Working toward a Decision

bUU

We're working our way slowly toward a choice between a Seattle R/T on the Ruby Princess, in a midship Penthouse Suite (S4) or a Vancouver R/T on the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, in an aft Neptune Suite (SB). (We wouldn't consider an aft suite on the Ruby because it doesn't have a wraparound veranda, and wouldn't consider a midship Neptune Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam because the veranda is small.)

The difference in suite category (a Holland America SB arguably maps to a Princess S5) helps make up about half the difference in the additional cost of flying to Vancouver rather than Seattle, and I can get the airfare estimate even closer by planning a red-eye return from YVR. (A red-eye return from SEA actually costs more!) Also, we'll probably appreciate some suite benefits offered only by Holland America (like complementary laundry) more than the suite benefits offered only by Princess (like complementary specialty dining on embarkation night). However, I still estimate that that Holland America trip will still cost a skosh more than the Princess trip.

Thoughts?

The other factors that are leaning us toward Holland America are: [a] The Vancouver round-trip travels the Inside Passage both ways, while the Seattle round-trip spends a full day on the open ocean. Holland America includes a stop at Tracy Arm Inlet and offers a Tracy Arm excursion, while Princess does not (on that itinerary). Also: We've cruised Holland America before.

The factors that are leaning us toward Princess are: [a] The Penthouse suite on Princess seems significantly larger inside than the SB suite on Holland America. We're only two people, but it's a suite, so there's some inclination that it should feel like more than just a wider (studio) hotel room. The Princess suites have split bathrooms, with seemingly larger shower stalls.

Midship versus aft is perhaps a wash. Midship is better with regard to movement. Aft, especially with a wraparound veranda, is better with regard to views.

The Neptune Lounge would be a bit of a hike from the aft suite, but that's an unknown quantity for us... how much we'd use it... it's really a matter of how much of what's there is simply not available (on a complementary basis) elsewhere on ship, specifically beverages and readily-accessible ice.

I have done Vancouver R/T and Seattle R/T. I prefer the Vancouver one for the much more scenic cruising on the first and last days. As for the Neptune Suites on Holland America, there is complimentary laundry AND dry cleaning, breakfast in a more private area (usually in the Pinnacle Grill), an honest to goodness real-live concierge in the Neptune Lounge to help make reservations, sort out problems, and such. You never have to deal with the Front Desk, if you are in a Neptune Suite. The concierge(s) do it all for you. I am addicted to the Neptune Lounge, where nibbles are available pretty much all day. Also addicted to the concierges :) they are amaaaaazing.

I can't compare to Princess, have never had any higher-end accommodation on Princess.

Be aware, shore excursions are expensive in Alaska. You might want to get a feel for the cost of them before you commit to whatever ship and cabin you choose.

Be aware, shore excursions are expensive in Alaska. You might want to get a feel for the cost of them before you commit to whatever ship and cabin you choose.

Already costed out and budgeted for. Using 2017 numbers, the total for excursions in Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Vancouver after the cruise amount to a whopping $1360 plus tips.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

Do you prefer to see glaciers on the small boat trip in Tracy Arm (HAL) or on the big ship visit to Glacier Bay (Princess)? Each offers something unique, but the Tracy Arm excursion will cost you extra, if that's a concern.

What are your plans on shore in Ketchikan? The HAL itinerary offers more usable time there.

Do you have any interest in the nighttime visit to Victoria on the Ruby itinerary?

As noted, the HAL itinerary offers significantly superior scenic cruising for 2 of the 7 days.

If flight price difference is significant, you do not need to fly into YVR for the HAL cruise. You can easily fly into Seattle and transfer from there to Vancouver for a modest amount of money. We took BoltBus round trip from Seattle to Vancouver for less than $100 for four people.

Both are nice itineraries. Enjoy.

Do you prefer to see glaciers on the small boat trip in Tracy Arm (HAL) or on the big ship visit to Glacier Bay (Princess)? Each offers something unique, but the Tracy Arm excursion will cost you extra, if that's a concern.
With the HAL itinerary it seems that we can do both, which given that it may be our only trip to Alaska, would be my preference.

What are your plans on shore in Ketchikan? The HAL itinerary offers more usable time there.
HAL: 10AM-6PM; Princess: 7AM-1PM. Very interesting. I have to pay more attention to the small details.*

It's way too early to be thinking definitively of which excursions we're going to do, of course, but the placeholder I used for my budget estimate for Ketchikan was a wilderness-oriented excursion departing at 10:30 am and lasting "approximately 4 hours". I was inclined to tack on another excursion, one focused on the native people's culture, departing at 2:30 pm but that seems to be pushing our luck - no? Or will they effectively wait for us because we're booking both through the cruise line. (I had intended to just book the first one, initially, and then once on-board have this discussion with the Neptune concierge.)

