Celebrity CruiseCare and pre-cruise city

Chelly

For medical emergencies, does anyone know if Celebrity insurance covers a medical emergency that occurs during a one-day pre-cruise stay at European hotel? Or, does the medical coverage only cover day cruise begins until day it ends? Policy is unclear.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. :)

It states: "Medical Protection – up to $10,000 USD per person, for reimbursement of medical expenses incurred due to a covered illness or injury during the Cruise Vacation".

I understand that pre-cruise medical emergencies are not covered.

It states: "Medical Protection – up to $10,000 USD per person, for reimbursement of medical expenses incurred due to a covered illness or injury during the Cruise Vacation".

I understand that pre-cruise medical emergencies are not covered.

Thank you so much for responding, easyboy. I've been hoping to hear from someone on the boards.

I would call Celebrity to ask that question.

My interpretation of "Cruise Vacation" is from the time you left home until you return home.

I would disagree. I'm taking a 12 day cruise next summer. I will be gone for 31 days-- this is why I book outside insurance. They are not going to cover 31 days. An exception might be if you book the hotel through a cruise line package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone. I really appreciate your input. I've never purchased cruise line insurance, always independent insurance. My company of choice is Travel Guard. However, as I have "matured" the premium prices have become quite high. That is why I was curious about cruise-line insurance. Looks like I'll stick with my "better safe than sorry" option.

Really appreciate your suggestions and tips.:)

Hi everyone. I really appreciate your input. I've never purchased cruise line insurance, always independent insurance. My company of choice is Travel Guard. However, as I have "matured" the premium prices have become quite high. That is why I was curious about cruise-line insurance. Looks like I'll stick with my "better safe than sorry" option.

Really appreciate your suggestions and tips.:)

You might be able to buy a small private policy for pre-cruise, hotel stays, and airfare and then do the cruise insurance for the cruise itself??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "secret" of medical insurance (or any insurance) is to carefully read the policy. So the key here is the "cruise vacation" term which is clearly defined as follows:

Covered Cruise Vacation means a period of travel away from Home

to a destination outside your city of residence; the purpose of the

Cruise Vacation is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health

care or treatment of any kind.

So if have left home and traveled to your embarkation city....you would technically be covered. However, another important point is that the Princess policy is secondary to any other Group Insurance. In simple terms this means that your claim would first have to be handled by your regular medical insurance provider (assuming you have group medical insurance). You can then try to coordinate benefits with the Princess policy to see if you are able to get additional reimbursement not covered by your regular med policy.

Hank

The "secret" of medical insurance (or any insurance) is to carefully read the policy. So the key here is the "cruise vacation" term which is clearly defined as follows:

care or treatment of any kind.

So if have left home and traveled to your embarkation city....you would technically be covered. However, another important point is that the Princess policy is secondary to any other Group Insurance. In simple terms this means that your claim would first have to be handled by your regular medical insurance provider (assuming you have group medical insurance). You can then try to coordinate benefits with the Princess policy to see if you are able to get additional reimbursement not covered by your regular med policy.

Hank

A couple of things:

*I was inquiring about Celebrity Cruises CruiseCare insurance which could be quite different to the Princess policy you are referring to.

*If one has U.S. Medicare with supplementary insurance, it often does not cover medical emergencies out of the country.

A couple of things:

*I was inquiring about Celebrity Cruises CruiseCare insurance which could be quite different to the Princess policy you are referring to.

*If one has U.S. Medicare with supplementary insurance, it often does not cover medical emergencies out of the country.

Basic Medicare does not cover medical emergencies out of the country, but many Medicare Advantage plans do, including emergency evacuations.

There are lots of different types of such plans with different terms, coverage and restrictions, so for those who are Medicare eligible, it is important to find out just what is and isn't covered in your own policy.

Your own policy may already cover what you need, or you may want to supplement it.

Some people are frightened into throwing away money to buy unnecessary additional travel insurance that only duplicates coverage they already have.

Also take into consideration what travel insurance is provided by the credit card you use to pay for your trip.

I don't know if Celebrity's CruiseCare is the same travel insurance plan that RCI uses, but our travel companion's experience out of the country on an RCI cruise was that RCI's plan required him to file the claim with his own insurance policy first.

Then they only pay for whatever expenses your own policy doesn't cover, which in his case was very little since his own Medicare Advantage plan already covered most of his expenses.

Celebrity's Cruise Care does not cover costs associated with cancellation of privately booked shore excursions scheduled before, during, or after a cruise [generally, shore excursions during a cruise and booked through Celebrity can be canceled and are fully refunded with proper notice--waived if medically necessary if a problem arises while cruising--in any case]...

In some areas--particularly in Australia, New Zealand, and parts of Asia in my experience--some tour operators require substantive deposits [and sometimes payment in full] upon booking and do not refund regardless of reason [i encountered one in New Zealand--who was excellent-- who would not refund, and I certainly tried to negotiate it, even if the ship failed to port at the decision of the cruise line or local port authorities!]...

A couple of things:

Sorry bout that but the language is similar :). From the Celebrity policy:

care or treatment of any kind

And, as I said, the cruise line health coverage is "secondary" to your own health insurance and also capped at Usual and Customary. So, assuming you have other medical insurance coverage, they would have to first deal with the claim. And if they would fail to pay the entire cost you could certainly try to recover the difference from the Celebrity policy, but the claim administrator might deny any extra payment saying that your regular policy already paid the "Usual and Customary" amount. This is a standard ploy of most secondary coverage plans.

As to the Medicare issue, it is quite complex because Supplemental Medicare plans fall into one of several category types allowed by the Feds. Some of the plans do cover out of country emergencies and others do not! That is why I often will post that those with Supplemental Medicare Policies or Advantage Plans check directly their provider regarding international coverage (and ask for a written cite)! As to which type plans give you international coverage here is a link to some "government speak" which will not help most folks :(.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/medigap-and-travel/medigap-and-travel.html

The problem is that very few customers know which Type Supplemental Policy (called "Medigap" by the Feds) they have so even the Feds suggest that you contact your own insurance carrier before you travel.

And folks should always remember that if you incur medical expenses outside your home country you will likely have to cover the cost yourself...and later seek reimbursement. Getting reimbursement from any insurer can take weeks or even months...which is a real bummer if you had to lay out thousands or dollars (or more).

Hank

P.S. When I worked in the industry...we used to tell folks that figuring out medical insurance is akin to tip toeing through a minefield! If anything, the situation has worsened since my retirement.

Edited by Hlitner

I guess you have to consider what you want to insure. As we've, somehow, aged, we've moved away from an umbrella policy like Travel Guard. We now use our credit card's coverage for trip cancellation and as a suppliment to our medical insurance. We also keep a MedJet policy for medical evacuation. It depends what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I guess you have to consider what you want to insure. As we've, somehow, aged, we've moved away from an umbrella policy like Travel Guard. We now use our credit card's coverage for trip cancellation and as a suppliment to our medical insurance. We also keep a MedJet policy for medical evacuation. It depends what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Which credit card includes medical coverage? My Visa only covers cancellation,luggage and trip interruption.

For medical emergencies, does anyone know if Celebrity insurance covers a medical emergency that occurs during a one-day pre-cruise stay at European hotel? Or, does the medical coverage only cover day cruise begins until day it ends? Policy is unclear.

Although you have received some very logical and well thought out responses here, I urge you to call the insurance carrier directly and inquire. Make a list of your questions ahead of time. Make note of the date you called and the person you spoke with. Ask as many questions as you like and be very specific. This is he only way hat you can be certain the insurance will meet our needs. The responses here can not be relied upon to fit your circumstances.

AS an additional option, check into what your credit card offers for health insurance. Usually both Visa and American Express have coverage if you book and pay with the credit card. We always print off our booklet prior to going so we have the pertinent phone numbers. The coverage is very generous (unless you have an unstable pre-existing condition).

Which credit card includes medical coverage? My Visa only covers cancellation,luggage and trip interruption.

We have the Infinite travel Visa but our Amex also has coverage for health, cancellation and car insurance included. We never have to buy any of these things when on vacation (except the car insurance liability portion only which isn't covered in in St. Croix and Martinique). WE have to buy it separately there. You can find all the policies on a quick google search by typing in your card type and insurance coverage.