Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

Can we not all just go with the flow? Seabourn's guidelines are no jeans in the restaurant. Seabourn has several alternative dining venues so if you really cannot be dragged out of your jeans then there are other places to eat.

I'm not that old :D (early 50s and a teacher) When I visit a beautiful restaurant or anywhere where there is a dress code I enjoy the opportunity to dress up as it makes a change from my lab coat!

I do feel that there is definitely a distinction now between various generations of what is acceptable clothing. For many older people, jeans are work clothes - as I would not wear my lab coat to dinner in the evenings they have the same view of jeans. The young people who I teach have a very different view of being 'dressed up' than I do and the rest of the passengers between me and the youngsters probably also have a different view again.

The very original poster wanted to know what the proportion of dressy to casual was. I think the purpose of any dress code is to ensure the majority are comfortable - I wouldn't want to turn up in hot pants and flip flops (if only :')) if everyone else is in a gown and nor would I want to turn up in a gown and tiara if everyone else is more casually dressed, however, there are always people who want to stand out in either direction and express their individuality.

For me, the beauty of a Seabourn cruise is that I get to wear the other half of my wardrobe that doesn't see the light of day when I am at work - it's not designer (I'm a teacher remember) but I think it's smart and tidy, I feel ok in it and it fits with the majority and I'm happy with that.

Hobar is a trial attorney. I wonder what he will do when he retires.

Happy and healthy sailing!

That's a long way off but ... go on a world cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do y'all mean by "rulings"?? Assuming you mean the guidance of the Dress Code......But I will not be surprised, angered or disgusted (and actually could care less) if anyone wears jeans (black, blue, or any other color of the rainbow) that evening................

Apologies for being off topic, but why do you (and many others) use the term "could care less" when you obviously mean you could NOT care less?

Wow this will be fun! OK - Camillus - the correct thing to say is, "I could not care less" (or "I couldn't care less"). This means - literally - I care so very little about the matter, it would not be possible for me to care any less than I do. I care, effectively, ZERO. As a result - I could not care less.

HOWEVER - Laylam AND Camillus - many native English speakers are awful English speakers. The phrase is old - old - old - and so what folks now say is what their parents said, their grandparents said...and my own grandparents, not being excellent English speakers, always said, "I could care less." And so do I, by habit and by inheritance, but correct or not - there is never any doubt about what I mean.

I'll tie it in to the topic by making a comment: While I might care less about what one wears to dinner, I couldn't care less about the excuses for ignoring the spirit of the posted ship policies.

Apologies for being off topic, but why do you (and many others) use the term "could care less" when you obviously mean you could NOT care less?

People say they could care less when, logically, they mean they couldn't care less. The phrase "I couldn't care less" originated in Britain and made its way to the United States in the 1950s. To say you could care less means you have a bit of caring left, which is not what the speakers seem to intend.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using TapaBark.

Ok, English is my second language so I am very much interested in how this is resolved. I have to say that in the USA people colloquially say "I could care less". Is this correct?

See response above. My American ancestors botched the English language, and for that I apologize.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using TapaBark.

"I care so very little about the matter, it would not be possible for me to care any less than I do. I care, effectively, ZERO. As a result - I could not care less."

"To say you could care less means you have a bit of caring left, which is not what the speakers seem to intend."

Thank you so much, Shipcamein and Hobar, you both have illustrated precisely the reasoning behind the correct usage. Of course, all languages are affected by colloquialisms and some can be charming. Great to have had this discussion.

Thanks, Techno123 - everyone can now see that appropriate dress for Seabourn on 'formal optional' is black tie, black tie optional, semi-formal or business, or business casual!! I don't think sloppy would be acceptable by most restaurant managers or even other guests for any evening, and I am not too happy about what he is doing with his hands either.

This guide for men to packing and dressing on board should be included in Seabourn's pre-cruise material, on board in the Herald, and on placards outside the Observation Bar and MDR so as to ensure that everyone is exposed to the message.

Now we all know that there will be some who will feign ignorance or some

version of their own particular "special circumstance" when it comes time to dress up, dress down or object that "rules are made to broken"/don't apply to them anyway. So be it. At least Seabourn would be demonstrating that it believes in educating its public about sartorial matters, simply and dispassionately, once and for all.

It's high time, in my opinion. Even if the placard at the entrance to the Observation Bar encourages just a few of the lycra, shorts, tee shirt and towel-over-bathing-suit wearing characters I have seen the past couple of years on Seabourn ships after 18:00 to turn back, shower and change their evening wear, well, that would be a good thing.

Markham to Seattle: Are you listening? (And don't forget to credit RMRS once you have secured their approval.)

Markham to Seattle: Are you listening? (And don't forget to credit RMRS once you have secured their approval.)

Probably not. Nothing new being said. Same old same old. Over and over and over again.

Gentlemen here is the 'proper' way to dress [emoji23]8420b2904413aac46d340e1fd84e6f33.jpg

There are more than 200 nations in the world, the vast majority do not dress like this and their formal or national dress is totally different to the above, should we exclude them?

No, Haworth, of course not. That's why Seabourn can and should also specify "National Dress" in connection with formal (optional) nights on board. Every nation has traditional standards of dress for special occasions, right? So you can view these as guidelines from the Western world (where Seabourn is headquartered), if you like.

Of course, many women already get it when they consider how to dress for formal (optional or otherwise) occasions. But not to put too fine a point on it, for all nations and genders, it's about the effort you make to show that you have, well, made an effort. Believe me, it is never lost on the rest of us who have made the same effort. And that includes the crew.

And Pop-I, don't give up the ship! It may be "same old same old", as you put it. But remember that education is always a worthwhile pursuit and so very often conveys rewards in the fullness of time. We can be patient.

I agree Haworth if one of my fellow Celts From up North was onboard their formal outfit would be the dress kilt sans underwear ;).

I also agree with Markham, I think the point of all of these dress code threads is that there is a general feeling that people should make an effort to dress for dinner be that a pair chinos and a polo shirt for casual evenings or a jacket and 'proper trousers ' for a formal evening. There are still many restaurants, hotels and clubs which will deny you entry if not attired according to their dress code.

I know some will say 'it's my holiday, I can wear what I like' but if you choose to sail with a company that has a dress code then why whinge when you are expected to abide by it?

Edited by Techno123