First cruise out of port canaveral for epic=crazy!

mitsugirly

I asked at the excursion desk an hour ago and they said as far as they know we are going. They said two other ships are scheduled to go before us so we will find out soon enough.

Thanks for the update. I leave on Dec 3rd and was wondering if we would make to go GSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I asked at the excursion desk an hour ago and they said as far as they know we are going. They said two other ships are scheduled to go before us so we will find out soon enough.

Wow great news!!!! Fingers crossed!!!

I got the same answer a couple of hours ago however our excursion tickets in our room don't include anything regarding the cabana we have booked. ...so don't know.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I would really love to know if there are soda machines at the terminal.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Last week we boarded at the Royal Caribbean terminal and they had Coke machines near the rest rooms right before the boarding door. It was amazing to see how much water was confiscated along with one electric coffee maker!

Sorry this doesn't help with the new terminal.

Could you believe where they positioned the tables for Priority and Yellow??

What were they thinking (assuming there was any thought process whatsoever) in making you cross the existing line of exiting passengers so you could grab your bags and then work your way backwards to join that line.

Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

Yes, that was WAY disorganized! The debarkation was the worst we have ever experienced. We were yellow tags....and still had people on the ship coming off with ALL their luggage behind us! I also wondered if some of the back up was coming from the terminal/customs?????

We obviously arrived at a good time (10:30) for boarding. Dropped off luggage at terminal 1...then off to terminal 10 for parking...then bussed back to 1 for boarding. That was CRAZY....but once in the terminal, all went pretty quick and smooth. Still a long line, but kept moving decently.

We were sitting in Taste dining room by 12:30!!

Edited by CRUISIN' TOGETHER

I had a junior suite on deck 9 for Epic's first cruise out of Canaveral. Cruise off to nightmare start - four hours to get on board. Then crowded, and long lines everywhere.

I do want to say the food was excellent, lots of choices and everyone was nice though some of the crew were blank faced and just going through the motions. A magic comedian, Chip Romero was on board and was mind blowing good. Saw two of his shows. Excellent.

Back to the loading, I could almost understand all the delays at the port - NCL terminal not ready, so used RC terminal, computer problems, etc. except either somebody did not properly do the math, or they didn't try or worse yet, they tried to cut costs. In any case, they apparently did not expect 4,000 people to show up. They were prepared for about a thousand, maybe two.

The line was stretched outside the terminal building almost a half mile it seemed. A total reaction mess. Workers scrambling to make line corridors. It was obvious they had not prepared for the arrival of the Epic.

Then, once in the building, there was another snaking line through endless back and forth lines for another hour or two.

Here's my issue: The terminal had two sides. They elected to use only one. Customs/security had seven or eight inspection stations. They had four open with two reserved mainly for special needs and owner's cabin class customers. One Customs lady, very nice person, but just hanging out away from the action chatting with people in the line and otherwise just standing around said she was an inspector, but could not work the line because she was pregnant and could not be close to the magnetic machines. Ok, but then - WHY WAS SHE THERE?

So, they pushed about 4,000 people through basically half the usable terminal, and essentially using only two inspection sites.

Unforgiveable.

On board, for some bizarre reason they offered reservations for shows that were free and did not work real hard to make that known. I discovered it when I got into a line for a free show only to find out that I was not going to get in because I did not have a reservation. They also did not open the doors until just minutes before the show making everyone stand in line outside the venue in a long line.

Couple of things about that, when I finally found that detail in the general instructions about shows, it said you could make reservations either on the TV network reservation module, or using the NCL App, or going to the box office. Reservation making for free shows was actually not available on TV or their app. And a lot of free stuff did not require reservations, so there was no clear distinction between what did and what did not require reservations. If it was not available on the TV module or the App, why would I assume it would be required? Going to the box office meant waiting in yet another line.

The other thing that threw me off is why have reservations at all for free shows? Why not just open the venue an hour before and let those who want to see it the most come early? Made no sense to me. They seemed to go out of their way to find ways to make people stand in line.

I've heard many good things about NCL and port loading problems can occur any time, but I get really aggravated when it is not a bad luck thing, like a break down, or a last minute change, but just shoddy preparation like what occurred here. The Captain laid it all at the feet of the agents, but NCL hires the agents and gives them instructions.

Oh well.

