Grand injured

PonyPair

I wish all you passengers the best and glad everyone is OK. But personally, I will never sail on the Grand again. It's showing it's age in more than just cosmetic ways.

We're booked for February 3, onthe Grand, I love an adventure. :D

Edited by elliair

Missing Ensenada is no big deal really. Passengers are getting some extra sea days and even though Princess is giving some comps, those who are parked at 55 Francisco or 80 Francisco will have the additional expense of parking. Trip insurance should cover the additional days of parking ($18/day). I hope someone from the ship can contact the company (Ace Parking for 55 Francisco and Impark for 80 Francisco. Phone # for 80 Francisco is (415) 398-4162 (we're parking there February 3). No one wants their car towed.

chengkp75: I really appreciate your posts, you are a real asset to this board.

Edited by elliair

I worry we will lose what we have! Love having a ship from SF to sail on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance of that. Princess has spent tons of money on the new port. IMHO, this is just a minor set back for the Grand. It's had its fair share of troubles. On the cruise we took to Hawaii on the Grand, we hit some severe weather. It was going into dry dock when we returned to SF. The sliding glass door to the cabin on the right of us, blew into the cabin. The cabin to the left of us, the ceiling came down and injured the people in bed. The man got a broken collar bone. We could see daylight coming in under our sliding glass door, the caulking was corroded away.:eek:

I notice that the speed has been only about 1+ KPH for the last hour or so. I wonder if they are trying to do some repairs while under way?

The ship is currently underway at 11.4 kn heading 260.

kph isn't typically used as a nautical measure of speed, but it translates to around 21 kph.

How much later are they getting back? They are going to be in Honolulu on Monday. Some may fly back same day, some the following day. I'm not sure when the cruise was due back in SF.

Missing Ensenada is no big deal really. Passengers are getting some extra sea days and even though Princess is giving some comps, those who are parked at 55 Francisco or 80 Francisco will have the additional expense of parking. Trip insurance should cover the additional days of parking ($18/day). I hope someone from the ship can contact the company (Ace Parking for 55 Francisco and Impark for 80 Francisco. Phone # for 80 Francisco is (415) 398-4162 (we're parking there February 3). No one wants their car towed.

chengkp75: I really appreciate your posts, you are a real asset to this board.

The only real problem I have is to finish drinking the wine I brought on board, challenge accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great attitude! I think that having a hole in the side of the ship would enhance my need to drink too. Best wishes to you and everyone on board!

Additional expenses? They are not due back until the 8th?

The ship is currently underway at 11.4 kn heading 260.

kph isn't typically used as a nautical measure of speed, but it translates to around 21 kph.

I guess I should have said "knots per hour" instead of assuming others would know what I meant.

OK, I just checked again and the speed is back up to the 11 knot area.

yes - i think Princess Corporate is working on flights - we don't have any specific info yet. Will get into Honolulu sometime Monday afternoon.

I imagine they are lining up charters. There aren't many seats available from Hawaii, even in a somewhat low season.

If I were booked on the December 20th cruise I would be concerned. They need to do temporary repairs in Hawaii and then move the ship to the scheduled dry dock in California. My guess is they can't cancel the dry dock. It seems having the ship ready for a December 20th sailing is in question.

If I were booked on the December 20th cruise I would be concerned. They need to do temporary repairs in Hawaii and then move the ship to the scheduled dry dock in California. My guess is they can't cancel the dry dock. It seems having the ship ready for a December 20th sailing is in question.

I'm on the Dec 20 Christmas cruise and will be following all the updates. I'm hoping they just cut the dry dock short

Edited by DougH

Aboard the Grand right now, and its been interesting to say the least!

So far, there has been no word of whether the ship will be taking people back to San Fran. They seem to be trying to fly everyone back, unless someones heard otherwise.

Also, they say corporate is trying to book people flights back to their home address, even if its a foreign country. Already a lot of people are raising concerns, especially folks from Europe who were planning to continue traveling through(or stay in) America after this cruise. My parents in law are in a similar situation. Even though we wrote San Fran as our preferred airport of return on the cruise personalizer, they say their home address will be used.

The front desk folks are quite adamantly saying there is nothing they can do, that corporate will book flights back to the home address, and its up to us to refuse the flight, book another flight with our own money, and then ask corporate for compensation afterwards.

Anyone know if this is how things work? And if refunds will come through?

If nothing, I cant wait for the comedians act tonight and tomorrow :) And other than, you know, the ship taking in water, its been a pretty great cruise.

Edited by maizer

I'm on the Dec 20 Christmas cruise and will be following all the updates. I'm hoping they just cut the dry dock short

Depending upon what the dry dock involved, perhaps they could get the interior part done enroute from Honolulu to Oregon since they will have an empty ship. Hopefully it all works out for you and the other Christmas passengers on the Grand. I'm guessing that Princess will do everything possible to ensure that your cruise isn't cancelled.