Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

Just lurking here as a semi refugee from the Silversea boards and fascinated by the amount of discussion and diverse opinions that 'formal optional' generates.

Luckily this board does not seem to have been noticed by the SS board's mega poster who has had the effect of killing this sort of open air forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

there's a mega poster here too, see a few above. Knows everything apparently, quick to criticize any one regardless of their experience or opinion.

We have just returned from cruise from Bali to Singapore. In the ten nights, there were two formal evenings. The majority of guests of all ages dressed up most evenings. Many of the men in gorgeous jackets. I would say 80% did black tie with many ladies wearing long dresses and plenty of bling! I don't think I saw one pair of jeans, blue or black. Neither did I see bikinis and coveralls in the restaurants. It was great to have the sense of occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am glad to hear that you saw so many tastefully dressed passengers on Seabourn's formal nights!

To me a Seabourn cruise would not be the same without them and the captain's welcome party in the Grand Salon, usually on this night. The welcoming event is only hosted in the Grand Salon, fyi, on the Odyssey class ships since the Encore's GS is not large enough there. Instead you can meet him and other officers in the Observation Bar and the Club as he does a walkabout.

For those who won't participate in formal dress nights - I understand that Regent does not bother with formal nights and dress code recommendations - there are informal dining options such as the Colonnade. But I would hope that ladies and gentlemen will always comply with each restaurant's dress code. If not, well, there is always Regent and similar lines.

Happy and healthy sailing!

In August, my partner & I will be taking our first SB cruise, on Quest circling the UK, Dover to Dover. We find this discussion of dress code quite interesting, as it seems to be, like those on the Regent, Crystal, and Silversea boards, a debate between those who recognize the dress code that the cruise line has adopted and those who wish it was something else, usually what it used to be.

The posters of posts #146 and #152 were, if my calculations of dates are correct, on the same cruise, but have dramatically divergent impressions of the way that passengers were attired on formal evenings. Are there perhaps two different Restaurants aboard Quest, resulting in such remarkably different experiences? Is one Restaurant labeled "Carnival rot" and the other "the good old days of tastefully-dressed passengers"?

Although new to SB, we have a few hundred nights of luxury cruising on Regent, Silversea, Crystal, and Hapag Lloyd. Therefore, we have at least a passing notion of the difference between black tie and OshkoshB'gosh bib overalls. Nonetheless, are we reading the SB dress code incorrectly when we conclude that on formal evenings one may be entirely compliant with the code whilst wearing a collared shirt, slacks and jacket (with or without tie)? It appears to us that the current SB dress code is almost identical to that on Crystal, on which ties are optional on formal (optional) evenings.

While these two gentlemen will absolutely "comply with each restaurant's dress code", we certainly will not feel in the least measure obliged to comply with someone else's personal opinion of what the dress code should be but is not.

What on earth does "participate in formal dress nights" mean? One might well think that it is something like playing dress-up.

By the way, despite what some posters incorrectly "understand" about the Regent dress code, Regent does indeed have and vigorously enforces an "elegant casual" dress code, quite like that of SB on all but formal evenings.

We eagerly look forward to our introduction to cruising on SB and intend fully to enjoy the Restaurant on formal evenings in jackets (sans ties) as long as that is the SB dress code. The suggestion that those who observe the SB dress code but do not observe the dress code of preference of certain posters should be banished to the Colonnade is quite preposterous.

Edited by freddie

Of course you can wear a jacket and collared shirt on the formal (optional) nights. I was simply talking about those like-minded gentlemen who wear dinner jackets and those ladies who wear long dresses or cocktail dresses (and the like) with jewelry of choice to make the occasion distinct for the others nights on board. As in what you might want to wear to a gala evening hosted in this case by the captain.

The effort to do so is worthwhile to us, at least, adds something special to Seabourn ships traditionally. There is a difference between a tuxedo suit and a business suit that can be - and is - worn at work, after all.

I admit I do not know much about Regent but I had heard that it is more "US style" and its passegers are generally American. And so maybe more relaxed in the way passengers choose to dress. Seabourn, in contrast, is reputed to be more mixed in terms of passenger backgrounds and consequently in their tastes and willingness to travel with formal wear. Maybe that's where the dressing up or down trends emanate from. It sounds as if you will see for yourselves soon enough on your first cruise.

And there are those gentlement who refuse to wear jackets when requested to do so. That is where the Colonnade and Patio come into play.

First of all, the Patio is always closed on Formal nights.

A jacket is not required on nights that are not Formal.

Personally, I don't care what people wear but I do think it is strange to get dressed up in black tie and gown and there is nothing special about the evening. The Restaurant is the same as any other evening (maybe Lobster is on the menu) so to go to the trouble of dress up is all a bit much. But if people want to do it then go for it. Don't look down on people if they don't want to.

