Ocho Rios vs. Montego Bay

mauijerry

We are considering two different cruises on the Eurodam. One stops in Ocho Rios and the other in Montego Bay. Which port do you prefer and why? Thanks so much!!

Jamaica can be an a lovely experience or an unfortunate one. We skip over cruises that include Jamaica as a port. I've stayed in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios as well as Negril. Personally, I find them both lacking in good cultural experiences and decent attractions. Jamaicans have a way to go to learn how important it is to maintain their heritage and attractions if they want to attract tourists. I also didn't enjoy being hounded by sellers in most places that you go. Dunns River Falls (Ocho Rios) was interesting to see when I was in my 20s as was the Martha Brae River near Montego Bay but you'll get hounded by sellers at Dunns River Falls particularly near the entrance. To sum up, Jamaica for me is a "stay on resort" kind of beach vacation. If it was my choice, I'd stay onboard the ship.

I did go horseback riding in St Ann ( halfway between Montego and O. R. ) with Chukka tours.

Two full hours of riding, with almost 45 minutes spent in the water. The horses actually swam, not like at HMC where it's more of a run. All for $80!

The property is safe , secure, and huge. Lots of activities there. The horses ( and there are literally tons of them ) are well cared for and the guides are great.

Any activity there, on property would be good, I assume (zip lining, cliff diving, quad rental )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IndyDenise

Been to Ocho Rios on three cruises now. Stayed at an all inclusive in Montego Bay. Loved Montego Bay. Hated Ocho Rios --- unless, of course you want to talk to the numerous street walkers ( oops, sorry, "nail ladies") or buy marijuana from the street thugs. Just don't get caught by the cops... Jamaican prisons are not pleasant.

The last two cruises we took, we stayed on board during the Jamaican stop -- as did the majority of seasoned cruisers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been to both ports and unfortunately, we just dislike Jamaica. I stayed on the ship last year when we were in Montego Bay. Dh decided to walk around the area and was accosted by two women who tried to lure him into an alley. He immediately walked back to the ship. We climbed Dunn River Falls many years ago when our kids were young and have no desire to do it again. I've heard that the Blue Lagoon is a good excursion, if that interests you. Otherwise, I'd stay on the ship.

two years ago I booked a private tour of Turtle River Falls and Gardens in Ocho Rios. It's a short cab ride from the terminal. It's a former estate now in disrepair but the falls and gardens are magnificent. I had a great young tour guide and had really nice conversation about local culture. It was a highlight of the cruise. inexpensive. when you come out of the cruise terminal you will be assailed by someone looking to put you into a tour van. it's much cheaper to walk past him a few yards to the line of cabs. The turtle river (not to be confused with Dunns) are something like a mile up the hill from the terminal. I arranged for pickup two hours later and it worked fine.

Hope this helps in choosing.

Bruce

I agree with everyone, stay on the ship in Jamaica. We had a bad experience in Ocho Rios, husband was sick, needed cough medicine, went to a pharmacy and were totally ignored. There was more but I'll leave it at that. We ended up just going back to the ship so husband could rest. The view from the ship was enjoyable.

Our HAL cruise stopped in Falmouth which is a port area designed by cruise companies. There are stores and restaurants gated from the actual town. We did not have trouble with hawkers etc We did go out the gate to take a few pictures but didn't go far. Natives said hello and were pleasant but we just walked on the main street--no alleys. Now we can say we have been to Jamaica. If we ever go there again via ship, we will stay on board. We didn't go to the falls as we would not be able to walk on the rocks etc. that you have to do there.