Luggage Recommendations Please

budisal

How do the airlines react if you have a small backpack AND a carry on? Because of my bladder surgery and replacement, I need either the backpack or the carry on 100% for my medical supplies. Anyone think there would be a problem?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always take a backpack and a carry on. Most airlines allow one carry on plus one personal item, but the allowance for the personal item is quite large. Check your particular airline for dimensions

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Last piece of advice...no black luggage. Everyone has black luggage and anything in any other color is so much easier to find at the airport. When we had black, we had lots of "stuff" attached to the luggage to make it stand out. Now we have burgundy colored luggage that is easily identifiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is especially helpful if your luggage gets lost. I had a carry on once that had to be checked at the gate because of a full flight. The flight ended up getting redirected and my luggage ended up elsewhere. At the time, I had hand me down generic looking luggage and I didn't know how to describe it to them. Now I have a bright blue one and a bright orange one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I treat luggage as consumable. If it's checked, it's going to get treated roughly, so I don't bother buying anything at full price. I usually only replace a piece that has been destroyed, so none of my luggage matches. And I look for whatever is on sale when I'm buying it.

For checked bags I have an LL Bean 2-wheeled case that is nothing more than a box with wheels. It's pretty heavy, but sturdy and even though one of the wheels is a bit wonky, it's still going strong after nearly 20 years. I have a Samsonite Featherweight 2-wheeled, expandable case that has lasted 6 years, though the expansion zipper has broken off. And I have a huge Delsey spinner case which I hate! I don't like the split down the middle, and I don't like the size, and I really don't like the spinner wheels. It's lightweight hard-size, and while I like the hard shell, I do not like anything else about it. I would not recommend it.

For carry on I use a Vera Bradley backpack as my personal item and a High Sierra laptop bag. I don't really like wheeled carry-on bags and would be just as happy if airlines banned them.

My best advice for luggage shopping is think somewhere in the middle price wise and buy based on how you pack and what you know you will be taking/bringing home. If you shop for fragile souvenirs, definitely think about hard side bags. If you want lighter weight luggage, go for soft size. It's all about what you like -- I'm really big about getting the product that fits you, not changing your habits to fit the product. Don't worry about brand names, just buy what you like and will work for you.

I've seen many people recommend T.J.maxx for luggage. However when I go to their website all I see is brands that I don't recognize. What's the story?

I'm not an online shopper, so I can't answer that. Like everything at TJMaxx, it's hit-or-miss. Sometimes we go and it's all "off-brand" while other times they are loaded with everything we know. We've gotten Delsey, American Tourister, Nautica, etc there. We plan these purchases in plenty of time knowing that it may take a few visits to get what we want.

I've seen many people recommend T.J.maxx for luggage. However when I go to their website all I see is brands that I don't recognize. What's the story?

We bought our High Sierra 36" duffel bag with telescopic handle at the store. It was on High Sierra website but not on TJMaxx's. Maybe because there were only 2 bags in stock and we just chanced upon it on a visit.

Edited by easyboy

As a former TJMaxx manager I can promise you that what you find online is not the same as in the stores.

Marshalls/Home Goods/ TJMaxx will stock many of the same items even though they have different buyers.

For some reason their online store TJ Maxx is lacking. It's almost like they made an online store just to have one and not because they actually wanted to. They closed the first online store because they really wanted to get people physically in their stores because much of their business is impulse buying.

We shop at eBags.com . We've switched all our softsides to Delsey polycarbonate expandable hardsides. They roll like a dream and weigh less than our old bags. They do show some scuffs, but also provide protection to contents. When one of the spinners was broken by an airline, a first in a bunch of flights with these bags, I contacted Delsey. They explained how to remove the old wheel and replace it, and when they found out we had 4 pieces, they sent 6 wheels "just in case it happens again".

I am kind of old school in looking for quality and 'prestige' in luggage. My business go to is a French garment bag which probably cost 700 bucks a decade ago. Very high quality made in California and they used to make bags for Vuitton. As many good things American the company recently went out of business. These are all soft sided durable fabrics and belting leather trim and were truly lifetime luggage.

For our personal travel we broke down and bought a matched set of stylish hard sided polycarbonate Brics (Italy) spinner luggage with smaller soft sided carry-ons.

We received many compliments while travelling with our matched luggage but both large pieces cracked within a few years. The airlines took responsibility (we were probably fortunate that the cracks took place on international business class travel which probably stepped up the game for replacement). We got replacement Bric's pieces that seemed more durable (hard sided with some padding and 'give'. I am sure this set will service us well in the future but the completely matched aspect is gone.

The repair company that does many of the airline repair and maintenance strongly recommended Briggs and Riley which has a lifetime warranty.

Sorry to be verbose but my humble conclusion after many years of travel

would be to buy soft sided well made luggage TUMI, Hartmann, Briggs and Riley as an example and buy it as cheaply as possible (many deals online). If buying a set I would look to a brand that maintains a consistent design long term so you could add and replace pieces as needed. Bric's is nice stuff but they change their collections every few years.

We had Heyes luggage. $500 + for a two piece set. 2 sets. From Sears.

Nothing but trouble. Zippers broke. Wheels disintegrated. Stitching unraveled.

Bought Briggs and Riley. Guaranteed for life. No problems so far, after 2 years of twice a month international travel.

Agreed, Briggs and Riley is top quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stating the obvious here, but take your small luggage scale with you when you shop for new luggage.

Then decide if you want to use your alotted 50# on the luggage itself, or save it for what you want to take. The differences in weight of the empty pieces can be significant.

Plus be sure the stated dimensions include the spinner wheels, and not just the luggage "box" itself which we learned luckily before we purchased a particularly attractive lightweight Samsonite - on sale at a famous travel outlet, but perhaps this was on sale was because the overall dimensions did exceed the airline limitations due to the extra not-included inches of the spinner wheels.

What I loved about my old Tutto "big box" collapsible suitcase was the section intended to be for hanging items - I loved just taking things out on their hangers and putting them up right away in the cabin closets. I collected the cheapest lightest wire coat hangers so they would not take up extra weight too for this convenience.

Edited by OlsSalt

I'm really big about getting the product that fits you, not changing your habits to fit the product. Don't worry about brand names, just buy what you like and will work for you.

I agree completely. There's not a "one size fits all" choice for luggage. Those who only cruise and who drive to the ship may have a completely different "need" than those that fly long distances to board the ship and tend to combine cruising with land travel.

I have learned to only buy a bag if it meets a specific need. I'm not at all concerned about having matching luggage. I like bags that are lightweight, softsided, and relatively well made. Eagle Creek is the best brand I've found so far for that. Zippers, wheels and frames are sturdy enough to last a while, even with frequent trans-atlantic air travel. Briggs & Riley bags are great but heavier than I like. For me, I have to be able to manage what I pack on and off trains, walking to hotels, etc. (And I'd rather have more clothes/shoes than a heavier bag with less inside...)

Spinners versus regular wheels is another thing that comes down to preference. If I only rolled my bag in airports or smooth surfaces, I could definitely see getting spinners. But for the kind of travel I do, the sturdier non-spinner in-line wheels work better.

OP - if you decide on soft luggage, I heartily recommend Travel Pro. Our first set took us around the world and was in excellent shape after 8 years. We just bought our second set because it was lighter. We chose the rolling type, not the spinner. But I do think the carryon would be better in the spinner, at least for domestic flights. The spinners are not good on many of Europe's streets. Oh, and, the carry on roller did not tip over, fulling loaded, either.

If you find that after all your shopping and finding the perfect bag it still tips over, try glueing on a small piece of wood or solid plastic on the bottom, front of the carry-on. My husband did this for me and it never tips over now. A friend gave me the suggestion to take a photo of all bags before checking them. If one gets lost you have something to give the airlines and they know what to search for just in case the tag comes off.

Another vote for Briggs and Riley. Great guarantee- no questions asked even if airline or cruise ship damage.

We especially like the BRX line. It has straps on the sides that can compress and secure the contents. Combine with packing cubes and we can do just carryon size rollaboard plus a small personal bag. Since we do trains in conjunction with our cruises we need to be able to handle our own luggage easily.

Happy travels!

After following this thread, I decided to look at luggage on Ebags, where I have shopped for many years.

I discovered that 90% of their products now have spinner wheels, so that is definitely the trend. But I had decided I didn't want spinners, so it was tedious to shop page after page looking for ones without spinners.

One thing I don't like, is luggage that has built in compartments. If I want compartments, I will use packing bags. Built in compartments reduce the capacity of luggage. I don't even like the compartment that is usually in the lid. I usually remove those with scissors, to make the bag more efficient.

I used to use rolling duffel bags. I liked these because there were no compartments, and when empty they collapsed to only about 2 inches high. Duffel bags are fine as long as all you have is clothes in them, if you have anything hard in there they could get damaged. Also duffel bags don't look very classy. They are not the best for nice clothes, they are fine for t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc.

So, I think a rolling duffel is a good choice as long as you also have a regular suitcase for your nicer things. But then you end up with a non-matching assortment, which most people don't want. But it sure is nice to store an empty duffel bag that takes up so little space.

After following this thread, I decided to look at luggage on Ebags, where I have shopped for many years.

I discovered that 90% of their products now have spinner wheels, so that is definitely the trend. But I had decided I didn't want spinners, so it was tedious to shop page after page looking for ones without spinners.

One thing I don't like, is luggage that has built in compartments. If I want compartments, I will use packing bags. Built in compartments reduce the capacity of luggage. I don't even like the compartment that is usually in the lid. I usually remove those with scissors, to make the bag more efficient.

I used to use rolling duffel bags. I liked these because there were no compartments, and when empty they collapsed to only about 2 inches high. Duffel bags are fine as long as all you have is clothes in them, if you have anything hard in there they could get damaged. Also duffel bags don't look very classy. They are not the best for nice clothes, they are fine for t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc.

So, I think a rolling duffel is a good choice as long as you also have a regular suitcase for your nicer things. But then you end up with a non-matching assortment, which most people don't want. But it sure is nice to store an empty duffel bag that takes up so little space.

Do look at the "IT" super light bags on ebag - they have two sturdy rollers well within the overall airline permitted dimensions, and are basically an open box with adequate sidewall structure.

I am seeing more and more of them on HAL ships when bags are out by midnight and in the pickup disembarkation corrals.

Reviews about their baggage handling sturdiness have been good, and for the price they are very good value. Just the basics, but the super lightness they offer more than makes up for any other considerations in our mind.

My wife was reading the newspaper the other morning and noticed that one of our major department stores was running a one-day luggage sale.... 65% - 75% off. Huge variety of name brand luggage. Got what I wanted at deeply discounted prices. After all, who in their right mind would pay $415 for one carry-on? If I ever paid that much and it got damaged the first time I used it, I'd cry like a baby. By the way, I also love packing cubes; especially the ones that allow you to compact your clothes.

My wife was reading the newspaper the other morning and noticed that one of our major department stores was running a one-day luggage sale.... 65% - 75% off. Huge variety of name brand luggage. Got what I wanted at deeply discounted prices. After all, who in their right mind would pay $415 for one carry-on? If I ever paid that much and it got damaged the first time I used it, I'd cry like a baby. By the way, I also love packing cubes; especially the ones that allow you to compact your clothes.

If you need more cubes, ebags has them on their sale right now. And, somehow, I got $10 credit in my Rewards account the other day thanks to ebags, so I bought a few more for realllllly cheap...

You can filter the results on ebags to eliminate the dpinnrrs, if you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

i tried that by using the filter "roller", but most of the results were still spinners.

But I looked up the recommendation Old Salt had. I believe Salty was talking about the IT "Los Angeles" line of luggage. It is on sale right now for $139 for a 3 piece set. A real bargain.

Sturdy duffles on wheels for check through. They fit easily under the beds. I telescope two (one inside the other) in case I "acquire" things along the way. Sometimes I separate them going if I am taking gifts. Then put one inside the other on the return. Carry on HAS to have spinner wheels. They have changed my life. I have a luggage fettish and used to buy expensive brands. No more.

I agree with you

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

i tried that by using the filter "roller", but most of the results were still spinners.

But I looked up the recommendation Old Salt had. I believe Salty was talking about the IT "Los Angeles" line of luggage. It is on sale right now for $139 for a 3 piece set. A real bargain.

There's a Two Wheeled option under Features in the filters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app