The way it is at the moment, IMO, is a mishmash. For your information, DH wears a dark suit, white shirt and dark tie and I wear a cocktail dress on formal nights, apparently this is not quite good enough for some!

Seems ok to me in what you have chosen to wear even on the Captain's welcome party evening and dinner. To me just making the effort brings its own rewards. Each to his own.

Actually, I don't much mind what people do as long as they make the choice of attire that is requested in Seabourn materials such as The Herald. That said, my views are really focused on general dress standards in the public areas of the Observation Bar and The Club after 18:00 - and not those involving formal (optional) nights. That's when the standards can be overlooked/ignored/abused with shorts, tee shirts, lycra and stuff that might as well start and stay at the poolside areas and maybe the (outdoors) Sky Bar. It does matter to the rest of us.

Surely, this observation won't be controversial or contentious?!

freddie - you are quite right, and if you should care about 'fitting in' with the majority on formal optional nights - on about 6 recent cruises in the Med. and Northern Europe we have found that each style - d.j., suit, jacket with or without tie, would be pretty equally divided between the men on board. So assuming one is prepared to follow Seabourn's 'suggestions' - not any fellow cruisers - one would fit in perfectly. Seabourn has got much more casual in the past few years, and I think is likely to become more so.

Dress code threads go on forever and constantly re-generate, on all cruise line boards. There are probably a sociological, cultural and psychological reasons for this. Personally, I do not enjoy "dressing up," (40 yeas of suit and tie wear cured me). What people are wearing does not effect my enjoyment of the cruise experience. I do the minimum, i.e. adhere to the cruise line guidelines, no more, no less. Packing less stuff and being more comfortable are priorities for me. I do wish the cruise lines would enforce there own guidelines more than they do, I think that would go a long way towards placating everyone. I have no sympathy for the contingent that constantly complain because the old dress code standards are dying (or already dead). Read the cruise line guidelines and policies and don't be surprised and upset when people follow them.

For those who won't participate in formal dress nights - I understand that Regent does not bother with formal nights and dress code recommendations - there are informal dining options such as the Colonnade. But I would hope that ladies and gentlemen will always comply with each restaurant's dress code. If not, well, there is always Regent and similar lines.

Well put markham. Proving once again......

Freddie,

You are reading the SB dress code correctly. As long as you comply with that you should dress the way that makes you comfortable, not others. I notice that those who prefer to wear tuxedos and gowns often direct those who don't to other cruise lines with a supposedly more casual dress code. Well, for them I understand Cunard offers most nights that are truly formal. If that is the most important factor in choosing a cruise line you have a choice too.

Dress code discussions are like death and taxes.....they're going to happen, recently posted on another thread:

Dress code threads go on forever and constantly re-generate, on all cruise line boards. There are probably sociological, cultural and psychological reasons for this. Personally, I do not enjoy "dressing up," (40 yeas of suit and tie wear cured me). What people are wearing does not effect my enjoyment of the cruise experience. I do the minimum, i.e. adhere to the cruise line guidelines, no more, no less. Packing less stuff and being more comfortable are priorities for me. I do wish the cruise lines would enforce their own guidelines more than they do, I think that would go a long way towards placating everyone. I have no sympathy for the contingent that constantly complain because the old dress code standards are dying (or already dead). Read the cruise line guidelines and policies and don't be surprised and upset when people follow them.

QUOTEmultiquote_off.gif

Got to admit I would far rather have someone in a pair of jeans sit next to me on formal night than have someone smoking on the balcony adjacent to mine ;p

Not meaning to be sexist but I do think for men who have to wear a suit and tie for work, the thought of having to wear one on holiday too may not fill them with joy (my beloved always whinges at me that I am 'allowed' to wear in his words 'floaty blouses' in the summer whilst he is strangled in a shirt and tie :)

I think the Seabourn dress code strikes a nice balance and of course, we ladies can wear a range of dresses or trousers and tops which are nothing like work wear, make us feel good and fulfill all of the requirements of formal night.

Seabourn typically has one formal night per week. For men, a coat and tie or a tux. Those who do not wish to do so can order room service or dine at the Patio Grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not so. A coat without tie is sufficient even for formal evenings. No need to confine oneself to the Patio Grill or one's suite.

You can dine anywhere you want as long as you're in compliance with the dress code which, for formal nights, is a minimum of jacket and collared shirt, no tie required. You can, of course, also wear white tie and tails should you so desire.

I'm putting on my top hat,

Tying up my white tie, brushing off my tails.

I'm duding up my shirt front,

Putting in shirt studs, polishing my nails.

And I'm stepping out, my dear,

To breathe an atmosphere that simply reeks with class,

And I trust that you'll excuse my dust when I step on the gas,

For I'll be there putting down my top hat,

Mussing up my white tie, dancing in my tails

Written by Irving Berlin • Copyright © Imagem U.S. LLC