Cruising with a 7mth old...Help...I'm driving myself mad.

Newtocruising184

I'm about to go on my first cruise (MSC Poseia) around the Caribbean. Whilst really looking forward to it I have so many questions relating to travelling with a baby. The most urgent of which is how on earth do I make up his formula without access to s kettle? There must be a simple way...please can someone enlighten me?

Also, does anyone know what the ship's ship stocks in terms of baby brands?

Any tips to make this less stressful greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm about to go on my first cruise (MSC Poseia) around the Caribbean. Whilst really looking forward to it I have so many questions relating to travelling with a baby. The most urgent of which is how on earth do I make up his formula without access to s kettle? There must be a simple way...please can someone enlighten me?

Also, does anyone know what the ship's ship stocks in terms of baby brands?

Any tips to make this less stressful greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MSC (BAMBINO) BABY TIME

"MSC Cruises, along with Chicco, offer FREE baby essentials including bottle warmers*, strollers, backpacks (for baby items), bouncing chairs, small fridge in stateroom to store perishable baby goods, cots, high chairs…and much more! Parents can enjoy some quality time with the little ones in their very own special area. Our Mini Club is specially reserved for our youngest guests (under 3 years old) to play and mingle for hours. Come by and have some fun with your child, make friends with other parents vacationing with their children and let our professional and experienced childcare staff handle all the intricate details. Bottle warmers are available in specific places on all of our ships. Please contact Reception/Guest Services for information once you are on board."

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Partnerships/MSC-Chicco.aspx

Other than what is listed above, don't expect the ship to have any stock of any other baby items such as formula or diapers - in fact MSC's shops tend to run low on items for adults. MSC can make pureed food for your baby if needed. Other than that, bring your own whatever you think you will need. Stop at a store before boarding and buy all the nappies or diapers, formula and other items you think you might need. Assume the unexpected might occur and your baby might get diarrhea and plan accordingly. Bring all possible emergency medicines you might need for your baby - your pediatrician can advise you as to what to have on hand and prescribe anything needed.

In the USA many brands of baby formula come in powdered form which is way easier and less bulky to pack and can be mixed with bottled water. Perhaps powdered formula is available in the U.K. as well?

And in a pinch, bottles can be heated the old fashioned way - in a bathroom sink full of hot water!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Viv0828

You'll want to check with the ship's pediatrician as soon as you board the ship.

Why? Is there even a pediatrician on board or just a GP? Any trip to the medical center is going to incur a charge. I don't get why the OP would want to do that?

At 7 mos...a baby is sucking on their toes..pulling up and crawling. Sterilization is out of the window....their immune system will take over!

7 month olds do NOT need sterile conditions....Tap water is fine. Use bottled water (which is no more "sterile" than tap...but if it makes you feel better...go ahead) if you want.

I'm thinking this is a 1st child....no worries..they are strong and well equipped for this world. You won't kill you child...I swear..you won't.

Breast feeding is best....but if you're not doing it...tap water will be fine. Totally. I'm serious and your child will be fine.

At 7 mos...a baby is sucking on their toes..pulling up and crawling. Sterilization is out of the window....their immune system will take over!

7 month olds do NOT need sterile conditions....Tap water is fine. Use bottled water (which is no more "sterile" than tap...but if it makes you feel better...go ahead) if you want.

I'm thinking this is a 1st child....no worries..they are strong and well equipped for this world. You won't kill you child...I swear..you won't.

Breast feeding is best....but if you're not doing it...tap water will be fine. Totally. I'm serious and your child will be fine.

I agree with this. Also, by this age warm milk is really not necessary; but, start weaning the baby off warm bottles before the cruise!

Our very old-fashioned pediatrician, way back in 1969, when I had lots of nervous new mother questions told me that I could warm the bottles if I wanted to but that it wasn't necessary for the baby (I was unable to breast feed). He said the warm bottle is really for the mother--it makes her feel better--but that babies don't care. I never warmed one bottle for my two boys and they never objected or were sick.

Possibly there are certain health issues that would require this? And I can see that switching off between breast milk, which is warm, and cold bottles might be an issue.

If you do want to sterilise you can take Milton tablets and a tub ( or the bathroom sink overnight) and put the items and tablet in there for a few hours. Maybe take a thermos for hot water that you can have filled up at one of the eating places before you go bed? I will also be travelling with a 7 month old soon, but will be breastfeeding so won't have these issues. I have taken many cruises with my first child so happy to answer any other questions. Btw at 7 months old they are barely learning to sit by themselves, so wouldn't worry about them crawling/ trying to walk

If you do want to sterilise you can take Milton tablets and a tub ( or the bathroom sink overnight) and put the items and tablet in there for a few hours. Maybe take a thermos for hot water that you can have filled up at one of the eating places before you go bed? I will also be travelling with a 7 month old soon, but will be breastfeeding so won't have these issues. I have taken many cruises with my first child so happy to answer any other questions. Btw at 7 months old they are barely learning to sit by themselves, so wouldn't worry about them crawling/ trying to walk

Well, depends on the baby. My son walked at 8 months--his daughter was crawling at 5.5 months and walking at 7.5 months! But, it is unusual.