Sydney-Hobart, Emerald Princess, questions review to follow

GUT2407

There is a drink list with about 7 cocktails to choose from in the lounge only and they are all $7.

e71b79135ce212217b336a38f4089d61.jpg

Thanks, we didn't get a copy for our cruise as the Captain's circle host took emergency leave.

Edited by MicCanberra

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be looking forward to hearing about the Emerald since we'll be sailing her next fall. I'm mostly interested in Crooner's Bar. This is our favorite bar on every Princess ship! The bartender's and server's there are always the best on the ship and I'm hoping that's true for the Emerald :) !

Hope you and Mrs. Gut have a wonderful cruise!

Crooners bar was great, staff were great. Service was great. The Diet Coke was great, Mrs Gut even downed a few Virgin cocktails.

Mrs Gut did her duty and wandered up to get me a Diet Coke, hadn't even got to the bar when sears the batman say "A Diet Coke for the lady, no straw", he had been in the lobby bar last year on the Diamond, and had spotted her with me and remembered my drink. Incredible! How many people had he served in that year? But he still knew.

Crooners bar was great, staff were great. Service was great. The Diet Coke was great, Mrs Gut even downed a few Virgin cocktails.

Mrs Gut did her duty and wandered up to get me a Diet Coke, hadn't even got to the bar when sears the batman say "A Diet Coke for the lady, no straw", he had been in the lobby bar last year on the Diamond, and had spotted her with me and remembered my drink. Incredible! How many people had he served in that year? But he still knew.

Some of them are absolutely freakishly awesome. Glad you are being looked after.:D

Morning Gut,

I thought I'd posted a question but now I can't find it so here goes again. Can you please see if the grill offers Souvlaki's. We used to get them on the Dawn Princess but they've not been available on the Golden or the Diamond, so we're assuming the Emerald is the same. I also wondered if you could check the patter for the first day or two to see if they offer a meet and greet for the 18-20's, I have a very shy 19 year old and we'd like to see if they still offer this.

Trish

I can't say there were no Souvlakis, but if there were I couldn't find them.

There isn't a m&g in the patter for that group.

But later we saw a sign, near explorer's for one.

There are a fair number in that age group on this cruise.

Gut I am curious about the new Club Class dining.

Have you seen any roped off areas in any of the dining rooms?

Or have they gone for something a little more up market.

There is a lot of speculation on the Princess board about whether this will cause increased wait times for anytime dining.

So far there has been nothing posted about CC from the Ruby (started 10th Dec) and it was suppose to start on the Emerald (12th of Dec) at the beginning of your cruise.

Gut I am curious about the new Club Class dining.

Have you seen any roped off areas in any of the dining rooms?

Or have they gone for something a little more up market.

There is a lot of speculation on the Princess board about whether this will cause increased wait times for anytime dining.

So far there has been nothing posted about CC from the Ruby (started 10th Dec) and it was suppose to start on the Emerald (12th of Dec) at the beginning of your cruise.

I haven't noticed anything, I'll see if I can find out.

I haven't noticed anything, I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks Gut for keeping an eye out for anything Club Class that you see.

A lot of posters on the Princess board are anxiously waiting for news from the Ruby. I think they have forgotten it also has started on the Emerald.

Have a great time on the rest of your cruise and thanks for taking the time to keep us poor cruisers stuck at home up to date.

Thanks for this Gut. I have a few....and will probably think up some more over time too.

1. What are the current shows and movies playing?

2. Are there early morning exercise classes available?

3. Are the spa pools crowded?

4. What is the Horizon Court buffet like compared to the MDR?

5. Are the self-service laundrymats busy?

1. I'll come back to this later

2. Mrs Gut reports plenty of early morning classes

3. spas seemed to be full everytime I looked.

4. Horizontal Court seemed to be exactly the same as I'm used to, good without rising to great. Laid out a bit different to Diamond, no seperate desert bar was noticeable difference. Couple of times thought there was less variety than I'm used to.

5. We didn't use the laundry this time, but stuck my head in a few times as I went past, now we were on Baja deck and I never saw all the machines in use at once. But then over seven days I wouldn't expect it to be real busy.

5. We didn't use the laundry this time, but stuck my head in a few times as I went past, now we were on Baja deck and I never saw all the machines in use at once. But then over seven days I wouldn't expect it to be real busy.

Depends on how many passengers there were like the one I met on one of our cruises. She washed, dried and ironed her husband's shirts every single day. Plus she sat in the laundry room while they were in the washing machine and dryer. What a waste of cruise time! :rolleyes: :eek:

Depends on how many passengers there were like the one I met on one of our cruises. She washed, dried and ironed her husband's shirts every single day. Plus she sat in the laundry room while they were in the washing machine and dryer. What a waste of cruise time! :rolleyes: :eek:

I agree, washing can wait til we are home.:D

I agree, washing can wait til we are home.:D

We don't mind putting a load through every 6-7 days when we're on a long cruise. We usually set the washing machine going, set an alarm on our phones then wander off somewhere. One of us goes back to the laundry at the appropriate time, switches the load into the dryer and sets another alarm. Once dry we take it back to the cabin and fold it, no ironing required. Anything that needs ironing, like DH's dress shirts or my linen pants, get sent to the ship's laundry.

It was nice on the Carnival cruise. We had one bag of free laundry as a suite privilege. We used it even though we didn't really need to. :D

That is extreme and I consider myself an every day laundryer......I will do laundry every three days on the ship, it's a holiday after all....love the timer idea. When we were in Thailand last year we did laundry every day....was hard work to fill a bag, drop it off and pick it up again ;)

BIG thank you Mr & Mrs Gut for answering the questions. How does a typical sea day look for you both?

