What would you do?

Cruisin 4 Ever

Well speaking of easy opportunities, I was once in the adult pool on the ship having a conversation with another female passenger. I was wearing rather pricey chanel sunglasses. Went back to my lounger to read my book, then decided to go for a dip this time left glasses beside my book in the pouch (pouch did not have chanel label on them) yep pouch and glasses gone, book still there. Needless to say I now travel with cheap sunglasses.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

That had to have been a boring book ;)

I understand that the door must be left open when an employee is inside and fully agree with the reasoning for it. I am talking about doors left open and the employee is not in the room- as in there are 4 or 5 doors open in a row. Yes, no doubt some of them have been vacated but that isn't always the case.

I think that member understands the multiple door issue when they wrote the following:

" As for cruise ships, I have seen the cabin stewards leave doors open on more than one cabin. Often they are performing the same task in multiple cabins rather than cleaning one cabin to completion at a time. Ie. pick up dirty towels, then go back and clean the toilets one after the other, than vacuum one after the other, etc.

I have talked to both housekeeping supervisors and security about it, when I noticed. They do not train them that way, and do frown upon it. "

I think that member understands the multiple door issue when they wrote the following:

" As for cruise ships, I have seen the cabin stewards leave doors open on more than one cabin. Often they are performing the same task in multiple cabins rather than cleaning one cabin to completion at a time. Ie. pick up dirty towels, then go back and clean the toilets one after the other, than vacuum one after the other, etc.

I have talked to both housekeeping supervisors and security about it, when I noticed. They do not train them that way, and do frown upon it. "

I was addressing the PP's comments about hotel staff, I apologize not being clearer.

Edited by sparks1093

I understand that the door must be left open when an employee is inside and fully agree with the reasoning for it. I am talking about doors left open and the employee is not in the room- as in there are 4 or 5 doors open in a row. Yes, no doubt some of them have been vacated but that isn't always the case.

Sparks, I would certainly not tell you have never seen it or it never happens at a hotel. Just that at a hotel, when management discovers this, it is a big deal. On the ships they are not as concerned about it. They really should be. It's not that american hotel companies are more concerned with guest safety than cruise lines, we are worried someone will walk off with our stuff as well (TV, radio, etc.). We once had a 60 inch flat screen stolen out of the lobby overnight. We had the thieves on security tape, but they were gone. It's a lot harder to get a TV off a ship. If passengers started reporting someone took the TV out of their cabin, and security couldn't find it, you can bet your house Carnival would start writing up employees who leave multiple doors propped open.

Are hotel and cruise ship staff honest and wouldn't steal? The majority probably are but you need to ask yourself why every company would lock up their storage rooms, install sophisticated POS to tack all cash & revenue transactions, have security cameras all over the place, perform regular inventory counts on their merchandise and carry out internal audits to test the accounting system. Internal theft by dishonest employees is a big issue and happens everywhere.

Edited by sfaaa

Heck, they steal. If someone thinks that every employee on a cruise ship is honest and a perfect example of a human being they are naive.

Disney employed a child molester. HAL employed a room service runner who raped, beat and tried to kill a guest.

No large corporation has 100% honest employees 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Internal theft by dishonest employees is a big issue and happens everywhere.

I think most places would agree that their biggest issue with theft IS internal!

I used to work loss prevention at a very high end store. While there was the occasional shoplifting and "grab and runs", most of our time was spent on setting up cameras in stock rooms and over cash registers to catch employees that were stealing from the company. It was 50/50 between the entry level positions (maintenance, sales associates, receiving, etc) and management.

Even non-retail employers deal with theft of office supplies and paper goods. Pens, copy paper, paper clips and sticky notes are the usual items employee take for home use. And more often than not, these employees don't see it as theft. :(

Most of these workers come from low income family and barely get any pay. While I would not want to see anyone lose their job or the opportunity to support their family, I would have reported it if I spoke with the steward the first time and he did it again.