MSC Divina-The good, the bad & the ugly

jimmymed3

So, my girlfriend and I went on the October 22nd sailing of the Divina and wanted to share our experience with you all. I'm not sure if I should post it here, but I just wanted to hit the main notes of what we thought as we have YouTube videos of our thoughts, as well as our daily vlogs.

I thought I would share our views on here as MSC seems to get quite the wide variety of opinions on CruiseCritic. I want to say that overall, we had a great time and would definitely cruise on MSC again. We honestly couldn't see why people have been slamming them so hard. Yes, they have a few areas where they need to improve, and they need to do it quickly. So, here are a few bullet points.

We broke it down into three categories.

The Good

-Italian style of cruising, including the food(pizza). It was different than what the US lines offer. We saw this as a plus.

-$2 gelato. And it was good.

-Free flavored water.

-$10 chair massages on sea days.

-Low low cost duty free including Cuban cigars and rum.

-CruiseCritic meet and greet. This was the best one we have attended on a cruise line. A lot of the senior officers showed up to chat, and caviar.

-Loyalty match program. They will bring you in at your current status of a competing cruise line.

-Best pizza at sea we've experienced.

-The drink voucher program. Why don't the other lines do this?!

Lots of free liquor. We each had six free drinks throughout the cruise.

-More entertainment staff than other lines and seemed more interactive.

The bad

The seating at the buffet was horrible. Not sure how they can improve. If you go at non peak times you can usually find a spot in the back.

-Portion size in the MDR was small. Like, way small. They could make the main entrée just a little bit bigger.

-Larger glasses in the buffet. As with most cruise lines, they love to have you get five shot glass cups of your beverage as opposed to the regular sized human glasses.

The ugly

These are thing that they just simply have to improve on to be successful.

-Speed of service in the dining room. Now I know that there was a large amount of new staff on the ship, but come on. Both lunch and dinner was slow. We were hoping this would have been improved somehow after the dry dock. We waited up to an hour and 35 minutes a few night for the three courses.

-Drinks. They need dedicated drink servers in the MDR. We literally waited 30 minutes one night for just water. I would have been uber pissed if we have the unlimited drinks with meals packages. With that said, the staff was working their tails off. It wasn't the staff, it was the planning by MSC. They seemed short staffed but it sounded like everyone made it in after the hurricane.

-The venues for the events like the newlywed and Quest games are too small. We found that most of the guests on the Divina stayed up later than the other lines that we cruised on(the Europeans?) and attended all of these events. There were quite a few people stuffed in those venues. It was so packed a few nights, we turned around, frustrated.

-Port of Miami embarkation waiting area needs to be bigger. It was too small of a room for a ship that size.

We have a more in depth review of the ship on our YouTube channel if you guys want to check it out.

www.chubbyandaway.com

All in all, we had a great time! I think the best thing, if you want to go on this ship, is to embrace the Italian/European way of cruising. We thought it was a cool way to visit Europe without leaving the US! #MSCDivina

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your fantastic videos about the Divina. I am cruising on June 3rd with family (celebrating a graduation) and am so looking forward to the trip. I’ve taken your suggestions to heart (drink vouchers here I come!!) and can already say you have made my trip better before it even starts!

Also, kudos on the new lifestyle! My family is cheering you on. I am a loyal viewer – I could watch you two tour an Ikea and be entertained. Keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...

Yes fantastic review. Was very interested you mention about the cheap duty free cigars on board? Does this include cigars sold in the cigar lounge? Can you buy cigars in duty free and smoke in the cigar lounge? I was also going to bring some over with me but sounds like I might not need too? Lastly, where do I stand then flying through Miami airport with Cuban cigars - can they be confiscated?

Any information would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finally got a chance to watch the first part of your review! Awesome to hear about the Cuban cigars and the Cigars Under the Stars. My boyfriend is pretty excited about that!! Keep up the great work, you two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a price list of cigars/packages?