I know they have taken the cheesecake and cream brulee off the MDR dessert menu but can we still get them somehow? Did you notice any red velvet cheesecake at the horizon court?

That is extreme and I consider myself an every day laundryer......I will do laundry every three days on the ship, it's a holiday after all....love the timer idea. When we were in Thailand last year we did laundry every day....was hard work to fill a bag, drop it off and pick it up again ;)

BIG thank you Mr & Mrs Gut for answering the questions. How does a typical sea day look for you both?

I know they have taken the cheesecake and cream brulee off the MDR dessert menu but can we still get them somehow? Did you notice any red velvet cheesecake at the horizon court?

No lunch getting Creme Brûlée so far, but waiter did say it would be on the menu one night.

The only spot I've seen cheesecake to date was the IC, where they seem to have it permenantly.

Thanks Gut for keeping an eye out for anything Club Class that you see.

A lot of posters on the Princess board are anxiously waiting for news from the Ruby. I think they have forgotten it also has started on the Emerald.

Have a great time on the rest of your cruise and thanks for taking the time to keep us poor cruisers stuck at home up to date.

Found Club Class dinning.

Starboard side of DaVinci is set aside for it, looked half empty which may explain why you have lines like I've never experienced for ATD.

Would like to know if Princess are running the Elite/Platinum lounge in Skywalker at 5pm each day on the Emerald & Golden this year in Australia.

Also because I like the odd drink or two, are they running Happy hour twice a day to quench the thirst?

Thanks.

Have seen no mention at all of the Platinum lounge, in the past there has been an invitation in the cabin setting out each days arrangements. Though I haven't gone looking as yet either, due to the foot.

Happy hour 10:00-11:00 browsing the Patters it appears to be the only one each day.

Thursday - Scenic Cruising Wineglass Bay and Oyster Bay

Truly spectacular cruising, the Capt did a great job of getting is in close where we got a fantastic view.

Had lunch in the MDR with a nice window seat where we got to see the views while we ate which was very enjoyable.

A bit of a rest for the foot, sitting on our balcony as we go through Oyster Bay, though it is a tad cool.

The crew seem to suffer a bit from having an extra 500 passengers crammed into the same public space, they don't seem to be as happy and friendly as we are accustomed to.

The other thing I have noticed is that many things we have gone to have been running late, trivia, late, longer cruise talk, late, photography lesson, late (but then as is the norm the presenter might benefit from a course in photography.

The Port Lecturer has been a bit of a disappointment, just one example spending what seemed like half the time talking about Salamanca Markets, when they aren't operating the day we are there. Just seems like he has a pat talk that doesn't allow for the fact that not everything is operational every visit.

About 5:00, not long after leaving Oyster Bay one of the Rocky outcrops was surrounded by seals frolicking in small groups, Mrs Gut and I had been watching them for a few minutes when the captain made an announcement, but looking at the wake I suspect he had seen them some time ago, as the ship had taken a curving path to get to the rock.

No lunch getting Creme Brûlée so far, but waiter did say it would be on the menu one night.

The only spot I've seen cheesecake to date was the IC, where they seem to have it permenantly.

Probably a good thing for my waistline to have it off the menu and only at the IC.;)

Have seen no mention at all of the Platinum lounge, in the past there has been an invitation in the cabin setting out each days arrangements. Though I haven't gone looking as yet either, due to the foot.

Happy hour 10:00-11:00 browsing the Patters it appears to be the only one each day.

The platinum/ elite lounge (happy hours in skywalkers) were not advertised on our Golden cruise either but it was available. We just went up and found it was on.:D

Thursday - Scenic Cruising Wineglass Bay and Oyster Bay

Truly spectacular cruising, the Capt did a great job of getting is in close where we got a fantastic view.

Had lunch in the MDR with a nice window seat where we got to see the views while we ate which was very enjoyable.

A bit of a rest for the foot, sitting on our balcony as we go through Oyster Bay, though it is a tad cool.

The crew seem to suffer a bit from having an extra 500 passengers crammed into the same public space, they don't seem to be as happy and friendly as we are accustomed to.

The other thing I have noticed is that many things we have gone to have been running late, trivia, late, longer cruise talk, late, photography lesson, late (but then as is the norm the presenter might benefit from a course in photography.

The Port Lecturer has been a bit of a disappointment, just one example spending what seemed like half the time talking about Salamanca Markets, when they aren't operating the day we are there. Just seems like he has a pat talk that doesn't allow for the fact that not everything is operational every visit.

About 5:00, not long after leaving Oyster Bay one of the Rocky outcrops was surrounded by seals frolicking in small groups, Mrs Gut and I had been watching them for a few minutes when the captain made an announcement, but looking at the wake I suspect he had seen them some time ago, as the ship had taken a curving path to get to the rock.

Shame about the weather and subsequent crowding impacting the cruise. Activity staff must be struggling with the extra demands and bigger crowds as well. Glad your ankle is improving and you got to see some wildlife off the balcony. That is always worthwhile. Keep smiling.:D

Found Club Class dinning.

Starboard side of DaVinci is set aside for it, looked half empty which may explain why you have lines like I've never experienced for ATD.

Thanks Gut for searching that out.

Interesting about the wait for ATD. I think you are right about CC dining impacting on the wait time for ATD.

I hope they tinker with the number of tables they need for CC. As this is just new thing it will probably take a few cruises to work out the numbers. Maybe that is hopeful thinking.