Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences.

I actually don't mind either way as long as I know what to expect and therefore how to pack. We'll have to bring either a suit or a tux anyway for my husband so why not just bring the tux!

Not sure why so much resistance exists with cruisers these days :(

Wear what you are comfortable in. Men in tuxes are always devine, and perhaps more so now that there are fewer and fewer, and nothing beats an elegant lady in striking attire, whether a gown or an LBD or other cocktail wear that is simply fabulous to her. I've never found anyone on board critical (except when I ended up in jeans on a formal night in the restaurant. I was made to walk the plank the next day.).

Sent from my dogs' iPad, but they let me share.

I get SO excited when I log in and see that there has been activity on one of the dress code threads! It makes my day.

For the poster looking for opinions on what to pack for formal night, I'd strongly suggest going to the stickied "Dress Code" thread (which is really where this one should be merged) to get a better sense of what is going on with Seabourn's dress code and passenger interpretations thereof.

You do realize you're just perpetuating this thread, don't you?! But you can't resist, can you?!

Sorry to be perpetuating even more - but, hardly any tuxes except for Xmas etc., and quite a few suits, but a sports coat with or without tie is perfectly acceptable, so either a suit which might be worn more often or just a sports coat/blazer is my offering, if you want to pack lightly.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences.

I actually don't mind either way as long as I know what to expect and therefore how to pack. We'll have to bring either a suit or a tux anyway for my husband so why not just bring the tux!

Not sure why so much resistance exists with cruisers these days :(

Resistance? Times change. Capacity has tripled in a very short time. Soon to be even more new passengers required to fill the open slots. Wider demographic base creates greater diversity. What's not to like?

Resistance? Times change. Capacity has tripled in a very short time. Soon to be even more new passengers required to fill the open slots. Wider demographic base creates greater diversity. What's not to like?

Not sure what your comments have to do with my simple posted question regarding what guests have actually "observed" regarding formal nights. Its clear everyone has a different interpretation of what "formal" means. I don't think an open collar shirt and no tie is considered formal any where but on a cruise ship these days.

So I say not problem, whatever times are apparently changing. If that is what guests want, then so be it, but stop calling it formal nights. Its best to call it "anything goes" as long as you pay!

If you want to "observe' what people are wearing on Seabourn I direct you to their brochures. I challenge you to find any model dressed in a tuxedo or gown. Ten years ago half the photos were filled with people in formal wear. Those days are over.

A note to Suite Travels - you may find Seabourn does not approve of BLUE jeans in the evening, though some people do wear black ones which seem to be acceptable! Including me sometimes, though not on 'formal optional'. NB everyone - these nights are 'formal optional'. (Just seen your post on Regent).

A note to Suite Travels - you may find Seabourn does not approve of BLUE jeans in the evening, though some people do wear black ones which seem to be acceptable! Including me sometimes, though not on 'formal optional'. NB everyone - these nights are 'formal optional'. (Just seen your post on Regent).

Seriously, you're the self-appointed arbiter of acceptable jeans. Are you kidding? Blue is not acceptable but you've carved out an exception for yourself for black because you wear black. Jeans refer to denim , and the distinction should be based on style, fit and fashion rather than mere color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, you're the self-appointed arbiter of acceptable jeans. Are you kidding? Blue is not acceptable but you've carved out an exception for yourself for black because you wear black. Jeans refer to denim , and the distinction should be based on style, fit and fashion rather than mere color.

Oh My Goodness! Am I the only one who is sick of reading about jeans? It maybe a difference in cultures but to me, no jeans after 6:00pm means BLUE Jeans. How people look is a matter of opinion ( what I wear may not be what anyone else would want to wear) but if people are clean who cares? I consider I am following the dress code "guidelines" by not wearing blue jeans after 6:00pm. In my 140 days on Seabourn I can honestly say, I don't remember who was wearing what, where or when. Conversation is far more important and interesting than what someone is wearing.

OK, I am out of here! I was merely trying to be helpful to Suite Travels, who posted on the Regent board that he thought jeans would be fine on Seabourn in the evening. I have no wish to be an 'arbiter', just speaking from experience to someone who has not yet travelled with Seabourn.

OK, I am out of here! I was merely trying to be helpful to Suite Travels, who posted on the Regent board that he thought jeans would be fine on Seabourn in the evening. I have no wish to be an 'arbiter', just speaking from experience to someone who has not yet travelled with Seabourn.

