Captain Oprey

roscoe39

Am I having a senior moment? I thought that I had read on here in the last week that someone who was on board the QM2 at the time had been at an announcement that Captain Oprey was retiring.

I can't seem to find that post even after trolling for days through the posts...

Am I completely bonkers...as some would claim? or was that thread removed?

I don't remember seeing it, could you have seen it somewhere else ?

I must have, I looked at another site but couldn't see it there either. Next time ill cut and paste something as interesting as that....

ps...good moderating by the way hattie...doing a great job...

Kevin Oprey seems too young to be calling it a career. I had heard a rumor that it was Christopher Wells who was going to retire. (Wells has retired from the RNR but can still fly the Blue Ensign.) Captain Oprey went on leave when the ship was in dry dock but no announcement was made. However was also present for the on board tours and dock side reception at the Southampton Remastering send off. (If he does retire he'll have more time to work on his fastball. Baseball players get more for their autographs than Cunard captains.:D)

By now Captain Wells's time is up so there will soon be a change when the ship arrives in Southampton.

Edited by BlueRiband

Kevin Oprey seems too young to be calling it a career. I had heard a rumor that it was Christopher Wells who was going to retire. (Wells has retired from the RNR but can still fly the Blue Ensign.) Captain Oprey went on leave when the ship was in dry dock but no announcement was made. However was also present for the on board tours and dock side reception at the Southampton Remastering send off. (If he does retire he'll have more time to work on his fastball. Baseball players get more for their autographs than Cunard captains.:D)

By now Captain Wells's time is up so there will soon be a change when the ship arrives in Southampton.

hmmm I wonder when that announcement was made about the RNR? I read the post on 27 August and apparently the announcement had been made the night before on board, I wonder if the poster misunderstood what the announcement was and posted here later removing it when they discovered their mistake?

I know I'm a crystal short of a chandelier but.......

:)Speaking of having more time to work on his fastball...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwK98r5dHGs

:)Speaking of having more time to work on his fastball...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwK98r5dHGs
Captain Oprey needs more practice on his fastball. But then again when I was little I threw it much more worse than Captain Oprey. I guess that's why I never did try for the high school baseball team because I know that I would get cut from the team :eek: Regards,Jerry

• 2 months later...

According to the timelines he gave in the Maritime Matters article Kevin Oprey is not as young as he looks - perhaps because he has all his hair.:D (Social rule #1 - never tease a woman about her weight and never tease a man about his hairline!)

More recently a Captain Charlie Carr was named as a Cunard Captain - he was with P&O and on Pacific Pearl. That ship was built in 1988 so she doesn't have pods - relatively new technology when QM2 was designed. I don't have his entire background but I'd think they would chose somebody who had some experience with pods.

Captain Oprey needs more practice on his fastball. But then again when I was little I threw it much more worse than Captain Oprey. I guess that's why I never did try for the high school baseball team because I know that I would get cut from the team :eek: Regards,Jerry

Think Captain Kevin would be happier showing his off spin bowling on the cricket pitch...

I'm sorry to hear that Captain Oprey is retiring. He was captain on my first QM2 voyage, and was kind enough to take the time to answer all of my questions during the "Behind the Scenes" tour.

Does anyone know who will be captain for the December 22 - January 3 Christmas / New Years Caribbean cruise? Captain Wells was on duty for that voyage last year.

I hope Captain Kevin will enjoy his retirement, he will be missed on QM2!

Roland787

Looks like the rumor the OP heard is true. According to an October review in Maritime Matters Captain Oprey is to sign off for good at the end of QM2's 2017 world voyage. Scroll down to near the end of the article here.

Interesting when maritime matters states..."Captain Oprey actually signed off at the end of our crossing but will be returning to the helm of the QM2 when she begins her world cruise next year"

I bumped into him just two hours ago, walking through Lee on the Solent with his wife Cheryl, and he informed me that he was back on board for the Christmas Cruise departing Southampton 15 December.

You heard it here first.

I'm sorry to hear that Captain Oprey is retiring. He was captain on my first QM2 voyage, and was kind enough to take the time to answer all of my questions during the "Behind the Scenes" tour.

Does anyone know who will be captain for the December 22 - January 3 Christmas / New Years Caribbean cruise? Captain Wells was on duty for that voyage last year.

I hope Captain Kevin will enjoy his retirement, he will be missed on QM2!

Roland787

I believe I too was on that voyage...

11373589123_a065ff51be_z.jpg

...and the review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/03/21/queen-mary-2-grand-new-england-and-canadian-wonders-cruise/

Am I having a senior moment? I thought that I had read on here in the last week that someone who was on board the QM2 at the time had been at an announcement that Captain Oprey was retiring.

I can't seem to find that post even after trolling for days through the posts...

Am I completely bonkers...as some would claim? or was that thread removed?

It was in September 2016 With The National Symphony Orchestra with Anthony Inglis

That Captain Oprey stated on board that it would be his last voyage performing with them.

Edited by Pennbank

Interesting when maritime matters states..."Captain Oprey actually signed off at the end of our crossing but will be returning to the helm of the QM2 when she begins her world cruise next year"

I bumped into him just two hours ago, walking through Lee on the Solent with his wife Cheryl, and he informed me that he was back on board for the Christmas Cruise departing Southampton 15 December.

You heard it here first.

Does anybody know who will be Captain for the QE World Cruise and his/her Number 2?