bringing beverages on board

rootswings

Hello,

I have questions about bringing beverages on board -- how does this work? I have seen posts about people bringing bottled water on board, and I understand that one can bring wine onto some ships.

I guess these will seem like silly questions, but here goes ... The wine, I assume is in luggage that is checked in, or in a carry-on -- checked luggage seems risky in terms of breakage, but carry-on seems heavy. Similarly with water - do people just check in a case of water with a luggage tag? is it wrapped in some way - less concern about spillage, but the outer material (box, wrapping) doesn't seem sturdy enough to check in -- I suspect I'm overthinking this. Also, I tend to travel light, so I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my head around getting to the port with a heavy case of water (in addition to my luggage).

Should I just scrap the bringing water idea, and bring refillable water bottle instead? :rolleyes:

Edited by rootswings

Hello,

I have questions about bringing beverages on board -- how does this work? I have seen posts about people bringing bottled water on board, and I understand that one can bring wine onto some ships.

I guess these will seem like silly questions, but here goes ... The wine, I assume is in luggage that is checked in, or in a carry-on -- checked luggage seems risky in terms of breakage, but carry-on seems heavy. Similarly with water - do people just check in a case of water with a luggage tag? is it wrapped in some way - less concern about spillage, but the outer material (box, wrapping) doesn't seem sturdy enough to check in -- I suspect I'm overthinking this. Also, I tend to travel light, so I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my head around getting to the port with a heavy case of water (in addition to my luggage).

Should I just scrap the bringing water idea, and bring refillable water bottle instead? :rolleyes:

Yes you should scrap the water idea. The water onboard from the tap is as pure as bottled water. If you do bring a case of water the porters put a tag on it and it ends up outside your cabin door. Each cruise line has different rules for bringing wine onboard, most allow 2 750ml bottles per stateroom, wine must be in your carryon, any wine in your checked luggage will be confiscated and returned on the last night. happy cruising

It looks as though OP is on Celebrity.

Here is Celebrity's wine policy:

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers may bring two bottles of wine per stateroom, but only at embarkation. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, there's a corkage fee of $25 per bottle.

Unlike Carnival, they don't specify that it must be carried on, but I wouldn't recommend putting it in your checked luggage.

I can't seem to find a policy regarding non-alcoholic drinks. You might ask about that over on the Celebrity board.

Have fun on your first solo!

It looks as though OP is on Celebrity.

Here is Celebrity's wine policy:

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers may bring two bottles of wine per stateroom, but only at embarkation. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, there's a corkage fee of $25 per bottle.

Unlike Carnival, they don't specify that it must be carried on, but I wouldn't recommend putting it in your checked luggage.

I can't seem to find a policy regarding non-alcoholic drinks. You might ask about that over on the Celebrity board.

Have fun on your first solo!

Thank you!! I appreciate the information and good wishes. :) Right, carry - on for the wine - that makes sense.

Yes you should scrap the water idea. The water onboard from the tap is as pure as bottled water. If you do bring a case of water the porters put a tag on it and it ends up outside your cabin door. Each cruise line has different rules for bringing wine onboard, most allow 2 750ml bottles per stateroom, wine must be in your carryon, any wine in your checked luggage will be confiscated and returned on the last night. happy cruising

I'll bring a refillable; but also want mineral / bubbly / "specialty" water -- which I wouldn't ordinarily think about too much, but it came to mind because of the beverage package. Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your assistance.

Edited by rootswings

When we drive to the port we tend to fall into the "if it fits in the car we can bring it" mode of thinking, so the weight and volume of luggage is less of an issue.

Cunard is very lenient about carrying on wine so for a 12-night cruise we might bring 8-12 bottles of wine and champagne. I use a collapsible rolling cooler something like this:

imagebywidth.ms?img=master:PAA187.jpg&w=500&minh=300&maxh=500

The bottles stand upright in the cooler and it (just) fits through the x-ray scanners at the terminal upright. I don't check it but roll it along into the ship. Staterooms are available upon embarkation so I don't need to worry about dragging it along for long.

I've had one bottle break due to careless handling when a parking lot employee "helped" me with the luggage but my carrier is leakproof so I just had to clean up a mess inside the cooler.