Traveling with a minor

redhot77

I saw it is recommended to obtain an original sign authorization from the other parent when sailing with a minor child. I have full custody and he does already have a passport. His step dad and I are traveling with him. Is this going to be a problem?

I did not see a form to have signed by his dad on the web site.

I took my niece on a cruise, her parents are divorced, and she was 16-17 years old at the time. I did get a letter from her Father giving permission for her travel with us, but I was never asked for the letter, I did not offer it, they just asked for birth certificate and boarding pass for her. She has a different last name than my family, did not have any problem. I am sure this will vary depending on the port and/or employee.

Edited by reerun25

I sailed with my daughter (9 at the time) in March out of Long Beach on a closed loop cruise. She and I have different last names.

We both have passports, I have full physical and legal custody with certified court documents that state that, and I had a notarized travel document signed from her father stating I had his approval to take her on the trip. I went way overboard in covering my bases and ended up being asked for nothing other than our passports.

Still, I felt comfortable knowing I had enough documentation to prove I had the right to travel with her if the question came up. I was really worried I'd get to port and be denied boarding with her for lack of paperwork. If you are able to get the notarized letter from the father, you should, just to be on the safe side. It's only like $12 for a notary fee and you can print something out from the internet easily enough.

You will never be asked for proof of parentship or relationship with a minor. Thousands of families have assorted last names.

It would be wise if the person traveling with the minor gets a power of attorney for medical decisions if they are not the custodial adult to protect themselves "after the fact"....otherwise nothing is needed (at least by the cruise line or customs).

Many will tell you that you need nothing but the passport. Others will tell you that they were stopped and asked for documentation giving permission to travel.

I think that if you have full legal custody, then bring a copy of your documentation showing this. If you can get the father to sign a permission to travel letter, then why not get it? The best scenario is to have it and not need it. Worse case, need it and not have it.

The passport only tells you that at the time you got it, the non custodial parent showed up and signed off on the paperwork. Things change over time, and there is no way to know the current status of a relationship or custody issues.

I travel with my sons all the time. In August, 2015, my older son was 17.5 and younger one was 13. Still got a signed permission to travel letter from their father. Better to be safe than sorry.

But again, if you feel that it will not be possible, bring your custody papers just in case.

A few years ago my parents took my 3 boys on a cruise out of Jacksonville. I supplied them with a notorized letter giving them permission to take my children on the cruise with them. They were never asked for the letter.

This past March we all cruised out of New Orleans on the Dream. My oldest son's best friend cruised with us. His parents supplied me with a notorized letter giving me permission to take him on the cruise. I was never asked for that letter either.

These are just my 2 personal experiences. You may or may not be asked for anything. If you are not comfortable asking your ex for the letter then take your custody papers.

I've been on 10+ cruises with my child and have never been asked for a notaraized letter from his father. I do bring custody paperwork with me, and have never been asked for that either. Sailed Carnival, Royal, Princess, Disney, and NCL with him and no questions asked.

I think that if you have full legal custody, then bring a copy of your documentation showing this.

And who at the pier do they have to go over these custody/visitation legal papers, some of which can be wordy and complicated? Weekend Judges? Paralegals? Magistrates?

Nobody from the cruise lines will ask for documents like this.

And who at the pier do they have to go over these custody/visitation legal papers, some of which can be wordy and complicated? Weekend Judges? Paralegals? Magistrates?

Nobody from the cruise lines will ask for documents like this.

Omg.

Yes you need documentation; here's a link:

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/minor-travel-consent-form.html

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-acs/sample_letter_of_consent_to_travel.pdf

When you're with kids, you can never be too prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Omg.

Yes you need documentation; here's a link:

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/minor-travel-consent-form.html

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-acs/sample_letter_of_consent_to_travel.pdf

When you're with kids, you can never be too prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly!

The only time I've been asked for that documentation was on an Alaskan cruise when we took an excursion into the Yukon. The tour operator required me to have written permission from her father to take my then 11 year old into Canada. Neither the cruise line nor the Canadian government asked for it, but the tour operator needed to see it before we boarded the bus. I'd say better safe than sorry!