Do you have any interest in the nighttime visit to Victoria on the Ruby itinerary?
We thought about it a bit and decided we would likely stay aboard ship that last night regardless, so I guess that's a "no". :)

As noted, the HAL itinerary offers significantly superior scenic cruising for 2 of the 7 days.
A major factor for us.

If flight price difference is significant, you do not need to fly into YVR for the HAL cruise. You can easily fly into Seattle and transfer from there to Vancouver for a modest amount of money. We took BoltBus round trip from Seattle to Vancouver for less than $100 for four people.
As mentioned, the red-eye from YVR, assuming it is still running in 2018, assuages our concerns about the price difference... mainly because it gives us an excuse to take that post-cruise excursion sightseeing Vancouver all day, wrapping up before 5 pm at the airport to retrieve our luggage, and wait for our 10 pm flight home. We would have incurred most of that expense regardless, but doing our Vancouver sightseeing that way, instead of taking an extra day in Vancouver before the cruise, saves money. It's not quite a wash but it comes pretty close.

Both are nice itineraries. Enjoy.
Thanks!

_____

* To complete the comparison, in case anyone else is reading this thread considering the same choice... comparing Seattle r/t on Princess to Vancouver r/t on Holland America:

Juneau: P: 11AM-10PM; H: 1PM-10PM

Skagway: P: 6AM-8:15PM; H: 7AM-9PM

Ketchikan: P: 7AM-1PM; H: 10AM-6PM

Victoria: P: 7PM-12MM; H: n/a

Clearly Princess has more port time, especially if you consider Victoria. However, excluding Victoria, it's pretty close to a wash, and if we do the Tracy Arm excursion leaving the ship at 10AM instead of going to Juneau, then why would we care that the ship doesn't arrive at Juneau until 1PM?

I like HAL for the photo package option.... with Princess I can spend more than the cruise!

With regards to Victoria post-cruise.....

I like HAL for the photo package option.... with Princess I can spend more than the cruise!

Who picks a cruise based on a photo package??? Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!! By the way - Princess cruises have been offering photo packages for a few months now on several ships.

With the HAL itinerary it seems that we can do both, which given that it may be our only trip to Alaska, would be my preference.
Need to double check your research.... not all HAL ships do both. For those that offer both....

• Glacier Bay is a full scenic cruise day.
  • Tracy Arm only has the cruise ship at the entrance to the 31 mile fjord. You need to sign up for the Fjord excursion (which sells out before the ship leaves Vancouver) to seek out the Sawyer Glacier while the cruise ship races to 50 miles to Juneau for it's itinerary. By the time you return from the 112 mile water trip you may find you have very limited time to explore Juneau's highlights (Mendenhall? Whale Watch? Tracy's Crab shack).

Who picks a cruise based on a photo package??? Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!! By the way - Princess cruises have been offering photo packages for a few months now on several ships.

I agree. I haven't bought photos in 20 years and could care less about a photo package. I would never choose a line based on that.

Edited by Coral

I agree. I haven't bought photos in 20 years and could care less about a photo package. I would never choose a line based on that.

I doubt that that was (or perhaps hope it was not) what the PP was implying. However, such matters could reasonably matter: In deciding between these two options, I come back to what epixx wrote:

Both are nice itineraries.

At some point earlier this weekend, my spouse and I were both firmly indifferent between the two options. Had some other differences not been brought to light (by yourself and others), we may have made the decision based on a coin flip, or as little as a $50 difference in estimated cost. I can tell you that back at that point, things like complementary laundry service were having a significant role in our decision.

To be honest, assuming we go with the Holland America cruise as seems to be most likely at this point, if someone aboard the cruise asked me why we chose that cruise versus the other, right now I would say it was which side of Vancouver Island we'd travel and the possible availability of the Tracy Arm excursion from Tracy Arm Inlet. I can imagine someone hearing that considering them trivial differences, but with two itineraries as good as these two, that's sometimes all the decision comes down to.

I doubt that that was (or perhaps hope it was not) what the PP was implying. However, such matters could reasonably matter: In deciding between these two options,

I disagree. She seems obsessed with photo packages saying that if she had to buy photos, she would spend more than the cruise itself. I think she threw out a figure of $700 or $800 plus for pictures! I do not know anyone who buys photos from the cruise line (with a package or not). I want pictures but I want pictures I take on excursions which is a memory of what I saw. I don't want posed pictures on the ship. How many of these does one need?

If you have been on this board enough - she puts this as a huge criteria for picking a cruise. There was one thread where she went further in depth in it and many of couldn't believe it and someone suggested she seek help because of it. I thought the same....

