recipe

alidor

Is it possible to get a recipe from Oceania? We were on them recently and had a sweet Thai watermelon salad that was incredibly outstanding. Would love to get the recipe for it.

Thank you.

It is an incredible salad and so I did a Google search "Red Ginger Recipe Watermelon Duck Confit Salad" It's a bit more complicated than I thought so I haven't tried making it. I just keep booking cruises so I can enjoy it on board. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it possible to get a recipe from Oceania? We were on them recently and had a sweet Thai watermelon salad that was incredibly outstanding. Would love to get the recipe for it.

Thank you.

We took the cooking class offered on Marina, "Oceania Favorites Red Ginger" and we made the watermelon & duck confit salad. I checked my notes and the recipe sheet that Chef Kelly made and Chef Curtis Di Fede taught us. The sweet fish sauce ingredients are:

3/4 cup palm sugar, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup water

1/2 large shallot coarsely chopped

1 stalk lemon grass bulb portion only, coarsely chopped

1 kaffir lime leaf

1/2 inch piece galangal, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce (Nukmam)

2 to 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate

Watermelon & duck salad ingredients are:

Canola oil, for frying the nuts and the legs

1/2 cup raw cashew nuts

Kosher salt

6 confit duck legs, fried and shredded

2 to 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce

6 cups 1 inch cubes of seedless watermelon

1/2 cup Thai basil or sweet basil

1/2 cup mint leaves

1/2 cup cilantro leaves

1/3 cup thinly sliced shallot

Yup, it is ingredient heavy with stuff not found everywhere. So enjoy it on board and take the class when it is offered to learn the detailed techniques.

Except the one I had didn't have duck. It actually seemed like a simple salad with no duck. I've tried also to look it up online and didn't find anything. It was served one day in the Terrace Cafe.

Except the one I had didn't have duck. It actually seemed like a simple salad with no duck. I've tried also to look it up online and didn't find anything. It was served one day in the Terrace Cafe.

They may have since that time begin to serve it without the Duck Confit. That way vegetarians and squeamish folks would order it and they would save the expense of buying and cooking the duck legs.

As you can see the sauce, or salad dressing is complicated but would make almost anything taste wonderful. With the crispy sweetness of the fried duck legs and skin added it is really very tasty.

I love that salad. My own easy version includes shredded cooked chicken, green onion, watermelon, cashews and Trader Joe's Ginger Soy Vinaigrette dressing with a dash of hot sauce.

Close enough when I need a fix!

How do I ask the chef for the recipe? Where do I write to?

If you are looking for the Watermelon Duck Salad, it was published several years ago in the Oceania Blog/newsletter:

Red Ginger Recipe: Watermelon & Duck Confit Salad

Spicy-duck-watermelon

This salad has become one of the true favorites of Red Ginger on board Marina & Riviera. Duck confit is a traditional ingredient in French cassoulet, but we pair it here with watermelon for a fresh and savory salad that is a real crowd pleaser. The crisp texture and sweetness of watermelon perfectly balance the chewy richness of duck confit.

{ serves 6 }

SWEET FISH SAUCE INGREDIENTS (or buy it from oriental Mkt optional)

¾ cup palm sugar, coarsely chopped

¼ cup water

½ large shallot, coarsely chopped

1 lemongrass stalk, bulb portion only, coarsely chopped

1 kaffir lime leaf

½-inch piece galangal, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 to 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate

DUCK AND WATERMELON SALAD INGREDIENTS

Canola oil, for frying

½ cup raw cashew nutshell

Kosher salt

6 confit duck legs

2 to 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce

6 cups 1-inch-cube seedless watermelon

½ cup Thai basil or sweet basil leaves

½ cup mint leaves

½ cup cilantro leaves

1/3 cup thinly sliced shallot

FOR THE SAUCE: In a medium saucepan, combine the palm sugar and water, place over medium heat, and heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted – about 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat. Stir in the shallot, lemongrass, lime leaf and galangal and let sit at room temperature to cool and to infuse the flavors for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight.

Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl. Discard the solids. Add 1 tablespoon each of the fish sauce and tamarind, mixing well. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional fish sauce and tamarind if needed. Set the sauce aside at room temperature.

FOR THE SALAD: Pour 4 inches of canola oil into a large, deep saucepan and heat to 325°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Line a small plate with paper towels for draining the cashews and line a larger plate for draining the duck. Add the cashews to the hot oil and fry until crisp, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt while hot.

Increase the temperature of the oil to 350°F. Add 2 duck legs to the hot oil and fry, turning to brown on all sides, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to the towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining duck legs in two batches.

When the duck legs are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin from each leg in as large a piece as possible. Cut the skin into strips and set aside. Bone the legs and shred the meat into a bowl. Season to taste with the hoisin sauce.

In a separate bowl, combine the watermelon, basil, mint, and cilantro. Add the duck meat, duck skin, cashews, and shallot. Toss with enough of the sweet fish sauce to coat lightly. You may not need all of the sauce.

TO SERVE: Divide the salad among individual serving plates or bowls

It is NOT the duck and watermelon salad I'm looking for. This was served in the Terrace Café and had NO duck. Maybe it was the same recipe, without the duck. I don't know.