Allowed to Bring Protein Powder onboard?

HeatherLynne

I usually travel with individual portions of protein powder/nutritional shake with me because I have a lot of dietary restrictions. Sometimes I've found eating in restaurants for every meal while on long vacations to be a real problem, so these come in handy. But I know you're not allowed to bring food or drinks onboard. Does anyone know if protein powder would be allowed? I'd hate to bring them and have to through them away.

I'm really hoping there's a nice variety of foods available so it's not an issue.

Thanks for any advice!

But I know you're not allowed to bring food or drinks onboard.
You're not allowed to bring drinks on board (and protein powder is not a drink). There is actually no prohibition on embarking with food, but I doubt your protein powder would be recognized as food, either.

The only possible concern would be that it could be an illegal drug/substance, so in the unlikely case that they even notice that you have this in your bags, you just need to be able to prove what it is (so like the others said: sealed commercial packaging, and you're fine).

You're not allowed to bring drinks on board (and protein powder is not a drink). There is actually no prohibition on embarking with food, but I doubt your protein powder would be recognized as food, either.

Incorrect statement about embarking with food.

"Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard."

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The OP seemed to believe that no food was allowed, and I was only trying to say that it is not true that no food is allowed. (I was not saying that all food is allowed.)

It's funny how we keep telling the OP to seal her powder. Pretty sure she was already planning to do that :p

It's funny how we keep telling the OP to seal her powder. Pretty sure she was already planning to do that :p

I don't think OP sealing the powder would be sufficient. It has to be factory sealed.

We buy our powder both in bulk tubs and individual packets. The tubs stay at home but the packets (and protein bars) are fair game. Bring them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can, I always bring snack sizes sealed snacks to have on the ship and in port. Protein bars, crackers, trail mix, etc, perfectly fine. It's just the drinks they prohibit, probably because they want to sell you bottled water and soda, but since the basic food is all included, no lost profit to them if you bring your own on [emoji6]. I do recall some poster mentioning cheese was prohibited, like the cheese wheels sealed with wax you can buy in st Martin. Haven't tried or experienced that myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 8 months later...

Has anyone asked to have their protein powder mixed either in the dining room or buffet? I'm on Emerald Princess in 10 days from now. Not relishing idea of mixing around with a spoon, but will do if needed. Also, it looks like getting soy milk will be no problem, but if any Emerald cruisers have insight, I'd welcome.

Has anyone asked to have their protein powder mixed either in the dining room or buffet? I'm on Emerald Princess in 10 days from now. Not relishing idea of mixing around with a spoon, but will do if needed. Also, it looks like getting soy milk will be no problem, but if any Emerald cruisers have insight, I'd welcome.

This is the NCL forum. ;p

I never asked for anyone to mix my protein powder. Not sure they would do that. I would either bring a shaker bottle and mix it yourself or in a pinch, I usually just use a regular half-full water bottle and give it a good shake. I don't mind drinking my protein with just water, so it works for me. Of course, you could always add in other liquid, but if you're going to do that, a shaker bottle is probably the easiest way to go.

I wouldn't expect the employees to mix it if that's what you are asking? How do you normally drink it? If it's mixed in with a smoothie that would be hard to re-create but if you normally just mix with the soy milk then get one of those shaker cups. A lot of people I work with mix powder drinks at work and use them.

09ea2bb931dc456de6e9d8e7cb63bde2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums