MSC Divina-The good, the bad & the ugly

jimmymed3

The whole point is to offer a different experience not just more of the same US style cruising. Some of it comes from the isolationist views of the US unlike the European culture of travelling far and wide and experiencing different ways of doing things

Variety is the spice of life.

Pete

Thanks for the review, good info

I enjoy traveling and seeing new places too. Been doing it for a long time. What is this isolationist guff? Without getting into Europe's problems,is this the place to start name calling?

Edited by L454S

I am looking forward to our February cruise! More so after this review and your videos. I also look forward to exposing my 8 and 11 year old boys to the cultural differences they will experience on this cruise versus what they have had on our DCL and NCL cruises which are catered to Americans. I want to enjoy our dinner and the time together....our evenings now are so fast paced with after school activities that this is what we are aiming for!

Again, thank you for fantastic good, bad and ugly... loved it all!

Thank you Capricruiser - I hope the Divina continues the Italian Style cruising - we will cruise in January and can't wait for a totally different experience!!!! My husband and I enjoy leisurely dinners. We are both Italian descent and this was how our parents raised us and how we raised our children and how they are raising their children (but with sports, scouts, ballet, etc., our kids and their families RUSH more than they would like) Not feeling rushed is going to be a nice change of pace!!!!!

The Italian style doesn't change no matter where the ship is sailing. If you're on an Italian ship it's almost like being in Italy even though they try to cater a little to the tastes of various nationalities. Enjoy it. You can get "normal" again when you get home.
Edited by GRANNYOFSIX

Thank you jimmymed3......I will keep checking YouTube for your daily video logs!!! Thank you so very much!!!:)

Grannyofsix, you are so welcome! We will be putting up our daily video logs soon so keep checking out our YouTube channel or Facebook for more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you SnorkelBoy.....glad to hear that we can use the vouchers in the dining room.....thinking it will be better to walk in with our drink or wine.....;)

You can use the vouchers in the dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I enjoy traveling and seeing new places too. Been doing it for a long time. What is this isolationist guff? Without getting into Europe's problems,is this the place to start name calling?

It's not meant to be name calling, it stems from the fact that the USA has all types of terrain there is ; Big Mountains; Deserts; Tropical Islands and there is no need to travel outside of the country to experience them.

So only 35% of US citizens have passports whereas 85% of Brits hold one, we have to travel to see types of landscape you have in your country , you lucky people.

My apologies if I used inappropriate terminology

Pete

The Italian style doesn't change no matter where the ship is sailing. If you're on an Italian ship it's almost like being in Italy even though they try to cater a little to the tastes of various nationalities. Enjoy it. You can get "normal" again when you get home.

If one eats in the buffet for dinner, is the drinking situation the same? Meaning if you want something other than wine, you'll be waiting a bit for mixed drinks and/or coffee?

Are the specialty restaurants the same?

Can you take drinks from one part of the ship (it sounded like there is a bar near the dining room, just not in it) into the MDR? Is that considered rude?

Is there a coffee/cappuccino bar/place close by the MDR that you can get something afterward?

Just asking ahead of time so I know to either request a refund of several of the drink coupons I pre-purchased (we like to have 2-3 drinks that aren't wine at dinner), or what my options are.

Is there a way to order say, coffee or something in a way that it'll come out the same time as one's dessert?

Thanks!

Edited by mjonis

Skier52 thanks for the good insight. You brought up some great points. It is very depressing to see most of my friends have no desire to travel outside the US and experience what the world has to offer.

We were cool with the leisurely meal. I just think MSC needs to make a note that it's the European style of dining so the Americans will be informed.

But yes, Americans need to get out and use their vacation time!

As for the menus, sad to say that we didn't take pics of them.

Thanks for all of the great feedback from the review!

Hey mjonis, Ill try to answer these the best I can...

If one eats in the buffet for dinner, is the drinking situation the same? Meaning if you want something other than wine, you'll be waiting a bit for mixed drinks and/or coffee?

Nope, to get your drinks yourself is much quicker. You can have the buffet attendants get a drink for you, but for quicker service, just stop by one of the two bars. There was never more than a few people waiting.

Not sure about this as we didn't go to any of them.

Can you take drinks from one part of the ship (it sounded like there is a bar near the dining room, just not in it) into the MDR? Is that considered rude? Feel free to bring your drinks wherever. I actually think its better to do that based on what we experienced. Not rude at all.

Is there a coffee/cappuccino bar/place close by the MDR that you can get something afterward?

There are two coffee shops midship. you have to walk past them to go to the shows.

Just asking ahead of time so I know to either request a refund of several of the drink coupons I pre-purchased (we like to have 2-3 drinks that aren't wine at dinner), or what my options are.

Id personally still keep them. Its a way better deal to use the coupons.

Is there a way to order say, coffee or something in a way that it'll come out the same time as one's dessert?

Just ask your waiter when you order at the beginning that you want coffee at dessert.

Hope this helps!

Can you take drinks from one part of the ship (it sounded like there is a bar near the dining room, just not in it) into the MDR? Is that considered rude?

Thanks!

