Another 1st timer sailing celebrity (reflection)

smileytrips

We usually cruise with Princess and are super excited to finally do a Celebrity cruise. Booked this cruise hastily (30 days away) because airfare kept going up and I would really appreciate some clarification on some things. ....Besides the main dining room, buffet and mast grill, are there any other dining venues that do not have an extra cost associated with them? (we do not have a suite or aqua class) booking this late our only option was the late dining that I'm not crazy about. ...Am I correct that the Master Cellars is not included in any beverage package and that it is in self serve dispensers? I'm mostly a red wine wine drinker and I have not purchased a beverage package yet. Also, I read recently on the board somewhere that Celebrity does offer bottles for only $20 at the buffet. Any confirmations on that??....Celebrity does not have an app for texting cruise mates on board so how can we communicate with one another besides paying the high fee for unlimited internet? my cruise is not listing any other packages but I am assuming once on there will be others???...Is there a piano bar?...Thanks you for your help. Any and all tips and trick appreciated

@smileytrips - a ton of questions and I'll try to hit as many as I can. We, too, are on the Celebrity Reflection in the next couple of months.

Besides the main dining room, buffet and mast grill, are there any other dining venues that do not have an extra cost associated with them?

For no-cost dining, you've hit the main ones. There is also the Aqua Spa cafe (near the Solarium Pool) that offers free food. Don't remember the hours, but it is very light food, and I view it only as a snack or breakfast. There is also Cafe Al Bacio (the coffee bar) that has pastries and desserts at no cost. As a suggestion, if you really don't like the late dining, try going to the Matre'D when you get on board and see if you can switch to early or to Anytime/Select Dining.

Am I correct that the Master Cellars is not included in any beverage package and that it is in self serve dispensers? I'm mostly a red wine wine drinker and I have not purchased a beverage package yet.

Yes and no :) The enomatic wine machines (self service after you buy a pre-paid card) are not included in any package. However, you can use your classic or premium package here for wines/beers that are on Cellar Master's list. Note: even if the price of the enomatic wine WOULD fall in the package, it still isn't included. For a look at recent wine prices, check out @seadog67 's great review / live commentary on his trip on the Reflection (I think he comes back this saturday, so any questions you don't get answered, he seems very happy to find out for you). Then buy him a drink :)

Also, I read recently on the board somewhere that Celebrity does offer bottles for only $20 at the buffet. Any confirmations on that??

I have not seen that, but it doesn't mean it's not true.

How can we communicate with one another besides paying the high fee for unlimited internet?

Many people put notes on their door using magnets, etc. Walkie-talkies are annoying to others trying to relax and don't work well, depending on where you are on the ship. Don't have a great answer for you. You also could set up meeting time/locations for check-ins...

My cruise is not listing any other packages but I am assuming once on there will be others?

Generally that is true. Dining packages, beverage packages, etc are almost always available. Sometimes on the busy (Xmas - New Year's) cruises they limit the specialty dining, but rarely (ultimate dining does sometimes get limited).

Is there a piano bar?

I wish, but no.

Happy sailing!

In addition to the MDR, Oceanview Cafe and Mast Grill the pastories, cookies, cakes at Cafe al Bacio are at no charge. The Aqua Spa cafe is also no charge for most items and you do not have to be in Aqua Class to eat there.

Cellar Masters has wines covered by the Premium package, not sure about whether or not they have wines on the Classic package. DH would get a glass of wine at Cellar Masters every evening & then join me at the Martini Bar. Speaking of bars Celebrity does not have piano bars on their ships.

Just off the Reflection'sTA and they were selling bottles of wine for $20. They could not be taken into the MDR or speciality restaurants. Intended to be consumed in the buffet or your cabin. Wasn't familiar with most brands except Beringer White Zinfindal which sell here for $4. - 4.50 a bottle. They had a Pinot Noir -Spy Hill which I know nothing about, a merlot, cab, and 2 whites.

The Reflection is a beautiful ship, enjoy your cruise.

Interesting, no piano bar. We too are Princess cruisers and our first Celebrity is March on Reflection. I must say, looking back, there were two Princess cruises where the piano player dominated the bar. OK if you wanted that but spoiled the main Atrium bar as a place to socialize.

The Reflection is a gorgeous ship. We have sailed on her twice. We generally prefer Celebrity over Princess for the overall value and presentation.

Other than the answers already provided, I would like to elaborate a bit more.

The Enomatic wine dispensers in Cellar Masters are being eliminated by Celebrity, because they frequently malfunctioned. The machines may still be visible on the Reflection, but I doubt they are operative.

You have the option of Select (Anytime) dining in the MDR. Best to make your time reservations at Guest Relations as soon as you step aboard. You cannot do that online.

The buffet on Reflection is MUCH better than the Princess buffets. We will often eat there in the evening instead of the MDR. They offer theme nights such as featuring Greek night, Indian/Curry night, English Pub night, Thai night, etc. They will also have the standard fare of prime rib, fish and shrimp, chicken dishes, etc. I prefer the Mongolian BBQ which is offered every evening in the buffet. I suggest you try the buffet a couple of nights.

You can usually buy a specialty restaurant package for around $129 for your choice of four restaurants (on Reflection - Tuscan grill, Murano, Qsine, Lawn Club Grill) on embarkation day. You will see a table set up in the Atrium area. This is about comparable to Princess' $29 for a specialty restaurant. I highly recommend this package, especially the Lawn Club Grill. We think it is one of the best restaurants on the high seas. Qsine is a dining "experience" you must try at least once in your life! Ask for Eva as your server in Qsine if she is still aboard the Reflection. It will be an unforgettable night.

We like the Ensemble Lounge on the Reflection for drinks and light entertainment. They will have a piano player, string duet, solo guitarist, etc.

One other thing, the ice cream bar is complimentary on Celebrity, unlike Princess. About 12 flavors of exotic ice creams, made fresh on board, that change daily. We will often skip the dessert in the MDR and head straight for the ice cream bar after dinner.

Celebrity does a few things different than Princess, but I think you will really enjoy yourself.

Edited by El Crucero

Thank you, I will head to Guest Relations as soon as I board and hopefully get the select dining option. Good to hear the food is better on Celebrity because we certainly have been extremely dissatisfied with all the food venues on Princess. Although, I do like Princess' alcohol policy allowing me to bring on as much wine as I want for only $15 corkage each!!:) On Celebrity, will I be allowed to purchase a beverage package on the second day of the cruise so I can check things out to make sure I'm going to use it?

Yes, you can purchase a beverage package on day two or three - and they prorate it. I think you have to do it up to 3 days before the end of the cruise. Many people do that. Or if they have a classic package they try it out for a day or two before deciding to upgrade (or not) to premium. We've never purchased one and probably never will because we don't drink coffee and we drink no alcohol during the day and maybe only 1 or 2 adult beverages in the evening - so it wouldn't "pay." We do enjoy it a bit more in the evenings when we get a package:D

You may bring on two bottles of wine (per cabin). No corkage fee if you drink them in your cabin or if you pour a glass in your cabin and bring it with you to dinner, or out and about the ship. Just get your steward to bring you some glasses and an opener if they aren't already in your cabin.

You may also bring virtually unlimited soft drinks and bottled water. Just put a luggage tag on them when you drop off your luggage at the port. We have done that every time before we were given beverage packages.

Your gonna love the Reflection!

Our 1st Princess cruise was in 1992, our last was the Ruby in 2012. Our 1st Celebrity was in 1994, sailed the Reflection in 2013.

The Crown Grill was a big :(

You can buy a beverage pkg until the 3rd to last day. It covers everything 'liquid' served, bottle water, juices, coffee, ( no 10 cup card ) soda, beer, wine, and cocktails. The packages have different price limits, Classic will cover well liquor and base beer n wines. The Premium covers the better brands used to make those fabulous Martini's!

Here is a "Live from the Reflection" thread, seadog is on ship now, excellent, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2419168

Any other questions let us know.

EW

Thank you, I will head to Guest Relations as soon as I board and hopefully get the select dining option.

Do not go to GR. Go to the the main dining room, and see the Maitre'd there. :)

Edited by Texed

Do not go to GR. Go to the the main dining room, and see the Maitre'd there. :)

I only suggest that one go to Guest Relations so that they can direct you to the proper personnel. But it appears that you can now make your reservations on-line before you cruise. That would be the best option.

If you are in traditional dining & want to change to Select see the Maitre'D; if you are in Select and want to make reservations you can do that on-line. Reservations are not necessary in Select dining but if you want to dine at a popular time they may be helpful.

