Do I really need a power strip?

gepgelmik

Any reason why?

In fact, the entire reason that RCI does not allow power strips and extension cords is because of this Safety Notice from the USCG:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpwOG_jrPQAhUNy2MKHd7eD50QFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw&bvm=bv.139250283,d.amc

However, RCI and most lines don't want to spend the expense of training their security staff to recognize whether a power strip or multi-outlet is surge protected or not, so they go with blanket bans.

If you search my posts, you will find hundreds that deal with why surge protectors are not required on ships (none of the ship's electronics have them, not even the bridge and engine room systems), and are a fire hazard.

Here is a thread started by a CC member who is an electrical engineer, and did not believe that surge protectors were a hazard. You will find that by post #10, he has become a firm believer in the potential dangers of surge protectors on ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

As stated in many of my previous posts, using a surge protector successfully in the past is no guarantee of future good service, and in fact, the longer the surge protector circuit is exposed to shipboard electrical systems, the more likely it is to fail. I liken it to heart disease, as a silent killer, which will work fine right up until the moment it catches fire, caused by a ground fault somewhere else on the ship, and completely out of your control.

I was wondering if the TVs have a USB or not so then at least there are options for charging. Anyone know if these are newer ones on cruise ships? Bringing the extra stuff recommended seems a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While many of the newer TV's do have USB ports, they are disabled on the TV's on most ships.

I've never taken a power strip. The two of us don't use that many gadgets. I do charge camera batteries as needed and possibly my Kindle if it gets low, that's about it.

I do use the hair dryer and bring a curling iron--they normally plug in near the desk. If I absolutely have to, I just charge items one after another.

Thanks for the great info, everyone.

I plan on taking my Kindle (probably won't need to be charged), maybe my iPad or maybe my Mac, my iPhone, and maybe a camera. I don't use any electrical hair doodads. I found a video room tour and it showed 3 usb ports in addition to the 3 US plugs- doesn't seem like I'll need to take a power strip/usb thingy.

I guess it depends what you will need to charge as to whether you require a power strip or not.

As I download my photos daily, blog and email I need my laptop. My husband needs his Surface Pro for checking on work occasionally so he needs to bring this. We are away for almost three weeks to two months so we take our technology with us. So that means a power strip.

If we were only going away for a week we would do with less. We like having the option for FaceTime or Skype if we can get free wifi to connect with family. So we would at least take our iPad with us.

It depends so much on what you plan to use. We had a rule of no power boards to be brought on board but you could ask your cabin steward for one, so we figured we'd ask if we needed one but we never did.

We were recharging a gopro type camera after port days and all four of us had iphones/ipods, but we never had reception so only used them as cameras and the battery lasted ages. We found the single power point in our room was fine for our needs.

I know a bunch of people travel with electric toothbrushes, cpap machines, multiple cameras, hair dryers/straighteners, etc so I'd imagine that changes things a lot!

Carried a power strip on one cruise and never took it out and used it. We alternated charging at night, in the morning when we went to breakfast, in the evening when we went to dinner. We've been trying to cut down on what we pack. We ditched the over-the-door hanger, bungee cords, duct tape, insulated cups, and several other items mentioned as "must haves" and we haven't looked back.

Carried a power strip on one cruise and never took it out and used it. We alternated charging at night, in the morning when we went to breakfast, in the evening when we went to dinner. We've been trying to cut down on what we pack. We ditched the over-the-door hanger, bungee cords, duct tape, insulated cups, and several other items mentioned as "must haves" and we haven't looked back.

Never take any of those.

But have to take some form of power adapter so take one with a couple of USB outlets as well as two Power outlets.

• 1 month later...

Mainly just bumping this thread since I've seen a few new questions about this issue and thought reading the differing opinions already posted might be helpful to some.

For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... didn't email or blog or do anything with a tablet or lap top so the phones were about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used them. No biggie.

Going on my first cruise on the Anthem of the Seas soon! I've been combing the net for months to come up with a good packing list, and I know almost everyone recommends taking a power strip. However, I've got a room all to myself- does anyone know how many outlets are in an Anthem balcony room? Do I really need a power strip?

Totally depends upon how many things you need or want to plug in at the same time. How can we know that?

DON