Why are Discover Scuba trips so expensive here?

Builder31

My son and I are looking to do a Discover Scuba course on our upcoming cruise. GT would be a great place to do it since there isn't that much else to do. But the dive companies I've looked at are all $200-$250pp. That's double what it costs in other ports.

Anyone have any insight as to why? Are there any dive shops in GT that are a bit more reasonable?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are 3 main dive shops in GT. Which have you contacted?

Are you looking at a ship excursion (always the most expensive option)? These are ran through Oasis Divers.

The other 2--Blue Water Divers and Grand Turk Diving take cruise ship passengers but usually need advanced reservations and typically they have small groups.

I've looked at their websites. That's where I got the pricing. I usually don't do the ships excursions, but there's not even a discover scuba course offered. Just seems strange that they are all double other ports I've looked at and was wondering why. Lack of competition I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

If you look at the other tours, they are all very expensive compared to other ports. The SCUBA diving is offered at $120 each which is semi-reasonable. The island is 70 miles from Provo so there is no competition from other islands plus the island is only 6.9 sq miles. There simply is no competition on the island. They make their money from tourists (cruise ships).