Are Port charges included ?

gibsontrio

I'm leaving on a Carnival cruise in 2 weeks and I was wondering ... did I pay my port charges already , or will I be charged that along with my tips ? I see govt fees and tax on my bill , but nothing that says port charge (4 day cruise if it matters )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Port Charges" and "Government Taxes and Fees" are two different items.

The term "Port Charges" is travel agent-speak for the non-commissionable portion of the cruise fare. Now if you booked directly with the cruise line they are invisible to you.

But if you booked through a travel agent many of them back out the Port Charges from the quoted cruise fare and add them back to the bottom line somewhere near the bottom of the invoice.

But it really doesn't matter in your case. Had you not paid the entire fare--including "port charges"--and the government taxes and fees you would not have been able to check in and print your boarding passes. So just go and enjoy your cruise.

The term "Port Charges" is travel agent-speak for the non-commissionable portion of the cruise fare. Now if you booked directly with the cruise line they are invisible to you.

But if you booked through a travel agent many of them back out the Port Charges from the quoted cruise fare and add them back to the bottom line somewhere near the bottom of the invoice.

But it really doesn't matter in your case. Had you not paid the entire fare--including "port charges"--and the government taxes and fees you would not have been able to check in and print your boarding passes. So just go and enjoy your cruise.

Just looked at our upcoming booking because final payment is due in a couple of days. It only has "Government taxes and fees". No "port charges". We didn't book with the cruise line direct.

Are you saying a travel agent gets a commission on government taxes and fees, but not port charges? Or vice versa? Doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Just looked at our upcoming booking because final payment is due in a couple of days. It only has "Government taxes and fees". No "port charges". We didn't book with the cruise line direct.

Are you saying a travel agent gets a commission on government taxes and fees, but not port charges? Or vice versa? Doesn't sound right to me.

The TA only gets comm. on the cruise fare , minus the port charges . No comm. on the gov't taxes.

I'm leaving on a Carnival cruise in 2 weeks and I was wondering ... did I pay my port charges already , or will I be charged that along with my tips ? I see govt fees and tax on my bill , but nothing that says port charge (4 day cruise if it matters )

When I access carnival.com, and click on Manage My Booking, I can see my cruise details, including my billing. It shows Cruise Charges, which are broken down into "Cruise Rate" and "Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses". This would seem to indicate port charges are included in the lump sum of taxes etc. All of these are charged at the same time, and your payments would be made on the total.

Okay, here's my take on this, and fishywood is correct. If you book with the cruise line, you see the fare, and the "taxes and fees".

When a TA gets a fare from the cruise line, they see: commissionable fare, non-commissionable fare (NCF), and "taxes and fees". What they tell the consumer is: fare (the commissionable part, which allows them to advertise a much lower fare), "port charges" (the NCF), and "taxes and fees".

The TA's don't like the NCF structure, since it is basically that the cruise line says; "out of the total fare, we will only pay you a commission on the following percentage", and there is no legal, moral, or ethical foundation for whatever percentage the cruise line decides on.

Many TA's do not break out the NCF as "port charges", they just put it back in as their advertised fare. Those TA's that have the bargain prices, look closely at the "port charges", and if you add those back to their advertised fares, you typically come in very close to the cruise line's advertised fare.

Calling them "port charges" implies that it is something outside the TA's control, and "everyone pays it".

Stop the worry .

Your final payment included both the port charge and the tax's as

it does for all cruise bookings .

Sent from my iPad using Forums