almost LIVE !! - Regal/Caribbean Princesses b²b 12/4/2016 - 12/17/2016

scubacruiserx2

We successfully made the jump to the Caribbean Princess yesterday and celebrated with dinner at the Crown Grille last night . With a day at sea , it's laundry day and our M&G is set for 11 AM at Skywalkers .It's formal night in the MDR and time to pack our gear for diving in Roatan followed by Belize and Cozumel on Thursday ( more diving ) .

A word of note to those with GOES or Global one . You need to bring the card issued and your passport . We haven't used the card ever, only using our passports , successfully for 6 years . But there is a change in protocol and you need both if you want to exit using the short line . No exceptions as we found out yesterday !! We wish that we knew and now you know , so bring both !

We do not currently have Global One. I'm thinking of applying for it for both of us. From what I've read here on CC, it seems to be a good idea. It is also almost time to get our passports renewed. I will probably tackle both projects right after the holidays.

We do not currently have Global One. I'm thinking of applying for it for both of us. From what I've read here on CC, it seems to be a good idea. It is also almost time to get our passports renewed. I will probably tackle both projects right after the holidays.

We have loved it and the short lines that go with it . We have just renewed it for the first time ( it's good for 5 years ) , and the passport for 10 , so you may want to get the passport first . It does require paperwork and a interview the first time for fingerprinting , and it took us several months to wait for the interview , so you may want to call them and see how long the wait will be for you and Barry . The renewal was a snap for Pat (done by mail) , but they required me to appear in person . We dove Grand Cayman with a pilot and his wife , and he said that he also had to appear in person for the renewal , but his wife didn't . So we will remember to carry the card when we travel again , and skip the longer lines . :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Next stop , Roatan

Hi Joe & Pat!

Hope you are enjoying your unconventional "b2b"!!

Did you enjoy Roatan? We really liked that port when we stopped there on Connie back in 2013...haven't been able to get back there. There is a wonderful eco park there!

Enjoy the rest of your week on board!:)

Hi Joe & Pat!

Hope you are enjoying your unconventional "b2b"!!

Did you enjoy Roatan? We really liked that port when we stopped there on Connie back in 2013...haven't been able to get back there. There is a wonderful eco park there!

Enjoy the rest of your week on board!:)

Well hello Gracie ! Yes we did enjoy our visit there . We went to the West end for some Scuba diving there along with 2 other couples that we met on the ship . For one couple , it was their first dive in the ocean ! We did walk in the rain to meet our ride to the West end , but we were ready to get wet and I'm glad that I had a special rain coat for my camera . :) :D/SIZE]

We have loved it and the short lines that go with it . We have just renewed it for the first time ( it's good for 5 years ) , and the passport for 10 , so you may want to get the passport first . It does require paperwork and a interview the first time for fingerprinting , and it took us several months to wait for the interview , so you may want to call them and see how long the wait will be for you and Barry . The renewal was a snap for Pat (done by mail) , but they required me to appear in person . We dove Grand Cayman with a pilot and his wife , and he said that he also had to appear in person for the renewal , but his wife didn't . So we will remember to carry the card when we travel again , and skip the longer lines . :) :D

Thanks for the tips. I had a feeling I should do the passports first, so I guess that is now my plan. Once we get our Global One cards, we will probably keep them in the folders we have for our passpoers so we will be sure to bring both with us when we travel.

We successfully made the jump to the Caribbean Princess yesterday and celebrated with dinner at the Crown Grille last night . With a day at sea , it's laundry day and our M&G is set for 11 AM at Skywalkers .It's formal night in the MDR and time to pack our gear for diving in Roatan followed by Belize and Cozumel on Thursday ( more diving ) .

A word of note to those with GOES or Global one . You need to bring the card issued and your passport . We haven't used the card ever, only using our passports , successfully for 6 years . But there is a change in protocol and you need both if you want to exit using the short line . No exceptions as we found out yesterday !! We wish that we knew and now you know , so bring both !