Mix drinks they make in bars .So no matter where you are they have to go to bar and make it. You can bring your drink to restaurant no problem . If you want your coffee before dinner just let your waiter know on first night and he will take care of it for the rest of your cruise. I love espresso after dinner but I never order it in DR because by the time they bring it it's cold.

Skier52 thanks for the good insight. You brought up some great points. It is very depressing to see most of my friends have no desire to travel outside the US and experience what the world has to offer.

We were cool with the leisurely meal. I just think MSC needs to make a note that it's the European style of dining so the Americans will be informed.

But yes, Americans need to get out and use their vacation time!

As for the menus, sad to say that we didn't take pics of them.

Thanks for all of the great feedback from the review!

Thanks for all the hard work. I watched both You Tube videos and though the review was fair and balanced.

I don't mind necessarily trying new things (not everything "new" is great, IMO). Nor do I mind a leisurely meal. I've had a few 1.5 - 2 hour meals at a nice restaurant, but I've never only gotten one glass of water or had to wait 30 minutes for a non-wine drink, or not have coffee with dessert either.

But keep up the good work. It seems MSC is willing to listen to feedback.

I'm glad I found your review first so I can reset my dining expectations or make alternative arrangements for drinks.

Mix drinks they make in bars .So no matter where you are they have to go to bar and make it. You can bring your drink to restaurant no problem . If you want your coffee before dinner just let your waiter know on first night and he will take care of it for the rest of your cruise. I love espresso after dinner but I never order it in DR because by the time they bring it it's cold.

Perfect!!!

Thanks so much everyone for answering my many questions. Thanks again to the OP for all the info!

Lighten up Francis.

You are not alone, easy tiger.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Really enjoyed this review, and looking forward to viewing the YouTube videos as we will be sailing Divina in February! We have the ultimate (premium?) drink package, and based on what I read, I think our plan of attack will be to get a drink (or two) at the bar prior to dinner and bring them in with us... As for water, we may request a pitcher or carafe on our table as we are big water drinkers with our meals and the thought of sitting with an empty glass for half an hour would really annoy me (LOL).

As for the length of dinner... 1.5 hours is common if not short for a cruiseline dinner... we just got off DCL and our dining time was 8:15pm, they "rushed" our son's food so he could be finished by 9:15pm when the Kids Club counselors collected children in the MDR, while we lingered over the rest of our dinner/dessert. I would say our meal lasted 1.5 to 2 hours and others stayed in the MDR longer than us!

Gigi, Sounds like you have the perfect mindset! The ultimate package gives you run of the ship, which is pretty good.

We just posted a few more videos and hope to have the first couple days of our vlog up by the weekend. soo much footage!

Thanks for the kind words!

Finally got a chance to watch the first part of your review! Awesome to hear about the Cuban cigars and the Cigars Under the Stars. My boyfriend is pretty excited about that!! Keep up the great work, you two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a hard time getting my travel documents & I cruise in 3 weeks. It's always something they need to do, I keep calling. I should have had them 6 weeks ago after I made my final payment. Very frustrating!!!

Hi Jimmymed3 - All caught up on the videos. They are so very informative!! Thank you!!! I do use bar soap so your tip saying they don't have it really helped! I'm going to put a few hotel bar soaps in a baggy right now and put it with my cruise things so I don't forget it! Thank you!! Thank you for being so very thorough. You are both fun to watch!!:)[/b]

Edited by GRANNYOFSIX

I'm having a hard time getting my travel documents & I cruise in 3 weeks. It's always something they need to do, I keep calling. I should have had them 6 weeks ago after I made my final payment. Very frustrating!!!

Hmmm...I was wondering the same thing. Im on the 12/16 sailing and there doenst seem to be anyplace to download e tickets or luggage tags on the website. When I go to my bookings, its weird, but those categories flash up there and then are gone...is there anyone else on this sailing having the issue, or not having this issue?

Hmmm...I was wondering the same thing. Im on the 12/16 sailing and there doenst seem to be anyplace to download e tickets or luggage tags on the website. When I go to my bookings, its weird, but those categories flash up there and then are gone...is there anyone else on this sailing having the issue, or not having this issue?

OK, so here's what happened to me:

1) Booked via TA, never got the stuff. Called TA they said I should be able to do it from MSC website. Called MSC and they said they emailed the stuff to TA on 11/6/16. So back to TA.

2) supposedly in order for the "eticket" option to work, you have to use Chrome, and only Chrome. apparently it doesn't work or show up if you use any other browser.

TA is working with MSC to get the info re-sent (apparently MSC sent it to the generic inbox at TA and nobody knows where it went to, although email is never guaranteed).

Were you able to get your documents? Ive heard MSC can be a bit of a pain if you go through a TA. I hope everything is a go!

Yes, all is well. The dept. was closed on the weekend, so this afternoon I got my nice PDF with everything in it.

Woohoo!

I think next time I"ll just book direct, unless I can get a good deal. I've only done TA for Carnival and Royal and both were able to be fully managed via the online site after that (unless you wanted a cabin change or an upgrade that you paid for yourself).

After my post yesterday I contacted my TA (who I have used many times and like) and she did tell me that MSC does do things a little different and those documents will be sent to her to send to me. She says I should have them in the next week. so there doesnt seem to be an issue its just their SOP that I was not used to.