Euros

pso418

Keep in mind that depending on the countries you are visiting, you might need several currencies. In the past few years we've visited six Euro countries and used three currencies between them.

We bank with B of A and typically buy $1000 USD worth of the currency we will need to avoid service charges. We rely on ATM's to get more if needed. Leftover Euros and Pounds (and Canadian currency) we held onto for the next trip. We don't usually end up with more than a few hundred dollars worth, not worth exchanging it.

We only use ATM's attached to banks--and stick with the major ones and only when they are open.

We always have at least 200 Euros each when we arrive from the US. For emergencies, immediate pocket money and then we use ATM machines affiliated with Banks when we need more cash. Remember you have a limit to how much you can withdraw from the ATM in a 24 hr time frame. We also have ATM cards from 2 different banks in case there is a problem with one card or bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

As an ex Scotiabank employee I think you've been very lucky. It's not the norm

Ex RBC'er retired too :). Never had a problem. If the machine doles out less money - two options - look for another one, or just make several withdrawals if you card limit permits it ;)

When going on a European cruise where do you get your euros? Wondering if better to at my bank, airport, or try to withdrawal from an ATM? Just wondering what the best solution is. Was never a problem on Caribbean cruises as they all take dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've used all of the above. We like to hit the ground running, so we have always bought some Euros from our bank, before we head over. 'Pocket Change,' At least. Bank exchange rates aren't good. When you land, hit an ATM. We've done the airport while on layover, but you might get a better rate elsewhere.

Well, we take some euros with us, but I do rely on ATM's. I definitely use a bank ATM for security.

My card lets me take up to $2500 Canadian a day so it is a non issue.

If your card does not allow enough of a withdrawal, it might be worth talking to your bank to see if they can up the limit? I'm not up on U.S. Banking anymore but I do believe they have some reasonable limits - or they used to.

I never have this problem because I do not take excursions and any pre/post stays I've had did not require cash payment. I do see on CC where cruisers have booked multiple private excursions - think maybe 4-5 excursions at $400 each (for the family) and you've got a good bit of cash to come up with.

Maybe the US-based cruisers have different scenarios than our friends up North. I've seen a $200 US per withdrawal limit over the years in quite a few places (ever try to get $1000 of bail money for a friend :eek: we had to have multiple friends use multiple ATMs to get the money).

Some people don't want to risk the chance that they can't withdraw a substantial amount of money from an ATM overseas or that the ATM runs out of money on the weekend (had that happen in Vernazza). Some just want the warm fuzzy feeling of having the necessary funds in hand before they leave the Motherland...

We all seem to have different experiences, so none is better than another for every person.

I can't recall ever having the ability to take less than $400 a day from an ATM in over 10 years--in any country. Thirty years ago there were limits of $100-200 a day, but those lists are long gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't recall ever having the ability to take less than $400 a day from an ATM in over 10 years--in any country. Thirty years ago there were limits of $100-200 a day, but those lists are long gone.

€400 is about right. So that's a few ATMs you'd have to find with the example given of needing €2,000

€400 is about right. So that's a few ATMs you'd have to find with the example given of needing €2,000

If I needed that much at the start of my trip, I would simply get it from my bank at home before leaving. The stress of running around from ATM to ATM after a long flight and hoping my card wasn't eaten would not be worth saving a few cents per dollar on the exchange. Not even close.

If I needed that much at the start of my trip, I would simply get it from my bank at home before leaving. The stress of running around from ATM to ATM after a long flight and hoping my card wasn't eaten would not be worth saving a few cents per dollar on the exchange. Not even close.

Which is what a few if us have been trying to say. ATM is not the blanket answer