You can view a video
. Go to about the 3:45 portion of the video to see the tiny balcony.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Thanks for posting.

Teeny tiny balcony, but WOW what a view! It's like an ocean view cabin where one can open the windows;)

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to the experience. We had been looking for something a bit different. This will be our 18th cruise and the other lines just do not offer what they use to. Too many cutbacks have ruined the experience and we cannot afford the more expensive lines. We travel to investigate different cultures, so why not be on a ship that offers a specific cultural style.

Hi! Sorry for the late response! Cigars. Im having now right now, actually. Love em.

The cigar lounge does not actually sell cigars, just the duty free shop. The shop is open all day, except when in port. The cigar lounge is nice, but is only staffed in the evening hours. That being said, bring a lighter. I asked the bartender for a light after I purchased a Cuban in the duty free shop. The staff did not have one and directed me to a German group smoking which seemed kind of annoyed that I asked to borrow the lighter. Ended up having to pick up a light once in port.

The duty free shop had a great selection for the space that was available. They had a big selection of Cubans, including Cohibas, Monte Cristo and Romeo y Julieta. There was a big selection of Italian smokes which I tried, as well. You are welcome to buy as many cigars as you like. At the prices, I honestly wouldn't waste space bringing them with you. At disembarkation, customs rarely cares about cigars, or even checks. They will not check your bags at the airport as you would would have already went through customs into the country. If you are talking about coming from abroad to Miami, you should be ok too. If they do catch you with them, they may or may not take them. As long as its not a box. Happy travels!

Yes fantastic review. Was very interested you mention about the cheap duty free cigars on board? Does this include cigars sold in the cigar lounge? Can you buy cigars in duty free and smoke in the cigar lounge? I was also going to bring some over with me but sounds like I might not need too? Lastly, where do I stand then flying through Miami airport with Cuban cigars - can they be confiscated?

Any information would be much appreciated

Hi! Really wish we took a pic as a lot of people have been asking. The best I can do is give you a link to our ship tour. In the video, when we tour the Duty Free, we scan over the cabinet and show the prices. I do know they were a lot cheaper or at the same price as a Habanos cigar shop. Hope this helps!

Is there a price list of cigars/packages?

.......... bring a lighter. I asked the bartender for a light after I purchased a Cuban in the duty free shop. The staff did not have one and directed me to a German group smoking which seemed kind of annoyed that I asked to borrow the lighter. Ended up having to pick up a light once in port.

Just as an FYI - they usually sell lighters in the logo shop.

Yes, most do, but for some reason, the Logo shop didn't on the Divina. I actually went there and the employee said they were not allowed to sell them. Not sure if that was a policy just on the Divina or what. I hope they sell them now, but didn't in January. The staff did have them to use at the events where they did sell cigars, however.

Just as an FYI - they usually sell lighters in the logo shop.

Yes, most do, but for some reason, the Logo shop didn't on the Divina. I actually went there and the employee said they were not allowed to sell them. Not sure if that was a policy just on the Divina or what. I hope they sell them now, but didn't in January. The staff did have them to use at the events where they did sell cigars, however.

Thanks for that. So many things on Divina that are different to the other ships! It's why I qualified my comment with 'usually' - especially when it comes to Divina!

I'm taking notes as we're booked on Divina and we're not familiar with how MSC operates its cruises out of Miami. I'll be making sure DH doesn't depend on getting his lighters onboard like he usually does! :rolleyes:

Hi! Sorry for the late response! Cigars. Im having now right now, actually. Love em.

The cigar lounge does not actually sell cigars, just the duty free shop. The shop is open all day, except when in port. The cigar lounge is nice, but is only staffed in the evening hours. That being said, bring a lighter. I asked the bartender for a light after I purchased a Cuban in the duty free shop. The staff did not have one and directed me to a German group smoking which seemed kind of annoyed that I asked to borrow the lighter. Ended up having to pick up a light once in port.