Thank you for the the info on the GOES card. We have our family interviews for our Nexus cards in Feb :)

Where, during the cruise, were you able to use your card?

When we disembarked the Regal today, the CBP Officer only wanted to see our Nexus cards. I had our passports, but she didn't want them. Her only question was when we were returning to Canada. Total wait was less than 5 minutes. Tell the Princess folks you have Global Entry for them to usher you into the correct line. (It's the far right one.) Final disembarkation is the only time you need your Nexus card. Check-in requires your passports.

When we disembarked the Regal today, the CBP Officer only wanted to see our Nexus cards. I had our passports, but she didn't want them. Her only question was when we were returning to Canada. Total wait was less than 5 minutes. Tell the Princess folks you have Global Entry for them to usher you into the correct line. (It's the far right one.) Final disembarkation is the only time you need your Nexus card. Check-in requires your passports.

Can't wait until next year's cruise to be able to take advantage of our soon to be acquired Nexus cards. Unfortunately, we won't have them for this year's Regal New Year's cruise. Highly enjoyed your review on the other thread, Canadianburger. Definitely put me in the mood for boarding on December 29.

Here's a summary of the benefits from the USCBP

NEXUS

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

For the past 5 years we have used kiosks with our passport successfully which frees the agents to process people who require a traditional entry , thus speeding the process for everyone . We have never used our card in almost 6 years , and so we don't carry it . When we renewed it last year , I got a new head shot photo and had to appear in person to renew , while my wife's original full body shot was used again renew hers . We were instructed not to smile and so they look like mug shots .

DSC09408_zps94vfx43d.jpg

I still think that we are behind the times compared to entry into the UK by cruise ship . They put an agent on ship , assign everybody a time slot to meet them , and they stamp your passport before you dock in the UK !!! . You just walk off of the ship and everybody goes !!! :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

We do nothing special, no specialty dining, no excursions, etc. Just get me off the ship and take me to my favorite beaches

I am not a foody and hubby is fine with the food in the Anytime dining so we never pay to eat in specialty

You should try the Specialty dining like the Crown Grill..10x better than the MDR, which I find at best, "OK" or just mediocre..kinda like wedding food, or catered food..BUT, what REALLY is better, is the ambiance- dining with 1500 people is not always quiet, romantic & special...first time we tried specialty dining was on NCL in their Le Bistro, a French venue in 2001 on the NCL Sun, the first ship ever built for freestyle cruising with 4 specialty dining venues on board ( now the Escape & Getaway have over 25!)..wow! A table for 2 by the window over- looking the sea, candle light dining, no loud people, no 200 waiters criss crossing each other, no bright lights, and we could actually have a nice conversation about our day or next day, without raising voices..and the food- for $15 each, we had escargot, salad, filet mignon & veggies & potatoes, and creme brulee for dessert..it was so good, we booked it again along with 2 more different venues..now we always book 2-4 specialty restaurants every cruise on RCI, NCL, Disney,etc....chicken w/ pasta , or dried fish, or over cooked prime rib is not always appealing to me...these meals are worth $50-75 pp easily, so to now spend $20-30 pp seems like a bargain to me, and more important- my wife & I worked very hard in our careers & we deserve ..JMHO...

Big Al

I wanted to add one comment..as a cruise agent, when people ask me about dining, MDR's, specialty, buffets- I say this: if you want to eat, go to the buffet...if you want to eat better, go to the dining room..but, if you want to DINE & enjoy your meal, go to a specialty restaurant...food, of course, is subjective..I remember one couple I booked who ate one night in the MDR & thought it was terrible, loud & too busy..they then ate in the Steakhouse, where they dined every night the rest of the cruise..just read a review of a couple on the Regal who also dined every night in the Crown Grill & loved it- lobster tails, NY Strip, escargot, creamed potatoes, shrimp cocktail every night sounds pretty good to me...

Big Al