Help - First time in Los Angeles

Bounce

Our family of 6 is taking a cruise out of San Pedro. We arrive at LAX the day before our cruise; our cruise does not leave until 9:00 p.m. the next day.

We would like to see LA while there.

Looking for suggestions on hotel - should we stay in Hollywood / Beverly Hills and then taxi to port? What nice hotel near sights would you suggest?

Or would you suggest going directly to port and trying to find a tour of LA from there?

Any suggestions for tours we could take? Thank you!

Our family of 6 is taking a cruise out of San Pedro. We arrive at LAX the day before our cruise; our cruise does not leave until 9:00 p.m. the next day.

Looking for suggestions on hotel - should we stay in Hollywood / Beverly Hills and then taxi to port? What nice hotel near sights would you suggest?

Or would you suggest going directly to port and trying to find a tour of LA from there?

I would take a hotel near Los Angeles or in San Pedro. Airport to Hollywood/Beverly is about $80 . Than you going to pay another $129 plus to get to the pier.

Most hotels can arrange a Los Angeles tour for you.

I would take a hotel near Los Angeles or in San Pedro. Airport to Hollywood/Beverly is about $80 . Than you going to pay another $129 plus to get to the pier.

Most hotels can arrange a Los Angeles tour for you.

Might be cheaper to do a one way car rental, pay for parking and return it down by the port or the Long Beach airport.

What exactly do you want to see? What are your interests? Seriously. The greater LA area is huge.

Beaches

Lots of gardens-Huntington, Arboretum

The Science museum is next to the Natural History museum. The Super Shuttle is here.

La Brea Tar Pits are classic LA. The Peterson Auto Museum is across the street.

LA Zoo, the Observatory, Travel Town (locomotives) and the Gene Autry Western Museum are all in Griffith Park. The zoo and the Autry share a parking lot.

Kids like to climb easy trails?

Malibu Creek State park is the home of M*A*S*H and Planet of the Apes

Vasquez rocks and William S Hart park hosted several original Star Trek episodes.

The Chatsworth parks have stagecoach trails. Many old westerns were filmed in and around here. Watch spelunkers at Stoney Point.

Lots of amusement parks.

Eat at an In n Out. Ask a local (cashier?) for a recommendation for a local Mexican restaurant, not Acapulco or El Torito.

Edited by SadieN

Could go to port or Long Beach. Long Beach has more tourist things. The Aquarium of the Pacific is small enough to go thru in 2 hours or can spend the whole day.

Edited by SadieN

Crystal Serenity does depart at 9:00 pm...but what time must you be onboard (usually a couple of hours before that)? Also crucial in the planning here is what time on the 8th you actually arrive at LAX...Remember, it takes some time to actually get off the plane, walk through the airport and collect your luggage...so leave some extra time in the figuring there...You may not have much time left that first day after you get to a hotel and check in.

Say you decide to stay near the port, it really does you no good if you are planning to spend the day sightseeing the typical LA tourist spots--which are mostly about 20-30 miles north of the port...But, if you did that, you would stay at either the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree in San Pedro or one of the nicer hotels in Long Beach (Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric, Renaissance or Westin). You would then use Sunseeker Tours out of Long Beach to take you--and your luggage-- on a full day tour of LA--starting early--and dropping you off at the ship, say around 6:00 pm (and remember, June 9 is a Friday, so traffic that afternoon will likely be BAD). Workable, but, again, what was the point in staying at the port?

You could leave LAX and take a shuttle or car service to Hollywood and stay there. My recommendation in Hollywood Proper--Loews at Hollywood and Highland...This puts you right in the heart of Hollywood tourist attractions--Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, etc. with convenient restaurants in the complex. The next day you could arrange a private tour of the rest of LA's top attractions, dropping you off at the ship (Most Tour companies here have standard tours that only pick up and drop off in Santa Monica, Hollywood and the West Side...but, for the right price and for six people, some may custom fit one for you (Again, Sunseekers may do this since they are based down by the port).

If you have more time on the 8th, my recommendation is to stay in Santa Monica...Lots to enjoy around there...nicer area than Hollywood...and you can arrange the same tour for the 9th--pick up early morning with luggage, end late afternoon in San Pedro...

Or you could rent a car and do it yourself...just make sure you have the day planned out well and consider the traffic getting to San Pedro...

The fact that there are six of you (ages?) will complicate things a bit. You probably won't be able to rent a vehicle except a minivan that will hold the people and the luggage, and you'll have to use multiple taxis to go anywhere.

I would be looking at options such as those mentioned by Bruin Steve - some means of solving the tour and cruise transportation issues in one.

Eat at an In n Out. Ask a local (cashier?) for a recommendation for a local Mexican restaurant, not Acapulco or El Torito.

SadieN, food is very subjective and I would not agree with you about not eating at Acapulco or El Torito. We have had excellent meals at both restaurants, and we lived in the L.A. Orange County area for 40 years. I love In-N-Out, but my wife will not eat there because she doesn't care for their hamburgers. Again, food is subjective:):)

SadieN, food is very subjective and I would not agree with you about not eating at Acapulco or El Torito. We have had excellent meals at both restaurants, and we lived in the L.A. Orange County area for 40 years. I love In-N-Out, but my wife will not eat there because she doesn't care for their hamburgers. Again, food is subjective:):)

I agree with Husky here...Food is highly subjective...