To be honest, assuming we go with the Holland America cruise as seems to be most likely at this point, if someone aboard the cruise asked me why we chose that cruise versus the other, right now I would say it was which side of Vancouver Island we'd travel and the possible availability of the Tracy Arm excursion from Tracy Arm Inlet. I can imagine someone hearing that considering them trivial differences, but with two itineraries as good as these two, that's sometimes all the decision comes down to.

I try to book B2B which puts me at RT Vancouver. Vancouver to Whittier and back to Vancouver on Princess. In Juneau on the Northbound, I do AdventureBound to Tracy Arm as there is enough time in Juneau. I have done this 2x and neither time made it due to ice conditions but it was still wonderful. So just be prepared. Last year, Tracy Arm was barely accessible for most sailings.

I would put the most emphasis on times in ports and ports you want to see. I also think highly of Glacier Bay. Last year, Hubbard was not very accessible either to cruise ships. Most missed it.

Edited by Coral

I disagree. She seems obsessed with photo packages saying that if she had to buy photos, she would spend more than the cruise itself. I think she threw out a figure of $700 or $800 plus for pictures!
Yipes! Well, as I said, it was my hope. Heh. As you pointed out, I haven't been following this board since our 2008 cruise. Thanks for the heads-up.

I try to book B2B which puts me at RT Vancouver.
We cannot justify the expenditure of time or money, unfortunately. Actually, if money and time were no object, we wouldn't do B2B, but rather up (northbound), over (a few days at Denali) and back (southbound).

In Juneau on the Northbound, I do AdventureBound to Tracy Arm as there is enough time in Juneau. I have done this 2x and neither time made it due to ice conditions but it was still wonderful. So just be prepared. Last year, Tracy Arm was barely accessible for most sailings.
Okay, I had feared this. We will pay special attention to the boards 52 weeks prior to our cruise and raid a few Roll Call threads with questions about "Does anyone know if ...?" questions.

Of course, what you're pointing out is that one of the two "substantial" reasons for picking the Holland America itinerary over the Princess itinerary is, itself, very chancy. Also, you're pointing out that it may not even be much of a difference, as perhaps instead of taking that excursion from Tracy Arm Inlet it may be available to us from Juneau. (Well that's not actually true: What you're pointing out here seems to only apply to the one-way itineraries. Neither r/t itinerary gets into Juneau early enough for Adventure Bound. Good thing, too, because otherwise we would be getting back to a point where we are dangerously close to flipping a coin. :) )

We cannot justify the expenditure of time or money, unfortunately. Actually, if money and time were no object, we wouldn't do B2B, but rather up (northbound), over (a few days at Denali) and back (southbound).

Okay, I had feared this. We will pay special attention to the boards 52 weeks prior to our cruise and raid a few Roll Call threads with questions about "Does anyone know if ...?" questions.

Of course, what you're pointing out is that one of the two "substantial" reasons for picking the Holland America itinerary over the Princess itinerary is, itself, very chancy. Also, you're pointing out that it may not even be much of a difference, as perhaps instead of taking that excursion from Tracy Arm Inlet it may be available to us from Juneau. (Well that's not actually true: What you're pointing out here seems to only apply to the one-way itineraries. Neither r/t itinerary gets into Juneau early enough for Adventure Bound. Good thing, too, because otherwise we would be getting back to a point where we are dangerously close to flipping a coin. :) )

Very few cruise ships (and only one ways) have time to do Adventure Bound.

I have actually done one ways because they were incredibly cheap (as opposed to land trips which are more expensive). I wait until the last minute and book very cheap last minute cruises.

Holland does have a good itinerary. For your priorities and being RT, it makes sense.

Edited by Coral

Coming late to this thread and just commented on your "studying up" thread, but a question: have you ruled out one-way cruises? Maybe your time will be too limited to take advantage of any time in southcentral or interior Alaska, but if it was possible, you could greatly increase both the wildlife and glacier content of your trip, as well as gain much more exposure to Native and European culture/history if you could allocate 10 days or two weeks instead of one. You could visit Kenai Fjords (glaciers, wildlife) or do a glacier cruise from Whittier, or with two weeks fit in a couple of days at Denali... just sayin'.

The one-ways all begin or end in Vancouver, so you get the benefit of the full "inside passage" route, and Prince William Sound is magical once you're at the other end.

Coming late to this thread and just commented on your "studying up" thread, but a question: have you ruled out one-way cruises?
Yes, after considering them for quite a long time we decided that for us the round-trip is essential. We factored in what ("comparatively little") we would miss out on and what ("comparatively great") we gain doing the round-trip. I will note, though, that our perspective on this has moved somewhat: Originally, we were convinced that the Seattle round-trip was the way to go. As we reflected more and more, and based on some things that Coral pointed out (that you have now echoed), we reversed ourselves on that, and (pretty-much, now) decided to go with the Vancouver round-trip.

