Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

The formal wear includes a suit without a tie as Lincslady specified a few posts back and actually the picture I posted had everything from white tie to sloppy - definitely never seen on Downton Abbey - the Dowager Countess was horrified when her son wore black tie to dinner so standards have definitely slipped if we are going by the Downton dress code, wripro

The formal wear includes a suit without a tie as Lincslady specified a few posts back and actually the picture I posted had everything from white tie to sloppy - definitely never seen on Downton Abbey - the Dowager Countess was horrified when her son wore black tie to dinner so standards have definitely slipped if we are going by the Downton dress code, wripro

I agree. But I don't necessarily think standards have slipped. They have simply evolved. Back when most men wore tuxedoes on formal nights they were also puffing away on a cigarette. As I say things have evolved.

I agree. But I don't necessarily think standards have slipped. They have simply evolved. Back when most men wore tuxedoes on formal nights they were also puffing away on a cigarette. As I say things have evolved.

+1 I agree. (cruise critic won't let me only put +1)

Oh dear wripro, I think I need to clarify as you seem to have taken my tongue in cheek comments and picture rather more seriously than I intended.

All of the dress code threads seem to revolve around jeans and 'The Picture' was something I found on-line which I thought was amusing, showing jeans towards one end and white tie at the other end: it was never my intention to appear to dictate what people wear, I really don't give two hoots, however I am a bit of a 'rule follower'. If there is a dress code I abide by it as best I can and don't understand why people whinge about it when the dress code was published way before they booked their cruise.

The Downton Abbey comment was made because if we are expected to use this particular era as our sartorial benchmark then there is no hope for any of us :) (even Downton evolved over the course of the series although I still think the Dowager Countess would have had a fainting fit if the Earl of Grantham had turned up without a tie ;)).

I agree Haworth if one of my fellow Celts From up North was onboard their formal outfit would be the dress kilt sans underwear ;).

That could inadvertently serve up some additional entertainment for those standing near the staircase in the line that invariably forms for the seating rush on formal night. :evilsmile:

Thank you all for your input, this has been extremely helpful. We are new to Seabourn, two cruises planned one for this summer on the Odyssey and one for June 2018 on the Encore. I plan on cocktail dresses for most evenings, but DH will be wearing a jacket and slacks for all evenings, no tie. He wears a suit and tie each day to work and prefers to be more relaxed on vacation.

Thank you all for your input, this has been extremely helpful. We are new to Seabourn, two cruises planned one for this summer on the Odyssey and one for June 2018 on the Encore. I plan on cocktail dresses for most evenings, but DH will be wearing a jacket and slacks for all evenings, no tie. He wears a suit and tie each day to work and prefers to be more relaxed on vacation.

Glad to read that you have been able to sort out the worthwhile and sometimes amusing posts here from the snarky ones!!:)

My husband (as do many passengers) wears black tie and I wear a long dress on the formal evenings. Many guests enjoy the opportunity to dress up for the occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And that is perfect for them. To have the opportunity to dress the way they like. And so should everyone as long as they stay within Seabourn's stated guidelines.

Glad to read that you have been able to sort out the worthwhile and sometimes amusing posts here from the snarky ones!!:)

Thank you! You appear to be a Seabourn regular. I'm encouraged by the positive comments on this line so we are extremely excited to give Seabourn a try.

Thank you! You appear to be a Seabourn regular. I'm encouraged by the positive comments on this line so we are extremely excited to give Seabourn a try.

Fear not,the people who you'll meet on a Seabourn ship are much nicer than most that post on these boards [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have avoided this topic for so long but truly it seems a bit ironic to me that some people on this board - when Seabourn has a clearly stated policy - wish to bend the rules to suit them. Are these the same people who let their dogs off leash in leash-only areas? Fail to pick up after their dogs? Complain about unruly children in family friendly environments? Complain about children on Seabourn? But yet can not pack a jacket for a cruise on a line that has a Jacket policy in the MDR on formal nights? And what exactly is wrong with dressing up a few times when on a cruise? Are you suggesting you can afford to sail on Seabourn but don't own a jacket? Is not being on a high end cruise all about well, simply having some class and abiding by the rules of the cruise line? I simply don't get the folks who think it is too much to play by the rules and want to degrade the experience.

