December Winter EB crossing log

BlueRiband

Corkscrewing. The experience mariner among my table mates noted that QM2's bow was making a "corkscrew" motion as she rode the swells earlier today. He should know as he had witnessed it on the SSUS only there is was much more pronounced due to her speed.

The weather conditions have improved but we still have some rocking and rolling of the ship. As I write this down in Connexions the ship motion and flexing can be heard and felt.

I overheard a comment that self-service laundry is a blood sport. With the additional cabins it surely means more demand and no increase in supply. Decks 9 and 12 never had laundries and deck 13 does not either. I believe that the forward inside area of deck 13 is new crew quarters as these doors are marked "private".

I've not noticed vastly improved internet speeds and logging into a financial site took long even on one of the hardwired machines down here. There are four chairs along the wall to the service desk, which indicates that crew member never has a dull moment.

Monday Evening, 5th sea day

Heavy cloud cover

Weather has improved and warmed considerably. We have moderate seas but not the swells that we had encountered yesterday. Rain came in patches, and anybody on deck that wore only shirt sleeves didn’t stay out long.

One area that is really cold is the deck 12 Pavilion Pool. Nobody lounges in swim attire. For some reason the doors to the hall are kept open and there is a constant breeze. If they were shut the pool area would probably be a lot warmer. I can’t think of a reason why it should be kept to cold especially when the weather is much too cold to use the outdoor pools.

A table mate, Mr. Red Card, managed to get a spot on the behind the scenes tour. It started on the bridge due to the earlier sunset at this time of the year. It ended with a tour of the Royal Court Theatre back stage. There is a new video projected scenery screen. (It was used for the new production Rhythm of the Night.) And performers have a requirement beyond performance standards: they must fit the costumes as the ship can only carry a limited number.

This being the last formal night, Britannia had the traditional parade of the chefs. I’d not seen it before because it’s not done in the Grills. We couldn’t miss it as they paraded through out section of BC back to the kitchen. I’ve learned to consider the corridor between the D elevators and the BC Maitre D’ a two lane highway since it’s the main traffic path from the galley.

As I stroll around the Promenade deck in the late evening the wind has died down and the weather is much warmer. The moon tries to poke through the clouds but can barely shine on the surface of the ocean. No ships in sight anywhere on the horizon.

This is really the last day that passengers are really into the ship routine as tomorrow everyone will be occupied with whatever needs to be done upon reaching Southampton.

I have some good news about the internet – it’s now available until Noon on disembarkation day. I’ll never understand why it had been killed at midnight. It made finalization of travel arrangements difficult and demand unnecessarily clogged up the traffic in the late evening hours.

Thanks again for your comments, Blue. Good news about the internet remaining until Noon disembarkation. You are so right that turning it off the night before made travel arrangements difficult. I guess that Cunard got tired of all of the complaints, including mine. We board tomorrow and very much looking forward to it all, especially lounging in the Chart Room listening to good music. Sail on!

Thanks again for your comments, Blue. Good news about the internet remaining until Noon disembarkation. You are so right that turning it off the night before made travel arrangements difficult. I guess that Cunard got tired of all of the complaints, including mine. We board tomorrow and very much looking forward to it all, especially lounging in the Chart Room listening to good music. Sail on!

Another recent improvement l noticed on top of the others mentioned is the short form log in, previously you had the laborious task of entering stateroom number, d.o.b., name, card number and so on every time you logged on but now only a self selected login name and password is needed after initial registration.

M-AR

Wednesday, 6th and last sea day

Partly sunny, slight sea state

Today has been by far the best day weather-wise. We had some patches of sun during the daylight hours and a slight sea state.

Stephen Payne’s lecture was packed. I’ve heard it before and he didn’t introduce any new material. However the shipyard manager for Chantiers de l'Atlantique was present – neither know that the other was to be on board. Payne invited the manager on stage as a gesture to the team effort that was needed to produce QM2: on time, under budget, and 100% complete. He barely mentioned the refit. He said that QE2 had major refits in her first two years of service whereas QM2 was in service for 12 years which we called a tribute to her design team.

There is traditionally a gathering of the Insights Speakers at 4:30 in the Chart Room on the last day. Disappointingly, Payne wasn’t there. He had mentioned at the end of his talk that he would be around in the afternoon but I didn’t seek him out as I had expected to be at the Chart Room gathering. It would have been an opportunity to get in updated portrait for his Wikipedia biography. (I write and update it so I get credit or blame for it depending on the viewpoint.) Of course I would have asked him about his impression, and I’m sure he has already formulated a diplomatic response.

I’m to change staterooms so some of my stuff has to be packed and ready for the staff to move during my shore excursion. One glitch – last night I came back from dinner and found the invitation to the Senior Officer’s Party – which took place earlier that evening. The stateroom I just had - 12069 - was the one I had occupied that last time I had been on board!

Today the decks were re-opened and it’s not nearly as cold as it was on Friday night. As I wrote this at night we have two ships off our starboard side. One way on the horizon, and another close that is keeping pace with us. As we are currently at about 22 knots I’m curious as to what merchant ship would have that kind of service speed. MarineTraffic AIS doesn’t show up out here. We’re starting to get some rocking but by this time the vast majority will have turned in for the night and won’t be aware of it.

Really enjoying your posts BR. As far as ships speeds, the newer container ships can approach 30 knots. I also like Marine Traffic AIS and it works world wide if you are paying the $800/month subscription for the satellite service. No, not me, I am a free service lurker also but it is out there for those in the business. Keep up the good work and don't eat too much..:eek::D:D

The last dinner on board is always bittersweet. We were fortunate to have a great table and passed many long and entertaining meals together. Bags are out in the halls, a stark reminder that all bod things must come to an end.

According to the program for tomorrow, Kevin Oprey comes on as master in Southampton.

The last dinner on board is always bittersweet. We were fortunate to have a great table and passed many long and entertaining meals together. Bags are out in the halls, a stark reminder that all bod things must come to an end.

According to the program for tomorrow, Kevin Oprey comes on as master in Southampton.[/QUOTE]

Thanks B.R., that solves one mystery...I wondered why the Cunard e-card referred to Captain Kevin Oprey as "Master of the QM2" when at the time the card was posted, Captain Wells was Master.

I hope the transition to your new cabin went smoothly, and that the sea is not too angry tonight - just a bit of gentle rocking, enough to let you know you are at sea :) Regards, -S.

According to the program for tomorrow, Kevin Oprey comes on as master in Southampton.

Welcome back to Southampton.

As I announced on 18th November...

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51579812#post51579812

Comment #14

Edited by Solent Richard

Saturday, Second sea day afternoon

...As I write in mid-afternoon the cloud cover is growing by the minute. The ship can definitely be felt moving in the moderate sea state. It’s really heard near Illuminations as the foyer chandeliers rattle with the ship motion. Although there’s not enough rattling and rolling to suit those who feel cheated if they don’t get some on a crossing. But the voyage is still young.

Sigh. I can exactly picture and feel what you're describing. (And good for you to grab one of those seats) Eagerly anticipating our first RT TA in May.

Thank you for not only these logs, but also for your enthusiastic and helpful advice here.

Edited by MarkBearSF