Maybe your time will be too limited to take advantage of any time in southcentral or interior Alaska, but if it was possible, you could greatly increase both the wildlife and glacier content of your trip, as well as gain much more exposure to Native and European culture/history if you could allocate 10 days or two weeks instead of one.
Bingo. That was the determining factor: In a nutshell, for us, we decided that no Denali = no one-way.

Who knows? Maybe we'll have more time and money after we retire, and we'll return to Alaska to take in the grander experience.

Edited by bicker

Holland America includes a stop at Tracy Arm Inlet and offers a Tracy Arm excursion, while Princess does not (on that itinerary). Also: We've cruised Holland America before.

This is my all time favorite excursion in the history of ever. I would book it again in an instant. (With that said, there were quite a few trip reports in 2016 where Tracy Arm passage was not possible due to ice.)

The rest is a wash for me - we cruise in inside cabins.;)

Yipes! Well, as I said, it was my hope. Heh. As you pointed out, I haven't been following this board since our 2008 cruise. Thanks for the heads-up.

First of all - neither HAL nor Princess is booking 2018 Alaska cruises yet, so how can you narrow down your choice between two ships? Second - you plan to book a suite on your cruise, which costs considerably more than any other cabin type. You could book a less expensive cabin and use the money saved for a longer trip. However, if you don't have the time, then I guess not.

Although many ships didn't get to Tracy Arm in 2016 due to the ice, they substituted Endicott Arm instead.

Edited by NancyIL

First of all - neither HAL nor Princess is booking 2018 Alaska cruises yet, so how can you narrow down your choice between two ships?
A couple of ways. First: Princess has released their 2018 Alaska cruises to their agents, and through that mechanism the official details have leaked to the public, including all the cruises, the specific itineraries, the base fares for each category class, including fees and such. All the details one would ever have vis a vis the cruises to be offered are out there, and I'll admit I have copies of it all.

Second, it is reasonable to look at 2017 as a template for 2018.

Second - you plan to book a suite on your cruise, which costs considerably more than any other cabin type. You could book a less expensive cabin and use the money saved for a longer trip.
The two matters are somewhat unrelated. We are booking a suite because we want to travel in a suite. So with regard to going up into Denali, the only valid comparison for us is the round-trip itinerary in a suite versus the one-way itinerary in a suite with a post-cruise package into Denali.

However, if you don't have the time, then I guess not.
We won't retire for another couple of years after the cruise, so taking that many days off in a row, in the jobs we have now, is just not reasonable.

Although many ships didn't get to Tracy Arm in 2016 due to the ice, they substituted Endicott Arm instead.
Hmm.... maybe we're talking about different things (or maybe not). Are you saying that if you book the specific excursion we were talking about - the one that you catch when the ship makes a Service Call at Tracy Arm Inlet, that goes into Tracy Arm and then brings you back to the ship where it is anchored near Juneau - if you book that excursion and it is not possible to visit Tracy Arm due to weather, that excursion will instead take you to Endicott Arm? Edited by bicker

A couple of ways. First: Princess has released their 2018 Alaska cruises to their agents, and through that mechanism the official details have leaked to the public, including all the cruises, the specific itineraries, the base fares for each category class, including fees and such. All the details one would ever have vis a vis the cruises to be offered are out there, and I'll admit I have copies of it all.

Second, it is reasonable to look at 2017 as a template for 2018.

The cruise lines tend to offer similar itineraries every year, but there have been some nice surprises. For 2017, NCL Sun has one 14-night San Francisco to Vancouver cruise that goes to all 3 glacier areas and most Alaskan and Canadian ports. I was booked on that - until I changed to b2b 9-night NB/7-night SB cruises on Radiance of the Seas (following its Honolulu to Vancouver repo cruise).

If it were me (and I know it isn't!) - any ship that sailed from Seattle would be out of the running, unless it sailed east of Vancouver Island at least one direction.

The two matters are somewhat unrelated. We are booking a suite because we want to travel in a suite. So with regard to going up into Denali, the only valid comparison for us is the round-trip itinerary in a suite versus the one-way itinerary in a suite with a post-cruise package into Denali.

I gathered that the suite was important to you, but that choice does limit other options. I am quite the opposite - preferring multiple and/or longer trips to luxurious ones.

We won't retire for another couple of years after the cruise, so taking that many days off in a row, in the jobs we have now, is just not reasonable.
You'll have a great trip - even if you can't do a land trip afterward.

Hmm.... maybe we're talking about different things (or maybe not). Are you saying that if you book the specific excursion we were talking about - the one that you catch when the ship makes a Service Call at Tracy Arm Inlet, that goes into Tracy Arm and then brings you back to the ship where it is anchored near Juneau - if you book that excursion and it is not possible to visit Tracy Arm due to weather, that excursion will instead take you to Endicott Arm?

Yes - assuming Endicott Arm isn't also iced out.