Planning on doing a European cruise with my granddaughter, son's child, we have the same last name. Would there be an issue travelling outside of the country? My son was never married to the girls mother if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

Yes, there certainly will be an issue of your traveling to Europe with grandchildren. Grandparents generally do not have legal custodial rights over their grandchildren. Unless your custodial rights have been granted by a court of law, you have no legal right to travel with them, especially outside of the country. You definitely should get signed notarized statements from both parents allowing you to do so. (And get medical powers of attorney from them while you are at it.)

Planning on doing a European cruise with my granddaughter, son's child, we have the same last name. Would there be an issue travelling outside of the country? My son was never married to the girls mother if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

I can't speak for taking a child OUT of the United States but I do know someone who brought their grandchild INTO the United States from S. Korea. They had not gotten any type of permission from the parents. They were ALMOST put right back on the next plane back to S Korea. What saved them was, the officials saw that the boys father had purchased travel insurance for him and figured that equaled permission for the grandparents to take him on the trip.

I don't know if the rules have changed since, but a few years ago I took my GF's 14yo son on a Bahamas cruise on RCCL and we did need a notarized permission letter from both her (she has full custody) and the kids father (her ex.)

The RCCL check-in person at port Canaveral did ask for the letter and even made a photocopy of it.

Your mileage may vary of course, but as others have mentioned: better safe than sorry.

You provided a link to Minor Consent Forms, which based on the vast majority of responses in this and other similar threads you will not be asked for on the typical 3-7 night cruise.

My original response was to bringing along legal court documents such as divorce decrees, custody grants, visitation agreements, incarceration papers and death certificates.... which you also will not be asked to produce at check-in when traveling as a solo parent with your own child.

Edited by AdGuyMG

We take our two granddaughters on almost every cruise we go on. We have been asked for it more times than not. In Canada they pulled them aside and questioned them. Better safe then not being able to board.

The original post was about solo parents traveling with their own children. Not grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and family friends.

But to clarify, who in your case is "they" and at what point in the cruise to or from Canada were your grandchildren pulled aside questioned? And who were they questioned by?

Edited by AdGuyMG

Carnival sailing ex Sydney. Absolutely no problem with my teenage son and I. Shared a Stateroom. Same last name. Boarding was smooth as, both from the Government counter and then the Carnival counter. I had both passports and they were the only documents I needed.

I had a current Medicare card with his name on it. That, at least in Australia, is sufficient proof that I have the legal right to make medical decisions on his behalf.

• 4 months later...

ok, so if this has been asked and answered I apologize in advance. Traveling with my 17 year old daughter on a closed loop caribbean cruise out of san juan. she will have a passport (her last name different than mine). Will I need the paperwork from my ex? Wasn't sure if her age makes it no longer a factor since she's considered a quasi adult (birth cert no longer enough).

ok, so if this has been asked and answered I apologize in advance. Traveling with my 17 year old daughter on a closed loop caribbean cruise out of san juan. she will have a passport (her last name different than mine). Will I need the paperwork from my ex? Wasn't sure if her age makes it no longer a factor since she's considered a quasi adult (birth cert no longer enough).

Just because a cruise line states that minors 16 years and older need a government issued photo ID (which can be a school ID w/ picture) in addition to their birth certificate does not mean that the teenager equals quasi-adult. Nor does the minor having a passport mean that separate parents currently agree to the trip.

US federal and most state governments hold 18 as the age of majority (except for tobacco and alcohol consumption) that a person is responsible for their personal decisions. So 18 is the age at which a child can choose to leave the country on their vacation with whomever they wish. Below 18 the parent or guardian is responsible ultimately for the minor, unless the child has sued for emancipation and won. In which case the teen-adult should bring that paperwork when traveling even outside of their home state.

As with many things when leaving the country it is better to have a type of proof or ID and not need; than to need it and not have. So if possible get the travel consent signed by the ex. If not possible for some reason at least have copies of the court stamped paperwork that indicates full or primary custody or the right as a 50/50 custody parent to travel at will with the minor.