On board, for some bizarre reason they offered reservations for shows that were free and did not work real hard to make that known. I discovered it when I got into a line for a free show only to find out that I was not going to get in because I did not have a reservation. They also did not open the doors until just minutes before the show making everyone stand in line outside the venue in a long line.

I've heard many good things about NCL and port loading problems can occur any time, but I get really aggravated when it is not a bad luck thing, like a break down, or a last minute change, but just shoddy preparation like what occurred here. The Captain laid it all at the feet of the agents, but NCL hires the agents and gives them instructions.

Oh well.

To be fair, the Captain is not "Miami" and has no say in what happens in the terminal. I was in that long line and barely had time to grab a burger before the muster drill. Once I was on board it was forgotten. I made my show reservations at 90 days for the big theater shows and on my tv for the smaller ones. I still arrived early. Most of those venues are tiny for the number of people onboard. The reservation requirement was in the pre-planning emails, in the dailies and on signage near the theaters. What else were they supposed to do?

I had a junior suite on deck 9 for Epic's first cruise out of Canaveral. Cruise off to nightmare start - four hours to get on board. Then crowded, and long lines everywhere.

I do want to say the food was excellent, lots of choices and everyone was nice though some of the crew were blank faced and just going through the motions. A magic comedian, Chip Romero was on board and was mind blowing good. Saw two of his shows. Excellent.

Back to the loading, I could almost understand all the delays at the port - NCL terminal not ready, so used RC terminal, computer problems, etc. except either somebody did not properly do the math, or they didn't try or worse yet, they tried to cut costs. In any case, they apparently did not expect 4,000 people to show up. They were prepared for about a thousand, maybe two.

The line was stretched outside the terminal building almost a half mile it seemed. A total reaction mess. Workers scrambling to make line corridors. It was obvious they had not prepared for the arrival of the Epic.

Then, once in the building, there was another snaking line through endless back and forth lines for another hour or two.

Here's my issue: The terminal had two sides. They elected to use only one. Customs/security had seven or eight inspection stations. They had four open with two reserved mainly for special needs and owner's cabin class customers. One Customs lady, very nice person, but just hanging out away from the action chatting with people in the line and otherwise just standing around said she was an inspector, but could not work the line because she was pregnant and could not be close to the magnetic machines. Ok, but then - WHY WAS SHE THERE?

So, they pushed about 4,000 people through basically half the usable terminal, and essentially using only two inspection sites.

Unforgiveable.

Couple of things about that, when I finally found that detail in the general instructions about shows, it said you could make reservations either on the TV network reservation module, or using the NCL App, or going to the box office. Reservation making for free shows was actually not available on TV or their app. And a lot of free stuff did not require reservations, so there was no clear distinction between what did and what did not require reservations. If it was not available on the TV module or the App, why would I assume it would be required? Going to the box office meant waiting in yet another line.

The other thing that threw me off is why have reservations at all for free shows? Why not just open the venue an hour before and let those who want to see it the most come early? Made no sense to me. They seemed to go out of their way to find ways to make people stand in line.

Oh well.

NCL (or any cruise line) does not control the people at the port. It's totally out of their hands. As for the shows, did you do any research before your cruise? You can make reservations months before you actually board. It is very necessary on these mega ships, with over 4000 passengers, and only enough seating for a fraction of them. I'd hate to stand in line for an hour, only to be turned away. On our last cruise, I made all of our reservations way in advance for shows and dining on the Breakaway. Our next cruise is on the Gem, so show reservations aren't needed.

We have never stood in line for a show on the Epic, thanks to the reservations system. We show up at the theater or other venue, and they swipe us in. People who want the best seats should still show up early, but with your system, anyone who wants any seat at all has to show up early and wait.

Did you ever try to get in to see the Beatles in the Cavern Club? That's what happens on the Epic when you offer free shows at prime time with no reservations.

Thanks for the insight. I accept responsibility for not being as thorough as I could have been. Nonetheless, if you tell passengers there are three ways to make reservations and two of them do not work, and the other requires waiting in line then the system has failed.

And the other system of no reservations and first come first served works fine. There were popular programs in the atrium and we got there early and grabbed a seat in the limited seating area. Chatted, relaxed with a drink and by the time the show started, there was standing room only. No one complained and everyone accepted it as it was.

We did attend the Beatles show and arrived early, got a good seat and enjoyed the show. I do not see any reason in keeping the venue closed until fifteen minutes before and make people wait in line.

Still, it was my first cruise with NCL and overall I was pleased and certainly accept responsibility for some of my own problems.

