Pacific Eden overnight stay at White Bay

Many of the larger ports (Nassau and Cozumel) are nothing but strip malls in the sun. They are fun to walk around (well, Cozumel but not Nassau IMHO), but very touristy. Think of touristy type restaurants (Margartiaville and Hard Rock Cafe), lots of shops like that (Del Sol, Cariloha, Diamonds International).

That's a shame. At the moment the South Pacific ports are still relatively unspoilt and the locals are very welcoming.

Actually I think some people are quite disappointed with the bigger towns like Noumea and Suva, I think they expect glitzy malls and beach resorts, and what they get is real, working towns that only partially cater to tourists.

That's a shame. At the moment the South Pacific ports are still relatively unspoilt and the locals are very welcoming.

Actually I think some people are quite disappointed with the bigger towns like Noumea and Suva, I think they expect glitzy malls and beach resorts, and what they get is real, working towns that only partially cater to tourists.

Agreed, it is another catch 22, develop the port so that it can cater for the ship loads of tourists but then that detracts from the humble unspoilt island naivety that attracts the tourists in the first place.

real, working towns that only partially cater to tourists.

And that is EXACTLY why I like the Canada / New England cruises, and going to Bermuda. While Bermuda is more tourist driven, the locals are not at all in your face. I have been physically grabbed by locals in Nassau who were attempting to sell me something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And that is EXACTLY why I like the Canada / New England cruises, and going to Bermuda. While Bermuda is more tourist driven, the locals are not at all in your face. I have been physically grabbed by locals in Nassau who were attempting to sell me something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I dislike that type of hard sell as well, the desperation of trying to get the sale, even when you are not interested.

Sounds like you might like cruising our part of the world, UPNYGuy, but it might be a good idea to head on down this way soon, before too many of the big cruise ships ruin it. ;)

Sounds like you might like cruising our part of the world, UPNYGuy, but it might be a good idea to head on down this way soon, before too many of the big cruise ships ruin it. ;)

I do enjoy some bigger ships too (Norwegian Breakaway and Getaway are some of my favorites, and they are megaships), but generally speaking, I do prefer midsize vessels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My point was that the islands are not likely to be developed like the Caribbean islands any time soon.:D

As it was in reply to "the big ships ruining it", it sounded like you were referring to the ships doing that.

We don't have the same size tourist market visiting our islands, nor are they as big, so they wouldn't get that level of development.