Live from the Star on the way to Singapore

GUEST080219

Michael, any word on the Koh Samui port yet? I understand devastating rain, floods and mudslides have caused it to be declared an emergency area. Poor folks!

Umm,

nothing heard about it at all. That is really sad as I had a great vacation there a couple of years ago.

To be honest the information policy on board is a -5 on a scale from 1 to 10 even for the actual cruise. If you need some information about the next ports and procedures I had the best experience asking bar staff about it and not guest service. And forget about the management informing you proactively.

Just got word from my tour agent on Koh Samui.....

"hank you for your email. The situation on Koh Samui is safe and there are no real damages but few places that had some flooding damages. The good news is that it stop raining and all the roads are functioning as normal without delays. Therefore we happy to inform you that we will be running Private 4x4 Off Road Samui Island Safari for Cruise Ship visitors as planned. We hope the weather nice and dry on Tuesday 13 December and in accordance to the best weather forecast for Koh Samui it supposed to."

Am I the only person who's reading this and thinking the cruise sounds like a bit of a nightmare?

Hope you enjoy your cruise, but this wouldn't be one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our op seems to spend a lot of time with guest relations

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Am I the only person who's reading this and thinking the cruise sounds like a bit of a nightmare?

Hope you enjoy your cruise, but this wouldn't be one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a nightmare at all. Just look at the itinerary and all the exciting countries and places I had the chance to visit.

It is just a shame that NCL has done such a great itinerary for a first time, a wonderful well maintained ship, lovely crew on the F&B department and still misses so many obvious chances to make the cruise of this length and through this area of the world truly special. They are delivering the usual basic NCL product with the standard entertainment and activities which are sometimes borderline bad even for a 9 day cruise but pretty much awful and uninspiring for a cruise like this.

It did look like such an amazing itinerary..... so many countries and cultures to explore. I wonder if it's possible to "import" local entertainment.... say a group of dancers in Oman, or the arabic drummers and singers from UAE? That would have been interesting... or maybe even get Ali Al Saloom, a middle eastern personality to come and provide some insight into the countries and their cultures and differences? I can only imagine what all could have been brought on board from India, especially for those without visit visas - could have been a treat.

It is just a shame that NCL has done such a great itinerary for a first time, a wonderful well maintained ship, lovely crew on the F&B department and still misses so many obvious chances to make the cruise of this length and through this area of the world truly special. They are delivering the usual basic NCL product with the standard entertainment and activities which are sometimes borderline bad even for a 9 day cruise but pretty much awful and uninspiring for a cruise like this.

Why are cruisers so quick to justify poor service by saying it depends on the butler, waiter, bartender, etc. In suites, which are actually priced at double or triple regular staterooms, service should always be good, not just if you're lucky. Have we as cruisers become so accustomed to inconsistent service that we now expect and accept it. Something just seems very wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are correct. Something is wrong with the system. I guess it relies on the assumption butlers will provide good service because they get tips. Maybe their is too much work for them. I would like to see an actual post cruise rating on butlers and concierges. On DCL for example there is more emphasis on this.

It did look like such an amazing itinerary..... so many countries and cultures to explore. I wonder if it's possible to "import" local entertainment.... say a group of dancers in Oman, or the arabic drummers and singers from UAE? That would have been interesting... or maybe even get Ali Al Saloom, a middle eastern personality to come and provide some insight into the countries and their cultures and differences? I can only imagine what all could have been brought on board from India, especially for those without visit visas - could have been a treat.

I completely agree! We go to see these amazing places but want to take the flavor of the country back on the ship with us. I know they were featuring a dish in the dining rooms that are somehow related to the port of call. Are they still doing that? But also some entertainment or cultural entertainment would be wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums