Some questions re working with a PCC at HAL

Turtles06

I talked with our HAL PCC and here is what I found out. Let's say a PCC has an annual quota to book $2 million worth of cruises. When you initially book your cruise, and let's say your total booking came to $20,000, that gross sum gets added to their annual quota count and does not get removed if the booking is later cancelled or transferred to a TA. However, there is also a commission tied to that booking. Simply put, a HAL PCC only gets a commission on a cruise once it is fully paid for. Yes, they get a base salary of which the annual quota plays a big part in, but the commission is where the PCC makes the real money.

Now if you ask a PCC if they mind if you transfer your cruise to a TA, the politically correct answer is "no problem" as they want your future business with regards to their annual quota. However, don't kid yourself. Closing the deal and getting the commission on the complete sale is the ultimate goal.

Thanks for checking. That makes sense. Still, the PCC, while disappointed at losing the commission, would still prefer making the initial booking over not making a booking. Typically, the TA discount saves me around $500 for a seven day cruise.

I'll continue to book through the PCC and transfer later. The PCC gets credit for the booking, the TA gets her commission, and I get the discount. Win/Win/Win.

Thanks for checking. That makes sense. Still, the PCC, while disappointed at losing the commission, would still prefer making the initial booking over not making a booking. Typically, the TA discount saves me around $500 for a seven day cruise.

I'll continue to book through the PCC and transfer later. The PCC gets credit for the booking, the TA gets her commission, and I get the discount. Win/Win/Win.

That definitely would be the way to go if you transfer the booking to the TA shortly after securing it using your PCC. That way the PCC gets the initial credit for helping you book the best possible room without them having to do any extra work they wouldn't be compensated for later on, the TA gets to earn their commission if and when you make changes to the booking, and you get your discount. Sounds like a win/win/win all the way around.

That definitely would be the way to go if you transfer the booking to the TA shortly after securing it using your PCC. That way the PCC gets the initial credit for helping you book the best possible room without them having to do any extra work they wouldn't be compensated for later on, the TA gets to earn their commission if and when you make changes to the booking, and you get your discount. Sounds like a win/win/win all the way around.

I'll transfer prior to any extensive re-work. Can't imagine what that might be.

Like others as soon as I registered on the HAL site I got an email from a PCC. Which was perfect because I had the cruise itinerary already picked out. Due to circumstances of needing an accessible cabin I figured "the inside track" might be an advantage and she was able to come through the withe exact inside HC cabin we needed.

Later when HAL swapped out MS Amsterdam for MS Oosterdam due to pulling Oosterdam from the Mediterranean she came though again and moved us to the exact equivalent cabin on Oosterdam. For a couple weeks there the PCCs were all really busy moving bookings and I wonder how well that would have worked using a TA as an intermediary.

I also like the fact that she is local although no longer at HAL HQ in Seattle but working from home (most PCCs do) across Puget Sound. But still able to stay in touch with operations and knowledgeable about ships and schedules.

So far I like the experience using the PCC and plan to stay the course for this cruise. Maybe future cruises we will do the transfer route.

As the person who started this thread, I have to come back to report a little irony. The other day, I went ahead and called the PCC assigned to me; her voice mail greeting said she'd be out on Nov. 8 and 9 (yes, a month old greeting); I left her a message. I followed that up the same day with an email to her. This was several days ago. I've heard nothing from her.

Clearly not the PCC for us. Perhaps I will inquire about someone else. :)

As the person who started this thread, I have to come back to report a little irony. The other day, I went ahead and called the PCC assigned to me; her voice mail greeting said she'd be out on Nov. 8 and 9 (yes, a month old greeting); I left her a message. I followed that up the same day with an email to her. This was several days ago. I've heard nothing from her.

Clearly not the PCC for us. Perhaps I will inquire about someone else. :)

For what it's worth, I just talked with HAL customer service and they said for you to contact their Direct Reservations line at 1-877-724-5425 and tell them your issue. They will find out who your PCC is, what's the story and most importantly get you taken care of.

My PCC is wonderful and is always quick to respond. After reading some of the above positive comments about using a PCC, it makes me wonder how many of us have the same PCC. Anyone know how many PCC's HAL employs?

The lady at HAL customer service just now told me there are over 150.

For what it's worth, I just talked with HAL customer service and they said for you to contact their Direct Reservations line at 1-877-724-5425 and tell them your issue. They will find out who your PCC is, what's the story and most importantly get you taken care of.

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

Suffering through with a poor PCC or TA is a bit like suffering through a poor meal and telling the waiter that it is OK.

DW used to do both at one time. Not any more. PCC's and TA's are supposed to work for, and service the customer. Same with the meal.

If we don't like the TA, and recently we had a dilly of a TA for a destination wedding, we walk. And if the meal is not up to standard...it goes back in a hurry.

Nothing wrong with insisting on getting exactly what you pay for and what was promised/committed.....other than not enough people do it. Maybe we are too polite for our own good sometimes.

Edited by iancal