Question about Toilets

peajay84

No idea, all I know is that it smelled up until we got to Fort Lauderdale and then it went away for the second part of our trip. I do know that they hook up to municipal water in port. Maybe that has something to do with how the system treatment works. This was the first trip where we have noticed a smell

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Nope, no connection at all. The ship is not really hooked up to municipal water, they are simply loading water into their storage tanks. And any water taken on in port has to be segregated for 18-24 hours until a bacteria test is done, so that would have nothing to do with the waste water treatment plant.

What's so funny? You must be concerned as well because you started your own thread entitled: SEWER SMELL. LOL

Shortly after I read this I was reading the review for the Carnival Glory and noticed a lot of people talking about the sewer smell so I figure out this must be a trend. It's a little different topic though because this is something that affects the entire ship and not just confined to one particular room. That is why I had to start that post. :)

Thanks for your excellent information, chengkp75! After a few "behind the scenes tours" on Carnival and HAL ships, I have never heard the Environmental Officer in charge of the sewage system describe how it works to block odors coming into the bathrooms of staterooms.

I know some of the comments have been a bit off topic of what the OP was asking but I wanted to pass this on. I watched a program about the RC mega ships and during the show they got into the issue of how they handled human waste. If crap can be interesting, this was. The liquid is treated and dumped into the ocean and the solid goes into an incinerator where it is burned down to an ash and placed in garbage bags and disposed of when they get back to port. So technically they burn the crap out of that stuff.

Thanks for your excellent information, chengkp75! After a few "behind the scenes tours" on Carnival and HAL ships, I have never heard the Environmental Officer in charge of the sewage system describe how it works to block odors coming into the bathrooms of staterooms.

Well, typically there is an Environmental Officer who handles the solid waste recycling and hazardous material documentation, and the Environmental Engineer who handles the waste water treatment plant. Never the twain shall meet. The Environmental Engineer typically also does not deal with waste systems outside the engine room. The hotel maintenance team's plumbers, under the Hotel Engineer or directly under the Staff Chief Engineer will handle the plumbing and toilet issues.

But, as I say, this is just common plumbing. If you close your house up for a season and go away, when you come back, most of the rank smell will be from dried out traps allowing sewer gas back into the house. Running the water in all sinks and showers takes this away.

Well, typically there is an Environmental Officer who handles the solid waste recycling and hazardous material documentation, and the Environmental Engineer who handles the waste water treatment plant. Never the twain shall meet. The Environmental Engineer typically also does not deal with waste systems outside the engine room. The hotel maintenance team's plumbers, under the Hotel Engineer or directly under the Staff Chief Engineer will handle the plumbing and toilet issues.

But, as I say, this is just common plumbing. If you close your house up for a season and go away, when you come back, most of the rank smell will be from dried out traps allowing sewer gas back into the house. Running the water in all sinks and showers takes this away.

More interesting information! Thank you! The organizational chart for a cruise ship must be an extremely complex document.

This is probably a strange question but are the toilets in the staterooms like normal toilets? Do they have water sitting in the bowl? Or are they like RV toilets where there is only a little bit of water in the bowl and more water runs through it when flushed?

Usually when we travel I bring essential oil to drip into the bowl for combating odors but this doesn't work in RV like toilets.

Very strange indeed.

More interesting information! Thank you! The organizational chart for a cruise ship must be an extremely complex document.

Yep. As I sit on a tanker full of gasoline heading up the East Coast, I have an engineering department of 7 (4 officers and 3 crew) (21 total souls onboard). On a 2200 pax cruise ship, 900 crew, I had and engineering department of 50.

Ship cabins always smell anyway. When I get home from a cruise, everything I took in my suitcase goes into the washing machine whether it was worn or not simply because all my clothes smell like a ship cabin. I usually take a travel sized bottle of Febreze with me to "freshen" up that stale cabin smell. I think this smell has gotten worse since Carnival scaled back use of air conditioning in cabins to save money. There simply isn't enough air circulation in cabins.

Ship cabins always smell anyway. When I get home from a cruise, everything I took in my suitcase goes into the washing machine whether it was worn or not simply because all my clothes smell like a ship cabin. I usually take a travel sized bottle of Febreze with me to "freshen" up that stale cabin smell. I think this smell has gotten worse since Carnival scaled back use of air conditioning in cabins to save money. There simply isn't enough air circulation in cabins.

Funny what folks come up with as perceived "cut backs". I can just about guarantee that Carnival has not "scaled back use of air conditioning". As with all HVAC design, 80% of a cabins volume is recirculated each hour. 20% of the volume is supplied as fresh outside air, and 20% is removed to balance the pressure via the bathroom exhaust vent. While the outside supply air fans can be variable speed, or have variable dampers on them, the exhaust fans (which serve multiple blocks of cabins) are single speed, so if they cut down on the supply air, you would feel a definite "sucking" towards the bathroom vent under the cabin door from the passageway. There would be very little savings if they renewed the exhaust fans or added variable speed drives to match any "cut back" in supply air.

They very likely changed the chilled water temperature that cools the air, and likely changed the supply air set points, but they have not changed the quantity of air that circulates in your cabin.

We use poo-pourri at home and when we cruise. It isn't putting anything harmful into the waste water.... and is probably infinitely better than the products many people rinse down the shower drain. It keeps the odors below the water line so there is no smell to cover up with air sprays. We use the scent called "party pooper". After we brought it the first time on a cruise, every time (for a while) we would use it back at home we would be reminded of our vacay :)

Edited by Athankfulheart