Picky Eater - Dining Room Question

heffa72

Ok, I have a picky eater. I MAY be able to get away with him eating chicken nuggets a couple of nights in the main dining room, but I know what my son will really want is a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) or grilled cheese.

So I've cruised many times and know the staff will do what they can to accommodate you. I however do not want to throw ridiculous requests that make them have to run around the boat to get food for my picky son.

That being said, does anyone know if it's a lot of work to ask for a special dinner (pb sandwich or grilled cheese) in the main dining room or should I sadly just go do the lido deck bar and grab one before heading up for dinner some of the nights.

Normally I'd make my kiddo suck it up, but it is his vacation too and chicken nuggets will get old quickly for him.

Edited by heffa72

Ok, I have a picky eater. I MAY be able to get away with him eating chicken nuggets a couple of nights in the main dining room, but I know what my son will really want is a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) or grilled cheese.

So I've cruised many times and know the staff will do what they can to accommodate you. I however do not want to throw ridiculous requests that make them have to run around the boat to get food for my picky son.

That being said, does anyone know if it's a lot of work to ask for a special dinner (pb sandwich or grilled cheese) in the main dining room or should I sadly just go do the lido deck bar and grab one before heading up for dinner some of the nights.

Normally I'd make my kiddo suck it up, but it is his vacation too and chicken nuggets will get old quickly for him.

My son is an extremely picky eater and even though he was 12 he ate off the kids menu. I believe all those things you mentioned are on that menu. If not, I'll be someone would make him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Happy cruising.

Edited to add link to children's menu,

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/kiddieMDR.jpg

Edited by debster11

My son is an extremely picky eater and even though he was 12 he ate off the kids menu. I believe all those things you mentioned are on that menu. If not, I'll be someone would make him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Happy cruising.

By twelve you would think it could eat off a plate. :)

Edited to add link to children's menu,

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/kiddieMDR.jpg

Thank you! That's good to know. I guess my only hope is that those sandwiches are made to order...some places (I doubt the cruise would do this) have them premade, so we can't request peanut butter only. (Or heaven forbid, those uncrustables, which he will not touch - but I could eat 100 in 1 sitting...sigh!)

Ok, I have a picky eater.

So I've cruised many times and know the staff will do what they can to accommodate you.

Well ,there you go :eek:

Can you take him ONCE early in the cruise knowing he will get chicken nuggets and while there ask your waiter if he can get the sandwiches he craves on future dates? If so, you're in good shape. If not, you can plan on dining mostly in the Lido.

Roy

No one is/was pickier than my year old special needs daughter. She lived on grilled cheese breakfast, lunch, dinner for one year, then crab cakes, then chicken nuggets. She started cruising with us when she was 7- she is now 28 and is still incredibly picky. (we are talking seafood salad and cole slaw for lunch and dinner). We never had an issue with the dining staff bringing us something that wasn't on the menu. (rasberry sorbet for 7 nights, for example) The best thing that ever happened to her was eating in the dining rooms with us. She would (all of a sudden) ask for a "taste" of something on our plates that looked interesting to her. Within a few cruises she was eating off the adult menu! That being said - she still (now and then) orders off the kid's menu - but so does dh at times!

I am not sure if this would work but how about ordering these items off of the room service menu a bit earlier and let him eat in the room then maybe just have a dessert in the dining room and bring an electronic game for him to entertain himself with while you enjoy dinner.

If you've cruised a lot, you should know there's a kiddie menu that ANYONE can order off of. We used them when the kids were small, but also ordered something we thought they would like off the adult menu.

You'd be surprised what they will eat when you give them a sampling in addition to some "comfort" food, and that's perfect on a cruise.

My son was 10 on his first cruise & when the waiter saw he was having difficulty deciding what to order, he asked him what he would like to eat. Of course, he wanted a peanut butter sandwich. It was brought to him just as if he had ordered off the menu. They are very accommodating to children.

Thank you! That's good to know. I guess my only hope is that those sandwiches are made to order...some places (I doubt the cruise would do this) have them premade, so we can't request peanut butter only. (Or heaven forbid, those uncrustables, which he will not touch - but I could eat 100 in 1 sitting...sigh!)

They are made to order - my son had plain peanut butter on toasted bread. We had never toasted his bread for pb sandwiches before. Now, that's his preferred way to eat them & it's been 14 years.

My son was 10 on his first cruise & when the waiter saw he was having difficulty deciding what to order, he asked him what he would like to eat. Of course, he wanted a peanut butter sandwich. It was brought to him just as if he had ordered off the menu. They are very accommodating to children.

VERY helpful and great to know. Thanks. I've always had great service so hoping it's not a major issue to ask for a tweak!

They are made to order - my son had plain peanut butter on toasted bread. We had never toasted his bread for pb sandwiches before. Now, that's his preferred way to eat them & it's been 14 years.

lol you just described 50% of my sons diet. PB toast for Dinner, PB sandwich for lunch. lol (With chix nuggets or grilled cheese mixed in on occasion.) The other times he's eating greek yogurt and granola bars. Guess I shouldn't complain...not too unhealthy.

I would think that if you asked your wait staff for a pnut butter (only sandwich) nightly, I bet it would be waiting for him.

The cruise I took my then ten year old on ordered the same thing every night. It was funny to watch the waiter ask him every night what he would like. Same thing. Chicken breast, baked potato and the volcano for dessert. After seeing his volcano one night, I even ordered it.