And, more importantly, where to eat has so many variables...better to figure out where they are going to be first...and go from there...

Say they're in Santa Monica and want Mexican...I'd probably send them to El Cholo, maybe Border Grill. Then there's the question of budget...if they want to spend a little and they're in Beverly Hills, there's Spago. If the want cheap eats and they're Downtown, by all means, don't miss Philippe's...If they want LA landmarks and they're in the right parts of town, there's Canter's, Dinah's, Gladstone's, Sagebrush Cantina, Lawry's, Musso & Frank, Miceli's and lots more...

Plan first, pick where to eat later...

The City of Los Angeles is very widespread....and mixed in are several cities that make the County of Los Angeles bigger than many countries (kidding, but not by much).

We live in the north west corner of LA and it's about 50 miles to the port from here. (the Chatsworth area mentioned by Sadie are close by, but one of the parks may still be closed due to contamination from the Santa Susana lab accident...but many do go to the Stoney point to climb the rocks there, just not my thing, plus if this is something you want to consider, you should rent a car...but seriously this would be better if you're staying in LA for more than just a day or two).

Other than that or going to the Reagan Presidential area, this part of the San Fernando Valley isn't much of a tourist place.

for places to stay, I would stay away from LAX or downtown LA. a suggestion: think about what you want to do in your short time here and then figure out an area to stay. then start another thread and ask about hotels in that area so you don't make a mistake and stay in a dicey area.

The City of Los Angeles is very widespread....and mixed in are several cities that make the County of Los Angeles bigger than many countries (kidding' date=' but not by much).

We live in the north west corner of LA and it's about 50 miles to the port from here. (the Chatsworth area mentioned by Sadie are close by, but one of the parks may still be closed due to contamination from the Santa Susana lab accident...but many do go to the Stoney point to climb the rocks there, just not my thing, plus if this is something you want to consider, you should rent a car...but seriously this would be better if you're staying in LA for more than just a day or two).

Other than that or going to the Reagan Presidential area, this part of the San Fernando Valley isn't much of a tourist place.

[/quote']

Part of Chatsworth Park South is closed. You can get into the park and get to the Stagecoach trail. There are guided hikes up there on a few weekends a month.

The Reagan Museum is in the Conejo Valley. About 20 minutes west of Chatsworth.

I wanted to tour Hollywood and Beverly Hills. The tour you mentioned would take us out the morning of our cruise and drop at pier. Fairly expensive - oh well.

But I like the idea of staying in Santa Monica - this area looks so nice! Maybe I'm being too ambitious wanting to see it all (we range in age from 10 - 72) and a focus on one area would be more enjoyable. We also fly in from different parts of the US.

Questions: 1.) Long Beach or Santa Monica ..... which would you choose?

2.) Are there shuttles from Santa Monica to San Pedro if we decide not to do the tour? Is transportation a nightmare? We probably want to get to the ship around 2 or 3 maybe.

3.) Where would you stay in Santa Monica? I looked at Georgian Hotel and Lowes. Others? We would like something nice (probably 3 in a room - suite) and close to attractions.

I so appreciate you help. Thank you.

Part of Chatsworth Park South is closed. You can get into the park and get to the Stagecoach trail. There are guided hikes up there on a few weekends a month.

The Reagan Museum is in the Conejo Valley. About 20 minutes west of Chatsworth.

Last few months have been driving on the 118 to Moorpark twice a week and pass by the sign. didn't realize that area was called the Conejo Valley (thought the whole area was Simi Valley) so just learned something.

I wanted to tour Hollywood and Beverly Hills. The tour you mentioned would take us out the morning of our cruise and drop at pier. Fairly expensive - oh well.

But I like the idea of staying in Santa Monica - this area looks so nice! Maybe I'm being too ambitious wanting to see it all (we range in age from 10 - 72) and a focus on one area would be more enjoyable. We also fly in from different parts of the US.

2.) Are there shuttles from Santa Monica to San Pedro if we decide not to do the tour? Is transportation a nightmare? We probably want to get to the ship around 2 or 3 maybe.

3.) Where would you stay in Santa Monica? I looked at Georgian Hotel and Lowes. Others? We would like something nice (probably 3 in a room - suite) and close to attractions.

Many land transportation companies will do point-to-point service with a private vehicle. the booking function on some websites may only give the more popular pickup/dropoff choices but you can always email or call to get a quote.

