Juneau Webcam New Dock Activity

Sequim88

Here is the official dock plan.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/juneau-dock-plan.jpg

This isn't new berths for more ships to dock..... just longer for longer ships

Being that it is just docks placed further from shore so bigger ships can fit, I am still concerned that the Oosterdam will be out in the bay to let the bigger ships use the new docks. After all why build a big ship dock if you want to continue to let the smaller ships use it?

After all why build a big ship dock if you want to continue to let the smaller ships use it?
Makes sense. I believe your suspicion that the largest ships will have priority at the dock is sound. Edited by bUU

There are very few days when there are more than five ships (counting the NCL ships as one since they use the same dock). Not sure if the little Sea Bird would use one of the five cruise ship docks or one of the docks near the bridge (where the ferries dock). If there are five docks and five ships, I don't see why they would make one tender.

This morning, at 3:40 AM (Juneau Time) it's quite windy and the snow is blowing. It is fun to watch the webcam in the winter and see the seasons change. We were in Juneau twice in July and the Westerdam docked at the newest floating dock. It was very nice. I've been told that we'll be at the one that's being built when we go in July 2017 on the Amsterdam for the 2-week jaunt. Can't wait!

Karen

There are very few days when there are more than five ships (counting the NCL ships as one since they use the same dock). Not sure if the little Sea Bird would use one of the five cruise ship docks or one of the docks near the bridge (where the ferries dock). If there are five docks and five ships, I don't see why they would make one tender.

I hope that's true. There was no tendering on this years Tuesday arrivals so that is hopeful. What's puzzling is the Niew Amsterdam and Solstice took turns tendering when there was only four ships in port on Mondays. Are they both big enough to not be able to simultaneously dock at the old dock?

Well, at some point the 2017 dock schedule will be finalized and we will know for sure.

Edited by Tinknock50

This morning, at 3:40 AM (Juneau Time) it's quite windy and the snow is blowing. It is fun to watch the webcam in the winter and see the seasons change. We were in Juneau twice in July and the Westerdam docked at the newest floating dock. It was very nice. I've been told that we'll be at the one that's being built when we go in July 2017 on the Amsterdam for the 2-week jaunt. Can't wait!

Karen

Hi Karen,

Where did you get the info about 2017 docking?

Good point. I don't know why I asked that because I have been to Juneau many times and that didn't seem to look like the docks.

The cam has been showing City Hall across from the Marine Park. In August we were on the Maasdam at the dock that is being reconstructed. We sat on our balcony and watched the activity at the park. Just in front of the ship was where the Taku Glacier lodge float planes take off and land during the season. I am enjoying this "city view".

I hope that's true. There was no tendering on this years Tuesday arrivals so that is hopeful. What's puzzling is the Niew Amsterdam and Solstice took turns tendering when there was only four ships in port on Mondays. Are they both big enough to not be able to simultaneously dock at the old dock?

Well, at some point the 2017 dock schedule will be finalized and we will know for sure.

The old Alaska Steam Ship Dock (the one being replaced now) only had the smaller ships this year (like Amsterdam). I think Nieuw Amsterdam and Solstice were too large.

The old Alaska Steam Ship Dock (the one being replaced now) only had the smaller ships this year (like Amsterdam). I think Nieuw Amsterdam and Solstice were too large.

Yes..... Two ships like that can fit at the new dock and neither will have to tender in the future.

Finally saw a night shot view of the work after midnight AZ time. Looks like a crane out there. Should all the work be done by 2017 cruise season?

That's what they are planning on. If I remember correctly, the original plan was to have both floating docks ready for the 2016 season but that didn't happen (budget constraints, I think).

That's what they are planning on. If I remember correctly, the original plan was to have both floating docks ready for the 2016 season but that didn't happen (budget constraints, I think).

I hope so because I am thinking they can't use the dock section that is done for one ship because of the necessary equipment to finish the second half. Then tendering probably would have to been done by one or two ships.

I guess they do have 4 months to finish and if not then, the later sailings should be set to use the new docks.

The cam is still picturing the new work. I hope it still does in daylight. Then I can get an idea if the finished half can be used.

Edited by Tinknock50

So was the equipment out there to work on the second half when the smaller ships docked, or did they stop work during the cruise season?

I don't know why I didn't notice the work and changes while I was there, but then I was on the Norwegian Jewel and we docked at AJ dock far from the new work.

So was the equipment out there to work on the second half when the smaller ships docked, or did they stop work during the cruise season?

I don't know why I didn't notice the work and changes while I was there, but then I was on the Norwegian Jewel and we docked at AJ dock far from the new work.

About ten days (maybe less) before the end of the cruise season, the equipment appeared (just about overnight). The other docks were still being used and the smaller ships that had been using the Alaska Steam Ship dock used them for the rest of the season.

Although the temperature is about 8F, it is a beautiful morning in Juneau.

9a26d6bc559eee48568bb089addbf66d.jpg

According to this article from 2014, it is on schedule....

"Seattle-based Manson Construction Company won the project with a bid of $53.74 million, nearly $2 million less than initial estimates, and will now be expected to have the project completed in time for the 2017 summer tourism season. The southern berth will be ready for the 2016 season."

The original plan was to have both docks done by the 2016 season.. "but a large concrete project in Washington state has one of the main concrete fabrication facilities in the region unable to take on more work....."

But I think the North pier will be done in time for 2017.

http://juneauempire.com/state/2014-01-26/juneau-cruise-ship-berths-cost-54m

Edited by Tinknock50

It wouldn't be a problem for me , but will be hard for my handicapped friend.

Tinknock50 - definitely in same situation as my wife is almost full time wheelchair user now. Tendering sucks. Was very glad to hear about the new dock in Sitka so hoping for a tenderless cruise.

Now if only some people would join the June 11 Roll Call. :confused:

Tinknock50 - definitely in same situation as my wife is almost full time wheelchair user now. Tendering sucks. Was very glad to hear about the new dock in Sitka so hoping for a tenderless cruise.

Now if only some people would join the June 11 Roll Call. :confused:

Our June 4th Roll Call is dead too. :(

• 4 weeks later...
I have been checking the Juneau cam occasionally. Have they been pointing it toward the new dock construction much lately?

Checked it yesterday and it was pointed towards Egan Drive and the downtown buildings, so away from the waterfront and the Alaska Steamship Dock construction

I have been checking the Juneau cam occasionally. Have they been pointing it toward the new dock construction much lately?

I check almost every day but they don't show the new dock construction that often. On nice days you can sometimes see it as the sun rises.

I check almost every day but they don't show the new dock construction that often. On nice days you can sometimes see it as the sun rises.

That would explain why I seldom catch the construction. I am usually already headed to work by the time the sun rises in Juneau.