routinely get seasick...perhaps they should consider a land vacation. We see too many cruisers who get sick when the ship barely moves...and wonder if they have simply picked the wrong mode of travel. The bottom line is that ships sail upon the sea...and will move if the sea moves. No matter how large the ship....the long swells will make her rock.

But when folks here on CC are looking for supportive comments that a future cruise will be upon smooth seas....they are simply grasping at phantom waves. Nobody can make the prediction and rough seas can strike nearly anywhere in the world at any time. "Long swells" can travel hundreds or even thousands of miles before they rock a ship and that is just a fact. As to stabilizers, they are little help with pitching...which can happen when swells are coming hard on the bow or stern.

Hank

We cruised the med about 8 years ago when there was a terrible storm. The ship rocked for most of the week. Day 1 youngest son aged 10 was ill. Took him to the medical centre where they gave him a shot of something. He slept for 4 hours and then was absolutely fine for the rest of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums