Another "Which is better?" thread

bUU

I was all set to book an Alaska 2018 cruise on Princess next Thursday when booking opens for those cruises. I thought I've thought it all through and knew enough about the options to make that decision. Now, I'm not so sure. A friend encouraged me to consider Holland America after her excellent experience.

We cruised Holland American once before. They did a great job with a very difficult cruise. (We hit a storm crossing the Sargasso Sea.) It's got that stodgy reputation but didn't really feel we were out of place. Perhaps we were becoming what Holland America was, as quickly as Holland America is no longer just what it used to be. And that was in 2008. I'm sure Holland America has changed over the last eight years. And the older of us is scratching on the door of Medicare, now.

We're intent on a 7-day Alaska cruise with a Seattle or Vancouver round-trip itinerary. We know the advantages of the one-way cruises, and still will be booking the round-trip instead. I thought that there were so few of them on Holland America that the chances of getting that perfect itinerary on the specific date of our 25th anniversary (another intention) would be difficult. However, it appears to me that ms Nieuw Amsterdam and ms Volendam both do that trip back-to-back-to-back all through the summer months. (ms Eurodam does too, but ... see below.)

The thing that really attracted me to these Holland America itineraries was the fact that with the Vancouver round-trips, both northbound and southbound are in the relatively protected Inside Passage (while the Seattle round-trips include a sea day exposed to the open ocean, something we'd rather avoid).

We're also aiming for a Penthouse Suite on Princess, which seems to map directly to Neptune Suites on Holland America, and while there are ten mid-ship Penthouse Suites on the huge, 3080 passenger Ruby Princess, there seems to be two dozen Neptune Suites on just Deck 7 of the 1432 passenger ms Volendam and three dozen of them on just Deck 7 of the 2160 passenger ms Nieuw Amsterdam. So it seems that there is a much more substantial suite-focused experience offered on Holland America (something which Princess seems to be attempting to emulate with its Club Class service, which probably will be a bad thing for full suite passengers).

Yes, I know it sound like I'm convincing myself - I'm not - I'm just raising all the aspects that I know of that seem better on Holland America. I'm hoping y'all will either dissuade me of mistaken notions or point out aspects I've missed.

I do have some questions, which perhaps are better addressed in separate threads, but if y'all could chime in on them that would be great, too:

On the Vancouver round-trip itinerary, Day 2 includes a service call at Tracy Arm Inlet as well as a port call at Juneau. There is a six hour excursion available at Tracy Arm. How does that work? I suppose that excursion somehow has to catch up with the ship in Juneau, eh?

The Neptune suites seem a little smaller than Princess' midship Penthouse suites. Does anyone have direct experience with both? If so, please outline what you feel the difference are. Thanks!

Edited by bicker

On the Vancouver round-trip itinerary, Day 2 includes a service call at Tracy Arm Inlet as well as a port call at Juneau. There is a six hour excursion available at Tracy Arm. How does that work? I suppose that excursion somehow has to catch up with the ship in Juneau, eh?

Early in the morning the ship stops near the beginning of Tracy Arm. Those passengers on the excursion transfer directly to a catamaran for their trip up the fjord, and (hopefully) to the glacier(s).

The ship then continues on to Juneau where it docks for the day. The catamaran does the excursion, and brings the passengers back to the ship when it is over. Excursion passengers reboard the ship, then go about whatever suits them.

@Kadath Dragon

What ship and itinerary/date on you on?

@Bicker

I can't answer your specific questions (except for the Tracy Arm shore-x, which Ruth handled). I keep meaning to try Princess, but keep finding HAL having either better prices or better itineraries or both!

Definitely recommend the Vancouver embarkation or RT routes -- not only calmer seas in the Inland Passages, but far more scenic. Did not choose the Tracy Arm excursion at (before) Juneau because set on a cramming in glacier viewing and whale watching AT Juneau (did the 3-in-1 Mendenhall/whale-watch/meal on an island with my family group of 8, all were a success! although not having high expectations for the meal is a good idea).

No experience with any suites! We sailed in three OV's and an Inside on the Volendam's Lower Promenade deck, i.e. with the ship's biggest balcony just steps away. You might wait a day or two and ask the question in its own thread if you don't get an answer about the comparison. Tom_O is your man on the Princess vs. HAL questions! he made the switch!

Did not choose the Tracy Arm excursion at (before) Juneau because set on a cramming in glacier viewing and whale watching AT Juneau (did the 3-in-1 Mendenhall/whale-watch/meal on an island with my family group of 8, all were a success! although not having high expectations for the meal is a good idea).
That was the Juneau excursion we would do if we were to take Princess. However, from what I've read about the Tracy Arm excursion, I'm sold on it. And it underscores for me why I want to book the cruise on Day 1 and book excursions on the first day they're offered.

Tom_O is your man on the Princess vs. HAL questions! he made the switch!
Thanks! I'll go cyberstalking him. :)

That was the Juneau excursion we would do if we were to take Princess. However, from what I've read about the Tracy Arm excursion, I'm sold on it. And it underscores for me why I want to book the cruise on Day 1 and book excursions on the first day they're offered.

Thanks! I'll go cyberstalking him. :)

For anyone else so inclined, he's Tom O.

I don't have the Tracy arm excursion available for booking in my cruise page. Could it be because it's sold out or is maybe bookable only onboard?
It's not because it's sold out (the EXCURSION BROCHURE PDF isn't altered to reflect that) and I know of no case where an excursion is sold only on board. Maybe it's just too early --- keep checking later. Edited by jtl513

Nordaam 7 days from Vancouver on may 7 2017
It's too early. We were on the first cruise out of Vancouver this summer, and when I didn't see the excursion offered by HAL for our cruise, I called the company that does them. I was told that they don't start offering the excursion until late May because of the ice.

I don't have the Tracy arm excursion available for booking in my cruise page. Could it be because it's sold out or is maybe bookable only onboard?

The Tracy Arm excursion discussed in this thread is not available on your cruise.

I believe there is a different Tracy Arm excursion, which leaves from Juneau after the ship arrives there, available on at least some itineraries.

We have sailed on both HAL and princess several times. Our last princess cruise had an older crowd than any we have had on HAL.

Overall, we would give HAL the edge, just a bit more refined, and a little less sell, sell, sell. I love the promenades and the teak lounge chairs.

I think for sure you are right to look at the inside passage. The scenery is spectacular and the water calmer.

We had a Neptune on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Med in a wraparound at the stern and it was bliss! The view was incredible and we had views to the side and stern. And you get many benefits of concierge, Neptune lounge and pinnacle grill breakfasts. Not to mention dinner served from the dining room menu with linens on your huge balcony. Sublime!

Oh and room for friends for cocktails.....

If you are wanting to splurge that is how I would do it. It was heavenly. Now I want to do it again!