How obstructed is an obstructed view supposed to be?

Alohaaloha

Just recently returned from a Celebrity cruise, where a large metal aperture hung outside our verandah for the duration of the cruise. We had previously rejected two cabins that were listed as 'obstructed view' yet our cabin was not on that list. Photographs were impossible as this structure got in the way of everything.

I have since learned that Celebrity consider an obstructed view to be one that is looking on to the lifeboats.

I would have thought that any aperture that blocks the view is an obstruction?

We still had a terrific cruise, it was just some photo opportunities were lost because of our verandah addition!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I take it this was on Eclipse, but what was the stateroom number?

The number was 1551

26a89004beb44263b5aecacddc34d937.jpg

19d870299703f815f884ce66acaf6bd6.jpg

We're not complaining, or following it up, I'm just curious if other pax would say this was an obstructed view.

Edited by Alohaaloha

Shouldn't this be considered partially-obstructed? I've seen this term used in addition to plain ''obstructed'' when selecting cabins in the past. I would be annoyed if they're was absolutely zero fair warning that a partially obstructed view was to be expected.

Edited by conquesodor

Has been well documented on CruiseCritic. ;) Sorry that you did not see the following reviews before sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=95772320

This may sound kind of silly but I didn't realise all Celebrity ships were exactly the same ( first time Celebrity)- so unless there was a specific Eclipse review of 1551 I still wouldn't have realised.

There can't of been much window washing done during our cruise as it didn't move for 15 days.

I can see the apparatus, but if you stood under it, it wouldn't have blocked your photo ops! It's the window washing equip.

It was outside the balcony! If I'd stood under it, it would have been man overboard!

It was outside the balcony! If I'd stood under it, it would have been man overboard!

I thought people fell off ships due to drinking, not by checking out their obstructed views.

Boy, you sure do learn something new around here every single day.:)

We're not complaining, or following it up, I'm just curious if other pax would say this was an obstructed view.

I would definitely consider that a partial obstruction at the least. In my opinion you'd be justified in complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Had we not known about it and it was listed as OBV, I would also complain.

This may sound kind of silly but I didn't realise all Celebrity ships were exactly the same ( first time Celebrity)- so unless there was a specific Eclipse review of 1551 I still wouldn't have realised.

There can't of been much window washing done during our cruise as it didn't move for 15 days.

Not all are exactly the same, but 4 of the 5 Solstice class are. It's funny, but I have never read a review about that stateroom location saying that the WW equipment EVER moves. :D

I always check reviews of a stateroom location for every like ship. I am really sorry. For instance, we knew that on our last cruise, we were going to have an obstructed view from our Sky Suite. I am not sure it is listed that way, but we read it on CC. Didn't bother us at all.

Is it my misperception but it appears that the undercarriage is jammed against the ship's support and couldn't move further to the right. That's an Aqua cabin, is it not? I hope you at least got a very good price for it. Was it a guarantee? If not, it should have been. Or you should have been advised of the situation. I've read reviews of cabins near by that one and always had the idea that the equipment was not in the direct line of 1551. Apparently, not so. I would think the cabins on either side wouldn't have the best view, either.

I never think about this equipment. Is it always returned to the same place when the work is done? Or does it remain at the far end after it makes it's run?

Is it my misperception but it appears that the undercarriage is jammed against the ship's support and couldn't move further to the right. That's an Aqua cabin, is it not? I hope you at least got a very good price for it. Was it a guarantee? If not, it should have been. Or you should have been advised of the situation. I've read reviews of cabins near by that one and always had the idea that the equipment was not in the direct line of 1551. Apparently, not so. I would think the cabins on either side wouldn't have the best view, either.

I never think about this equipment. Is it always returned to the same place when the work is done? Or does it remain at the far end after it makes it's run?

You're absolutely right. I think outside our cabin verandah was it's final resting place so to speak. And no, we paid full price and it wasn't a guarantee. I had turned down two cabins because of OBV, so imagine our disappointment when we saw that over the balcony.

Cabin 1550 had a kind of slanted/hump balcony so they would see it full on too, and of course 1552, but not quite as full view as ours.

Other cabins 1547, 1549, 1552 and 1554 are listed on the web site as OBV, however, Celebrity told our TA that only lifeboats are considered OBV . Yet there were no lifeboats on our deck (11) they were way below. So I'm not sure what those cabins had as an obstruction?

I can imagine your disappointment on arrival in your cabin, glad you still made the most of your cruise and it didn't spoil the holiday. The cabin spreadsheet info on this forum is brilliant and I always check when making s decision on a particular on a cabin. It seems that there is some kind of obstruction with many of the balcony cabins - some worse than others. I have a partially obstructed view on my next cruise, however, I am aware of it and seen images so I know what to expect which unfortunately you didn't. At least you are now fully informed for the next one.

The number was 1551

26a89004beb44263b5aecacddc34d937.jpg

19d870299703f815f884ce66acaf6bd6.jpg

Although it's not directly in front of you, blocking view as a full lifeboat would, I think it takes away from the beauty of the "view" which I think is one of the reasons for booking a balcony.

Think this type of thing should be charged as an Oceanview. Better than OCV of course, but still not as nice as a full balcony.

Don't remember what cruiseline it was, but seem to remember booking a Cove balcony (balcony in the hull) which isn't as nice as a full balcony view, but still better than an Oceanview and cost less than a balcony.

I can imagine your disappointment on arrival in your cabin, glad you still made the most of your cruise and it didn't spoil the holiday. The cabin spreadsheet info on this forum is brilliant and I always check when making s decision on a particular on a cabin. It seems that there is some kind of obstruction with many of the balcony cabins - some worse than others. I have a partially obstructed view on my next cruise, however, I am aware of it and seen images so I know what to expect which unfortunately you didn't. At least you are now fully informed for the next one.

Thank you, no we didn't let it spoil our holiday at all and I am glad I posted as I wouldn't have known about the CC spreadsheet.

Would you mind posting me a link or directing me where in the forums I can find it please? We have two cruises booked for next year, and I'd like to check out our next cabins before we go this time! Lesson learnt lol !

Thank you, no we didn't let it spoil our holiday at all and I am glad I posted as I wouldn't have known about the CC spreadsheet.

Would you mind posting me a link or directing me where in the forums I can find it please? We have two cruises booked for next year, and I'd like to check out our next cabins before we go this time! Lesson learnt lol !

There are two stickies, one for S class and one for M class, they are at the top of the list of blog topics.

I am increasingly sympathetic for the OP. Charging full freight for what is clearly an obstructed view is really shady business. Worse yet, it's an Aqua cabin which means even greater expense.

Personally, I don't think it would bother me, as I sit on the balcony to relax, or nap, or even to simply drink in the night air. From the pictures I believe my needs would be satisfied by sitting and looking under the carriage. But X would have to give me an exceptional deal and tell me up front why they are charging me so little. I wonder how many cabins there are on a Solstice class ship which have a similar situation.

I am increasingly sympathetic for the OP. Charging full freight for what is clearly an obstructed view is really shady business. Worse yet, it's an Aqua cabin which means even greater expense.

Personally, I don't think it would bother me, as I sit on the balcony to relax, or nap, or even to simply drink in the night air. From the pictures I believe my needs would be satisfied by sitting and looking under the carriage. But X would have to give me an exceptional deal and tell me up front why they are charging me so little. I wonder how many cabins there are on a Solstice class ship which have a similar situation.

Thank you- luckily we were on a TA, crossing from Southampton to Miami. So the first few days the balcony didn't get used hardly at all. However as we sailed past the Statue of Liberty, my husband had to hold up the black cable which looped down, and the structure was in every shot. Also when we hit Bermuda it would have been nice to have sat out looking at the scenery instead of the window washer [emoji3]Never mind, I'll know for next time- lesson learnt!

Cabin 1550 had a kind of slanted/hump balcony so they would see it full on too, and of course 1552, but not quite as full view as ours.

Other cabins 1547, 1549, 1552 and 1554 are listed on the web site as OBV, however, Celebrity told our TA that only lifeboats are considered OBV . Yet there were no lifeboats on our deck (11) they were way below. So I'm not sure what those cabins had as an obstruction?

1552 has the window washing equipment next to it. It is actually right in front of the cabin next door. We know this but the balcony is so large it is worth it. Will be there in a couple of weeks. Only an issue if you look to the right and even then, if you make it an issue :)