As to the port, NCL certainly does have a say. They are responsible for hiring the port agents, and as they built their own terminal, have a say in the management of their port operations. I don't blame the crew or the Captain, they are at the mercy of their management. There was a serious fall down by all involved - the NCL port management, the port, and the agents.

We did the self departure and though the line was tragically long, we got in line 45 minutes early which put us behind about 400 people. We managed to be through customs, into the parking shuttle, and into our car by 08:30. That part worked well for us. By 7:45 the line stretched the full length of deck seven and most of the way back. Crew seemed surprised and caught off guard by mass of people.

Did you ever try to get in to see the Beatles in the Cavern Club? That's what happens on the Epic when you offer free shows at prime time with no reservations.

Definitely try to see Epic Beatles in the main theater. When they played in Cavern Club it was standing room only outside the door. You have to get there early and fight to keep your seat.

Nonetheless, if you tell passengers there are three ways to make reservations and two of them do not work, and the other requires waiting in line then the system has failed.
I suspect that the shows were already fully booked by the time you figured out the system, that's why you could no longer reserve them on your TV or with the app. (And there is another way to make reservations without going to the box office, by using the touch screens located in public areas.)

I suspect that the shows were already fully booked by the time you figured out the system, that's why you could no longer reserve them on your TV or with the app. (And there is another way to make reservations without going to the box office, by using the touch screens located in public areas.)

Yes, good point. We did stumble on to the touch screens by the elevators late in the cruise when we saw someone using them. And I do recall thinking that the shows were already full and thus removed from reservation modules. However, I actually made a reservation for a show using the touch screens, and, it was for a show that was already blanked out on the TV. So no joy on that thought either.

I worked for a large commercial container ship operator for many years, and worked for terminal operators and was a boarding agent. One thing I learned about quality was it is in the details. I guess that is my beef. NCL seemed to miss a lot of details. This reservation system was one, boarding prep another and some small details can speak volumes about the attentiveness of the crew and staff. Take the the little vessel status strip that rolled across the top of the navigation/broadcast channel - It was inaccurate much of the time. Second day out, it showed distance from Port Canaveral as 1882 miles. The cruising day system it used did not match the day planner. Even the silly view from the bridge channel was obscured by a windshield wiper they stopped in the middle of the screen. Things like that reflect on the "situational awareness" of the crew. I heard a frustrated passenger explain in exasperation to a waiter that had just asked him if he would like a drink and the passenger said, yes, he would like the one he ordered an hour before. Little things add up. I was close to finishing a meal and still had the knife and fork in my hand when a waiter walked by, picked up my napkin and walked off with it Details. The devil is in the details.

Could you believe where they positioned the tables for Priority and Yellow??

What were they thinking (assuming there was any thought process whatsoever) in making you cross the existing line of exiting passengers so you could grab your bags and then work your way backwards to join that line.

Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

Sheez....

Hope the figure out a better plan for that before we cruise in February!!

Yes, good point. We did stumble on to the touch screens by the elevators late in the cruise when we saw someone using them. And I do recall thinking that the shows were already full and thus removed from reservation modules. However, I actually made a reservation for a show using the touch screens, and, it was for a show that was already blanked out on the TV. So no joy on that thought either.

I worked for a large commercial container ship operator for many years, and worked for terminal operators and was a boarding agent. One thing I learned about quality was it is in the details. I guess that is my beef. NCL seemed to miss a lot of details. This reservation system was one, boarding prep another and some small details can speak volumes about the attentiveness of the crew and staff. Take the the little vessel status strip that rolled across the top of the navigation/broadcast channel - It was inaccurate much of the time. Second day out, it showed distance from Port Canaveral as 1882 miles. The cruising day system it used did not match the day planner. Even the silly view from the bridge channel was obscured by a windshield wiper they stopped in the middle of the screen. Things like that reflect on the "situational awareness" of the crew. I heard a frustrated passenger explain in exasperation to a waiter that had just asked him if he would like a drink and the passenger said, yes, he would like the one he ordered an hour before. Little things add up. I was close to finishing a meal and still had the knife and fork in my hand when a waiter walked by, picked up my napkin and walked off with it Details. The devil is in the details.

I agree about the details. We are travelling for the first time with ncl in December on the epic out of Canaveral and we will be very very disappointed if we have an experience similar to the one you have described. The entire point of management is to plan for contingencies and since ncl has been around for quite some time you would think they would have it down.