Santa Monica is always my favorite...Of course, I grew up in this part of town, so, maybe I am a bit biased...BUT, it definitely has the best climate (no smog, temperate temperatures) and is fairly upscale. Lots of shopping and restaurants as well as local attractions. The Santa Monica Pier has rides and tourist activities...and you may recognize lots of movie locations (like the Carousel Building which was used as a location for "The Sting"). Palisades Park has incredible views of the beach and ocean--especially at sunset...The Third Street Promenade has shops and restaurants and a number of entertaining street performers. It is a short cab or Uber ride...or even a reasonable public bus ride...or you can even rent bicycles for the trip...down to the Venice Boardwalk where you will see all of those typical Southern California beach scenes--the bodybuilders, the girls roller skating in bikinis, the volleyball games in the sand, etc. as well as street performers and artists...

I have a list of favorite hotels in the area...and, even though I have lived nearby most of my life, I have had a reason or two to stay in a couple of them from time to time...I was in the "Santa Monica Suite" at the Loews one time and the views of the Santa Monica Pier lit up at night were incredible (of course, this is one of the most expensive hotel rooms anywhere)...I wish I had taken a photo, but I didn't...I'll post a photo from a room I had at the Marriott Le Merigot as a thumbnail below...

Other top hotels in the area would be the Fairmont Miramar, Shutters-at-the-Beach and the Casa del Mar. The Wyndham is well located near the Pier and Third Street Promenade, but beware lower floor rooms facing the freeway as it is right beside the 10 Freeway. The Huntley is a smaller hotel but well located at the northern end of the Third Street Promenade. For a bargain hotel--not a high end place by any means--a converted 1950s apartment building, but well located--look at the Car Mar...

The Doubletree and the Sheraton Delfina are usually at a slightly lesser price--but the locations are not great, a few blocks walk from the prime areas...

To get to Santa Monica, it's about a 10 mile drive north of LAX, I would take Uber or a shuttle service...If your six are all arriving at the same time, one of the shuttle companies will get you a private van for a reasonable price. For the trip down to the pier, I would do the same...Shuttle companies (Super Shuttle, Prime Time, Karmel, Roadrunner, etc. can all arrange a dedicated van for your party...Figure about $108 plus tip one way from a Santa Monica hotel to the pier for a party of six in a dedicated van (quote from Super Shuttle site--party of six one way Loews Santa Monica to San Pedro port in private van). Transportation is NOT a nightmare...Traffic can be bad at times, but not so much if you are aiming at 2-3:00 pm...Figure some traffic...It's about a 30 mile trip and you'll probably figure on about an hour, give or take a little...So, leaving Santa Monica at about 1:00-1:30 pm will get you there in that window easily...

1936255788_LeMerigot610(640x480).jpg.b15bf252af325b89d373ed84eccaafc3.jpg

Last few months have been driving on the 118 to Moorpark twice a week and pass by the sign. didn't realize that area was called the Conejo Valley (thought the whole area was Simi Valley) so just learned something.

You didn't learn anything...you've just been confused and misled...

The Simi Valley and the Conejo Valley are two very different places...The Simi Valley lies to the north of the Conejo Valley...Both, geographically, are clear "valleys" large bowl-like features surrounded by hills or mountains. the Simi Valley is virtually entirely taken up by the City of Simi Valley...There are mountains south of it that separate it from the Conejo Valley--which is taken up by the City of Thousand Oaks--including Newbury Park...The mountainous area between the San Fernando Valley and the Conejo Valley--including the cities of Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Oak Park and Westlake Village--are referred to as "Las Virgenes"...

To get a decent idea of the topography, open Google Maps and look at the "Earth" option...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2336134,-118.7474768,30796m/data=!3m1!1e3

In that view, you can easily see the distinct valleys and surrounding mountains...

You didn't learn anything...you've just been confused and misled...

The Simi Valley and the Conejo Valley are two very different places...The Simi Valley lies to the north of the Conejo Valley...Both, geographically, are clear "valleys" large bowl-like features surrounded by hills or mountains. the Simi Valley is virtually entirely taken up by the City of Simi Valley...There are mountains south of it that separate it from the Conejo Valley--which is taken up by the City of Thousand Oaks--including Newbury Park...The mountainous area between the San Fernando Valley and the Conejo Valley--including the cities of Calabasas, Agoura Hills, Oak Park and Westlake Village--are referred to as "Las Virgenes"...

To get a decent idea of the topography, open Google Maps and look at the "Earth" option...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2336134,-118.7474768,30796m/data=!3m1!1e3

In that view, you can easily see the distinct valleys and surrounding mountains...

Not me, then. I've just been driving as far as Moorpark (actually the eastern edge) several times in the past few months, and have seen the Presidential library sign and knew it was in Simi Valley, the city...and thus, in Simi Valley, the valley. don't recall seeing any sign that said "Conejo."

Not me' date=' then. I've just been driving as far as Moorpark (actually the eastern edge) several times in the past few months, and have seen the Presidential library sign and knew it was in Simi Valley, the city...and thus, in Simi Valley, the valley. don't recall seeing any sign that said "Conejo."[/quote']

The Conejo Valley sign is on the 405.

The 405 does not go through the Conejo Valley. You are correct that the 101 goes through it.:)

DUH, the 101, not the 405 (face palm).

That's what I get when doing bills, laundry, hemming, having the Gas Co fix a leak and posting all at the same time.

ETA- and packing.

Edited by SadieN