Lincslady

In my experience, you have provided a great deal of clear and valuable advice on various aspects of the Seabourn experience and I am very sorry that another poster has taken it upon themselves to abuse you for doing just that.

As usual a dress code thread brings out the worst in some people who seem to think that the dress code should reflect their views and not that of the cruise line.

We will continue to cruise with Seabourn and I will continue to enjoy the formal optional nights in an open necked shirt and jacket, more often than not eating outside rather than in the MDR as we enjoy dining Al Fresco whenever we can.

Thank you for your input.

The recent poster who raised this thread again was merely asking about the % of tux/gowns v suits/cocktail dresses.

For the life of me I cannot see any reason for this thread to denigrate to this, it is depressing reading.

Sorry I angered so many. Eh, you know what, not really. This is fun to see how many people get in a tizzy. You all say you're out of here but you all keep coming back. Relax. So here are queries to ponder: is there a difference between dark blue and light blue, and what about very dark blue that can pass for black?

Edited by Hobar

:) greetings. MR. Hobar here. Ms. Hobar is a trial attorney. I am a pr exec. Hence, her confrontation and then I come in and clean up the mess and make nice. ;p

As for me, clogs, one of those powder blue French cuff tuxedo shirts and Daisy Duke shorts and I'm set.

Seriously, we are all so fortunate to live a life where we can sail so a little good natured sarcasm is fun-now and then-more THEN!

Hope to meet some of you. Now..let me go make up the guest room since that's where I will be sleeping this evening!:cool:

Well let me throw a cat in with the birds. I don't get to formally dress up in a dinner suit ( tux) too often ,& it seems that the chances of doing so on this cruise are going to be considerable, 35 days from Singapore to Greece. Not only dressing up formally, but being able to wear my miniture medals, as they can only be worn after 6PM, on the lapel of a dinner suit, has great appeal to me.

What other people wear is up to them. Whatever you feel comfortable in. What you wear should not be dictated by other peoples opinion.

Cats among the pigeons?

I want to go on the record that I like cats, too. And so I enjoy wearing my dinner jackets - I have white and black depending on the season - and accessories for those longer cruises.

And also, let me make a plug and something of an apology to Mel who loves those "Howdy Doody git to know yer neighbor" block parties in the corridors that CDs execute with glee much to the dismay of the hapless and tormented-looking captains who get dragged along. Mel on our last cruise wore a name badge with his town and admission that he too likes cats. Seems to me that anyone who likes cats can't be faulted if he gets swept up in an official "Signature Event" such as the block party. No matter how I feel personally about the awful things.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Well let me throw a cat in with the birds. I don't get to formally dress up in a dinner suit ( tux) too often ,& it seems that the chances of doing so on this cruise are going to be considerable, 35 days from Singapore to Greece. Not only dressing up formally, but being able to wear my miniture medals, as they can only be worn after 6PM, on the lapel of a dinner suit, has great appeal to me.

What other people wear is up to them. Whatever you feel comfortable in. What you wear should not be dictated by other peoples opinion.

Amen!

Amen!

Risking being flamed again - it is not 'other people's opinion ' which counts, just the cruise line's rulings. Most posters on here have been trying to help with this ruling, rather than expressing their own opinions.

Nobody is disagreeing with the cruise line's rulings. This rulings clearly do not require tuxedoes or long gowns. Far from it. Yet some posters prefer to dress that way and seem to want others to do so as well. That is why I said amen to eagle14's post that what you wear should not be dictated by others' opinions.

What do y'all mean by "rulings"?? Assuming you mean the guidance of the Dress Code, it is more vague and ambiguous than clear and explicit. In the documentation we received for our upcoming cruise, the Dress Code states, in pertinent part, for both Elegant Casual and Formal, "jeans are not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm." (A liberal interpretation suggests that jeans are ok anywhere after 6 pm EXCEPT in The Restaurant.). Since we will be on the ship only one of the two formal nights, I (Ms. Hobar - actually, the Ho in HoBar) will be wearing a gown that evening. But I will not be surprised, angered or disgusted (and actually could care less) if anyone wears jeans (black, blue, or any other color of the rainbow) that evening. I celebrate diversity in all its forms, even clothes. I will just be happy because I'm on Seabourn with Bar.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using TapaBark.