New Dining Room Menus

ksmaxey

So HAL still offers Sushi for free? Sadly main competitor Celebrity does not offer it anymore unless you are willing to pay extra for it, what I wouldn't do at all.

Did HAL offer it for dinner @lido cafe?

That's an interesting question. I noticed it on the Lido lunch menu in the Asian Corner, but that doesn't seem to exist at dinner, at least not on the menu.

I'm very upset about Celebrity getting rid of free sushi. I used to go there every night either before or after dinner. It wasn't the greatest, but I never got sick from eating it. I haven't been on Celebrity since they made the change but will be next August. That's why I was pleased to see that HAL had it.

You sound like my kind of foodie....I would have had to change tables if I sat with others who were vocally disgusted at my dining choices. That's partly the reason why I've given up on sitting with strangers in the dining room. I don't need your opinions on my plate if you haven't paid for my cruise.

Right on, Cruisegoer!

Disclaimer: The following is a diatribe about my thoughts on food preferences. You’ve been warned :).

Concerning folks being grossed out because an individual at their table is eating “cat food” or other items which wouldn’t cause a European to blink: If I’d brought aboard a mess of chitlins and hog maws, taken them to the MDR, put them on my plate and proceeded to shovel them in – I could understand my tablemates being taken aback. But all of the items that I mentioned were offered on the menu. It’s not as though I requested the galley to special-order some animal innards or raw beef just for me.

I think that one of the charms of HAL is the uniquely international nature of its menu offerings. I don’t sail other lines but would expect their menu choices to be more in line with what many Americans consider mainstream edibles (well, perhaps Cunard is an exception). Chef Rudi and his crew are willing to go to the expense of provisioning and the effort of preparing what some folks consider to be distasteful menu items. I really fear that if not enough people order these items, HAL may someday decide to forgo the expense and effort that it takes to be able to offer them at all.

Incidentally, that particular couple at my table generally ordered only prime rib when on the menu or the steak or salmon from the “Always Available” section of the menu. I guess that some folks are of the opinion that “if mommy didn’t cook it, it’s not good to eat”. And that’s OK. I don’t care what other people eat – nor do I EVER comment about it at the table – but I feel that it’s their loss if they are unwilling to try something new.

'Nuff said

Wait so they actually have a planned 5 course VEGAN menu now instead of that list that you had to pre-order? Great news so my Vegan friend doesn't starve on the first night of our Eurodam cruise!

if you haven't already done so, check out the earlier link to the website with menus. Each day has the vegan menu. I was very impressed.

There is sushi almost every day in the Lido Market's Asian Station. The only day I did not see Sushi was the Indonesian day. I found it fresh and not chilled. But due to the buffet venue, the selections are typically limited to 3 types of rolls.

The new menus have the vegan, chef suggestion, heathy choice each night. Still there is beef, pasta and a seafood most nights. The soup and salad courses is more limited, with Ceasar salad and French onion soup the mainstays (however there area salad entrees). My only gripe is that when cruising, I like to have lobster, duck and lamb during the voyage and these offerings are usually offered together on gala nights only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

I would not be interested in more potato items.

I am a meat eater.

I agree a bout not wanting lots of potatoes. I don't want rice either... but I do like pasta. :)

I want great fresh veggies and better fish than some ofthe over breaded, mush I have had on HAL. Fish and meat are more pricey than many vegggies.

Edited by sail7seas

I agree a bout not wanting lots of potatoes. I don't want rice either... but I do like pasta. :)

I want great fresh veggies and better fish than some ofthe over breaded, mush I have had on HAL. Fish and meat are more pricey than many vegggies.

On our last 4 cruises over the last 3 years (and even before on the Prinsendam), we found the fish to be very good. Surprisingly good and innovatively prepared. You might be pleasantly surprised when you return to HAL ;)

On our last 4 cruises over the last 3 years (and even before on the Prinsendam), we found the fish to be very good. Surprisingly good and innovatively prepared. You might be pleasantly surprised when you return to HAL ;)

Just back from Zuiderdam cruise. Fish surprisingly good and well prepared with little, if any, breading. Exception was of course "fish and chips" served twice at lunch on 11 day cruise. Only one night was a light breading used that I recall. We no longer do MDR as just takes too long for us. We do Lido or room service or specialty restaurant. Always surprises me how fresh tasting and good the fish is on Lido. I NEVER get fish in a buffet type setting as generally disgusting, so to find it so nicely prepared and tasty in the Lido is appreciated by me. I was born/raised in FL and ate hours old fish caught by my dad most of my childhood. Now back to FL and appreciating the fresh seafood again. When lived in Colorado seldom ate fish as always seemed "old" tasting to me - especially the "fresh" fish offered there(never tasted fresh to me). And not a salmon fan either which is popular there.

Sushi only at lunch in Lido in Asian section. I am no sushi expert by any means, but I do think it is pretty good and ate it several times on our cruise.

MAYH

On our last 4 cruises over the last 3 years (and even before on the Prinsendam), we found the fish to be very good. Surprisingly good and innovatively prepared(WHICH type fisah IS SO GOOD/ If you are GOING TO MAKE SUCH A STATWEMENT THAN WHY NOT ACUTALly provide real information?You might be pleasantly surprised when you return to HAL ;)
You've ACTUally saidsnothing here. What is your message about fish?, wHIch wreeew so well prepareed and of such high quali mybeww you likw maHI, Mahi, I do not. I like SALMON, HADDOCk halibut, sole , other mild gRouper, tuna, iF YOU DON'T IDENTIRFY what fish you think so good, what informa tion are you offering? None.

Your failing atTempts at being subtle are often

Very amusing. Keep tryiing. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Our most recent cruise was Veendam Bermuda cruise in '15...health issues prevented cruising last winter...but, as I recall, we enjoyed the white fish and the salmon on the Veendam. Also, the cold water lobster in recent years. Being a New Englander, I was never a fan of the warm water lobster.

I, for one, was happy when HAL instituted the sustainable seafood policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAYH You've ACTUally saidsnothing here. What is your message about fish?, wHIch wreeew so well prepareed and of such high quali mybeww you likw maHI, Mahi, I do not. I like SALMON, HADDOCk halibut, sole , other mild gRouper, tuna, iF YOU DON'T IDENTIRFY what fish you think so good, what informa tion are you offering? None.

Your failing atTempts at being subtle are often

Very amusing. Keep tryiing. :D

Kazu's message about the fish is that she found it surprisingly good and innovatively prepared. There was nothing in that statement to rouse such ire in anyone. I don't understand the angry reply. :confused:

You reminded me of a woman who ordered toast for breakfast "completely burnt" on our recent Westerdam cruise. She yelled it out for everyone to hear so I don't mind repeating it on this forum.

I guess it takes all types....

igraf

Well, I guess we can't eat together on our upcoming Zaandam cruise :):):). <just kidding, only kidding>

Seriously, a couple at our fixed seating table on Maasdam was grossed out by me nearly every night. I'm an "offal" eater.....so when it was on the menu, I ordered the liver, carpaccio, oxtails, sweetbreads, etc, in the MDR. Glad they didn't see me (and some friends) eating the beef tartare in the PG. And I can't stand the smell or taste of cooked fish. Luckily, I live in the Seattle area and have great sushi at least once a week.