Have you booked a balcony or inside cabin. We order coffee and light breakfast each morning and enjoy it on our balcony. Room service is free. Highly recommend a beverage package. We had basic alcohol package and it was great to get a bottle of water, soft drink, smoothie or alcoholic beverage anytime. If I paid for every drink I had I would have more then exceeded the cost of bev. package. I always took bottle of water with me off ship. The Aqua Spa cafe in the solarium has fresh smoothies that are included in the beverage packages, yummie. Also cafe al bacio has great coffee included in package. The library, midship serves coffee for free and we often went there for a quick cup. --You must check out Sunset Bar. Nice music at sailaways, very quiet and intimate at night. Have a great cruise

We usually cruise with Princess and are super excited to finally do a Celebrity cruise. Booked this cruise hastily (30 days away) because airfare kept going up and I would really appreciate some clarification on some things. ....Besides the main dining room, buffet and mast grill, are there any other dining venues that do not have an extra cost associated with them? (we do not have a suite or aqua class) booking this late our only option was the late dining that I'm not crazy about. ...Am I correct that the Master Cellars is not included in any beverage package and that it is in self serve dispensers? I'm mostly a red wine wine drinker and I have not purchased a beverage package yet. Also, I read recently on the board somewhere that Celebrity does offer bottles for only $20 at the buffet. Any confirmations on that??....Celebrity does not have an app for texting cruise mates on board so how can we communicate with one another besides paying the high fee for unlimited internet? my cruise is not listing any other packages but I am assuming once on there will be others???...Is there a piano bar?...Thanks you for your help. Any and all tips and trick appreciated

I hope you are not counting on good entertainment.

Yes we do have a balcony and will most definitely be getting room service. As far as entertainment is concerned we are not usually into production shows but really enjoy listening and dancing to a live band? A good band can really make the cruise. Hope they at least offer that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

As far as entertainment is concerned we are not usually into production shows but really enjoy listening and dancing to a live band? A good band can really make the cruise. Hope they at least offer that.

There will be a dance band in the Sky Lounge until the wee hours of the morning, most nights. Even better, you will also enjoy the Silent Disco in the Martini Bar on many nights. Always check the daily bulletin for what is happening that night.

Just as an FYI, the drink packages do not cover room service or the mini-bar in the room.

Also, seeing Texed (long story) reminded me, don't miss the waffles in the buffet, best to get the ones right out of the grill.

Edited by dkjretired

We are sailing on Reflection for New Years. This will be our first Celebrity Cruise (previous were Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival). We will be in a Sky Suite and we have pre-purchased the Premium Drink Packages. Can anyone tell me if the Mini-Bar will be stocked and if we can order drinks to our room included in the package, or does our Suite include that? I definitely want a stocked mini bar (Diet Coke, Sparkling Water, Bottled Water) and am not sure if they will do this for us or if I should bring drinks on board with us. I am hoping that this will be included either through the Premium Package or the Suite category? Thanks so much for your help. Haven't been on a cruise in 8 years so really looking forward to it. My friend who is a travel agent highly recommended Celebrity.

We are sailing on Reflection for New Years. This will be our first Celebrity Cruise (previous were Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival). We will be in a Sky Suite and we have pre-purchased the Premium Drink Packages. Can anyone tell me if the Mini-Bar will be stocked and if we can order drinks to our room included in the package, or does our Suite include that? I definitely want a stocked mini bar (Diet Coke, Sparkling Water, Bottled Water) and am not sure if they will do this for us or if I should bring drinks on board with us. I am hoping that this will be included either through the Premium Package or the Suite category? Thanks so much for your help. Haven't been on a cruise in 8 years so really looking forward to it. My friend who is a travel agent highly recommended Celebrity.

Since you have purchased the Premium Drink Package, you can get all the Diet Coke (or other brand available), sparkling water, bottled water at any bar you want. You cannot use your drink package for anything in the minibar. You cannot order drinks from room service on your drink package.

No need to bring soft drinks on board. They are all on your drink package but you cannot order them from room service.

Since you have purchased the Premium Drink Package, you can get all the Diet Coke (or other brand available), sparkling water, bottled water at any bar you want. You cannot use your drink package for anything in the minibar. You cannot order drinks from room service on your drink package.

No need to bring soft drinks on board. They are all on your drink package but you cannot order them from room service.

Thank you, Sandtrap. This makes sense. After I posted I also found a thread that mentioned that there is a place called Michael's(?) where they have cans and bottled drinks that can be picked up/taken, so I thought I would get some each time I pass by and just keep a small supply in our room (and then order ice). I appreciate your time and help!