Wine

bigmjh

Is wine available to purchase by the bottle rather than by the glass in the MDR? I saw a menu for a wine packages that required the purchase of 7 bottles at $49.50/bottle. If single bottles are available ... how is the pricing? :confused: Anyone have a wine list with prices by the bottle?

Yes, you can order a single bottle off the menu. Not cheap, of course, anymore than it is in any land-based restaurant. But you can find those that are less expensive than the 7-bottle price. Or MORE expensive.

I usually order a bottle for dinner, they keep any excess for me for the next meal. (I don't drink the entire bottle because I'm drinking it alone!)

The price list is here someplace ...

Mura

of course

The menu of wine by the bottle could change from cruise to cruise

There are sample menus on the website just click on the link for the restaurant you will be dining in then the wine list

It may not be current but it gives you an idea

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/polo-grill/

You can also take wine to the dining venues & pay the corkage fee $25 per bottle if you want to bring your favourite kind with you when you board

Edited by LHT28

Is wine available to purchase by the bottle rather than by the glass in the MDR? I saw a menu for a wine packages that required the purchase of 7 bottles at $49.50/bottle. If single bottles are available ... how is the pricing? :confused: Anyone have a wine list with prices by the bottle?

How is it possible that you are unaware of this, when your signature indicates that you've already sailed for 59 days with Oceania?

If this is a fishing expedition, it's the oddest one that I've ever read.

How is it possible that you are unaware of this, when your signature indicates that you've already sailed for 59 days with Oceania?

If this is a fishing expedition, it's the oddest one that I've ever read.

In defense of the OP, I believe looking back through their posts, it's been many many years since they have been on O, and may not have the same beverage likes and dislikes they had previously. Just re-reading through the old posts, I believe they wrote a review for a 30+ day cruise on the Regatta in 2012.

How is it possible that you are unaware of this, when your signature indicates that you've already sailed for 59 days with Oceania? ...

Last time we sailed on O I was not much of a wine drinker ... a single glass at dinner would be fine. Now, two ... maybe three if it's a long "chatty" dinner. And, I do recall purchasing a single bottle ... but don't remember the bottle "packages".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It seems to me that this current 7-bottle option was NOT in existence the last time you were on Oceania (assuming 2012 is correct). There used to be an option at boarding time (for perhaps 2-3 days) where you could select bottles at various prices -- I don't recall a minimum bottle requirement but if there was one, it definitely was NOT 7 bottles. It was replaced by the current 7-bottle requirement a few years ago. I bought 3-4 bottles under that system on one cruise, I'm not sure which one, but it might have been in 2013 or 2014. Possibly earlier ...

Mura

I don't know if they are still doing this, and it's not something you can rely on as it wasn't done on every cruise, but they would have a "Wine bazaar" or sale on occasion. Usually just for an a few hours in an afternoon or two.

The purpose was to clear out wine that they were long on, i.e. either had ordered too much or wasn't selling well, or wine they were very short on, only had a few bottles left and would not be restocking in the near future to want to clear it out of inventory.

They would set up a display on a table in the hallway by Terrace Café or in the room used for the La Reserve dinners.

The discount would vary I'm guessing based on their original markup and/or how badly they wanted to clear it out. Note the 18% gratuity will be added to the price the same as if you purchase the wine in one of the dining venues.

So if you're not planning on purchasing a package and just buy a bottle as you go you might want to keep your eye out in the daily newsletter for an announcement of a sale.

The wine bazaars - usually on a sea day during a long cruise - are sadly a thing of the past. As are the discounted purchases available on the first couple of days of every cruise.

Many official explanations for this, all unsatisfactory. The truth is that the 7 bottle package contains wines that are grossly overpriced and therefore the profit margin very, very high.

I agree. While I did take advantage of the older program that was available the first day or two of the cruise (to a limited extent!) I wouldn't use the current program. I will either buy by the bottle in the restaurant OR pay the corkage fee on wine I have brought on board. Seven bottles at that price is not something I want to do, especially on a shorter cruise.

On a 21 day cruise I might well go through 7 bottles ... but it's highly unlikely that I would do so on a cruise of 14 days or less. And those wines are probably NOT ones I'd want to take home, given the comments that I've read about their quality and price points.

Mura