The duty free shop had a great selection for the space that was available. They had a big selection of Cubans, including Cohibas, Monte Cristo and Romeo y Julieta. There was a big selection of Italian smokes which I tried, as well. You are welcome to buy as many cigars as you like. At the prices, I honestly wouldn't waste space bringing them with you. At disembarkation, customs rarely cares about cigars, or even checks. They will not check your bags at the airport as you would would have already went through customs into the country. If you are talking about coming from abroad to Miami, you should be ok too. If they do catch you with them, they may or may not take them. As long as its not a box. Happy travels!

Why would they take them? They've been legal for about 9 months now. I brought back several boxes from St Marten in Feb.

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, the ban was lifted coming from Cuba only, doesn't mean I'm not bringing them back anyway! The ban is not clear cut as people think. Lucky guy to get two boxes!

From my understanding, the ban was lifted coming from Cuba only, doesn't mean I'm not bringing them back anyway! The ban is not clear cut as people think. Lucky guy to get two boxes!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/kw/cuban%20cigars/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwMzY3MzM1MC9zaWQveWxBMloxcm4%3D

Once in Barbados I asked for soda and got nasty soda water. From then on out I just do the southern thing I am accustomed to and ask for a coke then tell them which kind of coke, sprite, coke zero, mellow yellow or Pepsi. I cannot wait to go on MSC divina and test the European ways by asking for a coke then saying I wanted a sprite, then they will say you said a coke and I will say you didn't ask me what kind of coke. HAHAHAHAHA Hey at least I dont call it pop haha that would be about as off the wall as this post has become, sorry.

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished watching all of your videos and I think they are great and very informative. I noticed you both used cpap machines. Did you have to run a cord to the desk? Did they provide distilled water (I thought I saw some on the self in your cabin tour video)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed - our wine glasses were always refilled when in the MDR on our first cruise on the Divina.

Also, I know MSC would like more US passengers, but the reality is that every cruise currently on the Divina (per the crew) is 65-75% non-Americans. I sail with MSC because they're not Carnival or RC or another American line. I prefer the more leisurely meals with smaller portions and good wines paired with each course. I love that you meet so many different nationalities on board, both passengers and crew.

Can't wait to sail again in December with them!

Agree with Sidari. In Italy no one has mixed drinks or even coffee with a meal. It's water and/or wine and nothing else, other than perhaps an aperitif with a flute of prosecco prior to the antipasti.

Just finished watching all of your videos and I think they are great and very informative. I noticed you both used cpap machines. Did you have to run a cord to the desk? Did they provide distilled water (I thought I saw some on the self in your cabin tour video)?

Hi! Sorry for the late reply! We've been busy getting ready to move abroad. To answer your question, MSC requires you to fill out a medical accommodation form. We found this out a week before our cruise, and all requests for supplies like cords and water must be requested at least two weeks in advance. It seemed to be a big hassle, so we just brought our own cords. Its hard to get to the outlet behind the bed, so bring a long enough cord to get you from the vanity. Oh, get a two prong, not a 3 prong. As for the distilled water, just go to the customer service desk and they will have it sent to your room. They have it in the room behind the desk if you just want to bring it up to the room yourself. The water is free. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!!

I just got back from MSC Divina's Sept. 30th cruise: what I learned is, if your not YC your nothing! Status has NO recognition at all: NO, NO, & NO-NO are the constant crew answers to both passengers & coworkers! The worse Supervisory Level of employees, I have seen in 18 cruises. There is a crisis of leadership and employee performance!

Very good Specialty Dining (if you are not double charged often!), outstanding drinks, paid snacks, and gelato. The Divina is among the most attractive ships I have been on; which include Disney Magic/Wonder & Celebrity Century/Constellation. Top notch shows & classical music, perhaps the best I have seen (other than Disney).

While all of this seems great; It Gets Lost, in the Almost-Total Lack of Service & Hospitality!