I have avoided this topic for so long but truly it seems a bit ironic to me that some people on this board - when Seabourn has a clearly stated policy - wish to bend the rules to suit them. Are these the same people who let their dogs off leash in leash-only areas? Fail to pick up after their dogs? Complain about unruly children in family friendly environments? Complain about children on Seabourn? But yet can not pack a jacket for a cruise on a line that has a Jacket policy in the MDR on formal nights? And what exactly is wrong with dressing up a few times when on a cruise? Are you suggesting you can afford to sail on Seabourn but don't own a jacket? Is not being on a high end cruise all about well, simply having some class and abiding by the rules of the cruise line? I simply don't get the folks who think it is too much to play by the rules and want to degrade the experience.

I haven't seen any posts on this thread of anyone saying they don't abide the dress code. It seems lots of posters assume that has been said but all I've read indicates that everyone dresses per the code in each venue, although some dress up more than others.

Yes, there were a few by people who seemed not to want to abide by the code -maybe their posts have been removed, I do not know (or care). I think most of those who ask for advice want to know how broad the spectrum of 'formal optional' is, and also often what proportion of guests dress in the different ways. IMO generally about 25 to 30 per cent would be in d j (tux), the rest about evenly divided between a suit with tie and a sports jacket with or without tie, but with collared shirt. More formal wear is seen at times like Christmas and New Year.

I personally do not care what people wear, but just tried to warn those who did not know that it was possible that they would be asked to change if they arrived at the restaurant door in what looked like jeans. I personally would feel mortified, but others I suspect actually like a bit of confrontation.

My, my my!!!

First of all, no one is saying people shouldn't abide by Seabourn's dress code which calls for a jacket, no tie necessary, on formal optional nights. Everyone should abide by that. But many seem to think that because once upon a time most people wore tuxedoes and gowns and they still prefer to dress that way, that those who abide by Seabourn's current policy are not living up to their personal standards.

And second of all those who prefer to dress a bit more casually are not comparable to those who complain about unruly children in family friendly environments or on Seabourn. SEABOURN IS NOT A FAMILY FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT and it is up to those who ignore that to make sure their unruly kids behave. Disney, Royal Caribbean, Carnival are family friendly environments. Funny how some complain when they don't like other peoples' attire but care little when disruptive children destroy the atmosphere on board. This is much more offensive imo that a man without a tie.

Yes, there were a few by people who seemed not to want to abide by the code -maybe their posts have been removed, I do not know (or care).

I personally do not care what people wear, . I personally would feel mortified, but others I suspect actually like a bit of confrontation.

You don't care?You spend an awful lot of time posting when you don't care. I haven't seen any postings by anyone indicating they like confrontation.Are you going to say those were removed too? Just trying to get a sense of the basis of your assumptions.

Edited by Pop-I

Speaking for myself, I DO care. And that is why I have been posting about this question of reading Seabourn's

dress code, paying some attention to it, and doing the little that it asks of you.

Why people show up at 18:00 and thereafter in the Observation Bar in shorts, tee shirts, lycra gym stuff and (once) a bathing suit with towel etc, I don't understand. Well, to be honest, I do understand. They cannot be bothered to live up to

the dress standards. And that's really unacceptable for a supposed group of wealthy and otherwise considerate, savvy travelers who value the Seabourn brand.

Why not respect what Seabourn asks of you? And why (on the rare occasion when I have seen it) remonstrate with staff and other passengers who politely point out the documented dress code?

If I thought that those people- or maybe their friends who might have some influence over them- read CC then we might see fewer of these incidents.

Happy and healthy sailing!

When is your next Seabourn cruise?

Do you remember one of your elitist posts in which you expressed your well wishes towards me being able to one day sail on your beloved Seabourn? I believe it followed an exchange regarding the crystal bowls. Questions you direct towards me will not have a response.

Being teachers on salaries which are not huge, we save up and are about to enjoy our third Seabourn cruise. There is no obvious elitism - the vast majority of the passengers are engaging and interesting and the crew go out of their way to treat everyone the same whether you are a billionaire or a public servant!

Yes there are a few who have appalling manners and a misplaced sense of entitlement, clicking their fingers or tapping their wine glasses to be served, (we had to sit next to such a person on the Evening at Ephesus) or behaving like they are at a football match, catcalling and whistling during the on deck performances, then shouting at children to be quiet when they were making more noise than all the children on-board put together :confused: but they are few and far between thank goodness.

New blood is essential for any business and as wripro stated in an earlier post, Seabourn is evolving and that is a good thing (smoking policy :D) but I hope it doesn't lose the ambience that makes it so special and that new passengers continue with that consideration of others that makes it feel like our own little community for the short period of time we call our Seabourn ship home, even if that doesn't always quite come across on some of these threads. ;)