I'm sorry you had that experience. It was the complete opposite experience for us. The crew and staff were all extremely helpful and accommodating both times we've sailed on the Divina. We were in YC this past August but spent a lot of time with our friends who were not. No one outside of YC knew what experience we booked and everyone was wonderful on board from the servers at the buffet, to wait staff, bartenders, pool attendants, etc...We approached everyone with a smile and respect and received the same back from everyone on board. I can't say enough positive about the amazing crew on Divina.

quote=gkbiiii;54259943]I just got back from MSC Divina's Sept. 30th cruise: what I learned is, if your not YC your nothing! Status has NO recognition at all: NO, NO, & NO-NO are the constant crew answers to both passengers & coworkers! The worse Supervisory Level of employees, I have seen in 18 cruises. There is a crisis of leadership and employee performance!

Very good Specialty Dining (if you are not double charged often!), outstanding drinks, paid snacks, and gelato. The Divina is among the most attractive ships I have been on; which include Disney Magic/Wonder & Celebrity Century/Constellation. Top notch shows & classical music, perhaps the best I have seen (other than Disney).

While all of this seems great; It Gets Lost, in the Almost-Total Lack of Service & Hospitality!

I just got back from MSC Divina's Sept. 30th cruise: what I learned is, if your not YC your nothing! Status has NO recognition at all: NO, NO, & NO-NO are the constant crew answers to both passengers & coworkers! The worse Supervisory Level of employees, I have seen in 18 cruises. There is a crisis of leadership and employee performance!

Just got off the Sept 30th myself and wholeheartedly agree. It got so bad that a woman at the Customer Service desk told me that I was wrong in that we did not get a notice that the port of call times in Nassau had been changed. I was so outraged I went back to my cabin to get the slip of paper and show her. And then she said it must have been only me... no, we were 3 cabins on 3 decks and we all got them.

There is, indeed, a crisis of leadership which is sad, because Captain Massa is ever-present and one of the most outgoing and personable Masters I have ever met. The ship is gorgeous, and very clean. But from getting basic customer service down they are a hot mess, by anyone's standards!

Just got off the Sept 30th myself and wholeheartedly agree. It got so bad that a woman at the Customer Service desk told me that I was wrong in that we did not get a notice that the port of call times in Nassau had been changed. I was so outraged I went back to my cabin to get the slip of paper and show her. And then she said it must have been only me... no, we were 3 cabins on 3 decks and we all got them.

There is, indeed, a crisis of leadership which is sad, because Captain Massa is ever-present and one of the most outgoing and personable Masters I have ever met. The ship is gorgeous, and very clean. But from getting basic customer service down they are a hot mess, by anyone's standards!

Before I comment on this let me say that there is never a bad cruise, and we enjoyed our time on board.

You are correct in your assessment. Customer service cannot admit a mistake was made and they talk circular. I had a problem of a charge that should not have been there with regard to Wi-Fi. It's to difficult to give the details but suffice it to say they broke down and divided every communication and did not listen to the whole story. However, in the end it was reverses. I never go my Wi-Fi.

They have a systematic problem with MDR service as well. Basically, not enough help. Also if you try to work outside their system they ignore you. Our table mates left after the first night because the service was so bad. (He had been a server for 30 years and said it was the worst and was not going to put up with it.

Luckily, we try not to eat in the buffet and avoided lunch meals. Worse on the seas. Although there was good variety, it was normally cold and had been out some time. Nothing seemed to be seasoned. I asked how long a hamburger had been there and the fellow said about 25 minutes. I asked if I could have a fresh one. He said I should try it and if I did not like it would make me one. It was bad, but I did not go back. A supervisor picked up the one bite sandwich and I told her how bad it was.

On the Positive, entertainment in bars and the theater were the best and that is why we cruise. We also go for the hot tubs and pools and had our balcony. It was a great trip even if I had to fight for some of it.

Why did I get such good service in base level interiors on 2 cruises? I doubt most of the staff knew what room or experience I booked.