MSC Newb Needs Help

TheDougOut

I'm an NCL veteran cruiser, and have also sailed on Celebrity and Disney. We're considering giving MSC Divina a try this summer, partly because of cost and partly because it'll be a completely new-to-us experience.

There will be 6 of us: 2 adults and 4 teens. We're looking at the various balcony categories, splitting us up 1 adult and 2 teens in each room.

Per-room cost will be $2864 for Fantastica or $3704 for Aurea. It's my understanding that we'll see some of this reduced by 5% once our loyalty match goes through.

My questions:

Does the Fantastica drink package and the Aurea "unlimited drinks" apply to everyone in the cabin? Will the limitations of either be a concern for a guy that doesn't bother with ultra-premium liquors or wines? Are specialty coffees and bottled water included (can you tell I'm an NCL veteran yet?).

Is the priority boarding & luggage service much of a benefit with Aurea? Does that mean we board after Yacht Club and prior to everyone else?

The spa stuff... Aurea comes with one massage of choice and access to thermal area. What's available within the "thermal area"? Is the "thermal area" different than the "thermal suite access" that comes with Yacht Club? What's the age minimum for the "adult only"? Would my 19 year old daughter qualify? Is the "one massage" per room or per adult?

Does the "my dining" option with Aurea work well on MSC? Any concern with 6 of us showing up and hoping to sit together?

Specialty dining... Once the cruise is booked, will we be able to purchase a specialty dining package online? I've been confused by seeing a cover charge AND a la carte pricing - is that just for optional premium entrees if you have a specialty dining package?

Ship areas - I think I understand that deck 18 has two "private" areas - once for Yacht Club and another for those that want to pay per-day for a quiet area. Any other private or pay areas I need to be aware of? Are all other pools open to all, including the covered one? Where is the "sun deck" available to Wellness, Aurea, and Yacht Club?

Is the sports bar menu still priced a la carte? I've seen menus with pricing, but I've also seen it listed without an indication that "surcharge applies".

Sorry for the endless questions. I'm just trying to get the full cruise in focus and I feel completely lost, even after researching for days. I'm questioning whether the "Aurea" perks will be worthwhile with only 1 adult per room.

For anybody that answers ANY of these questions... my thanks in advance!

Doug

Edited by TheDougOut

I'm an NCL veteran cruiser, and have also sailed on Celebrity and Disney. We're considering giving MSC Divina a try this summer, partly because of cost and partly because it'll be a completely new-to-us experience.

There will be 6 of us: 2 adults and 4 teens. We're looking at the various balcony categories, splitting us up 1 adult and 2 teens in each room.

Per-room cost will be $2864 for Fantastica or $3704 for Aurea. It's my understanding that we'll see some of this reduced by 5% once our loyalty match goes through.

My questions:

Does the Fantastica drink package and the Aurea "unlimited drinks" apply to everyone in the cabin? Will the limitations of either be a concern for a guy that doesn't bother with ultra-premium liquors or wines? Are specialty coffees and bottled water included (can you tell I'm an NCL veteran yet?).

Yes, everybody in the cabin wiil get the drinks package appropriate to the experience booked

Is the priority boarding & luggage service much of a benefit with Aurea?

It's a nice to have but not massive benefit

Does that mean we board after Yacht Club and prior to everyone else?

The Yacht club embarkation is a separate system to everybody else, Aurea guests have some of the check in desks dedicated to only aurea guests and may have different channels to walk down to get to the desks

The spa stuff... Aurea comes with one massage of choice and access to thermal area. What's available within the "thermal area"?

not quite sure

Is the "thermal area" different than the "thermal suite access" that comes with Yacht Club?

The thermal area is a part of the Spa and the Yacht club access is a private lift direct from the YC to the Spa so you don't have to walk through public areas in your towelling robes and slippers

What's the age minimum for the "adult only"? !8

Would my 19 year old daughter qualify? Yes

Is the "one massage" per room or per adult? Per Adult

Does the "my dining" option with Aurea work well on MSC?

They prefer it if you fix a time of your choice and stick to that time throughout the cruise. It is called "My Time" not "Freedom " dining.

You can change the time you dine either by pre arranging with the head waiter or just turning up (but you may have to wait for some minutes to be assigned a table.)

If you stick to the same time each day you are usually sat at the same table with the same waiter team

Any concern with 6 of us showing up and hoping to sit together?

If you stick to the system of "MY TIME" not "FREEDOM" dining ten you will have the same table for 6 of you.

If you just turn up you may wait a little longer if you want a table for 6 rather than 1 or 2 tables

Specialty dining... Once the cruise is booked, will we be able to purchase a specialty dining package online? Yes

I've been confused by seeing a cover charge AND a la carte pricing - is that just for optional premium entrees if you have a specialty dining package? I don't know

Ship areas - I think I understand that deck 18 has two "private" areas - once for Yacht Club and another for those that want to pay per-day for a quiet area. Correct

Any other private or pay areas I need to be aware of? No

Are all other pools open to all, including the covered one? Not the Yacht Club "one pool"

Where is the "sun deck" available to Wellness, Aurea, and Yacht Club?

The YC "one deck" is at the front pf the ship on deck 18 and is exclusively YC only.

The TOP 18 Deck for Aurea and PAYG guests is mid ships just

ahead of the funnels on deck 18

Is the sports bar menu still priced a la carte?

No it is complmentary

I'v seen menus with pricing, but I've also seen it listed without an indication that "surcharge applies".

Sorry for the endless questions. I'm just trying to get the full cruise in focus and I feel completely lost, even after researching for days. I'm questioning whether the "Aurea" perks will be worthwhile with only 1 adult per room.

For anybody that answers ANY of these questions... my thanks in advance!

Doug

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi Doug,

I'm a fan. You're reviews are amazing. I'd like to offer back to you some of what you offer to all of us. Short version, I do not think MSC is a good fit for you.

Long version:

Background: I've been cruising since 1987. Somewhere around 30 cruises. I'm not new to this. I've done 5-6 NCL cruises including Breakaway and Getaway within the last few years. I also did not one, but TWO MSC cruises in 2016 (one aft balcony in April and another YC in June). Here are my comparisons for you (based on what I can tell about you from your reviews).

1) You know that whole O'Sheahans concept with bar food 24 hours? You're not going to find that on Divina. In fact, there isn't any food worth mentioning available after 11:00 unless you pay for pizza from eataly. They have made the sports bar free bar food, but it closes at 11:00 p.m.

2) You know the comedy club? Howl at the moon? Pub? You will find nothing like that on Divina. Can't happen due to language differences. They do have one very good show each evening, but it is at set times and only 30-40 minutes long. While it does change each night, there is positively repetition in each of the acts. You will not find shows like "Burn", "rock of ages", "legally blonde".

3) There are some deck parties, but they also end early. There is entertainment in various small lounges in the evening but it too ends early. Think piano, single guitarist, violinist.. playing more classical tunes. Forget the Rock band entertainment in the likes of Zepplin and Pink Floyd available on the 'aways'. Nothing like Fat Cats either.

4) You mentioned bringing kids. The water slide is so weak it needs self propulsion, there is no rock climbing wall, no ropes course. There is a teen club, but I think your kids are too old for any of that. I truly didn't see much in the way of activities at all on Divina. Even the day activities are MUCH more subdued than other main stream lines. I was excited for the language class, but it was 15 minutes long and really nothing more than reading a list of words out loud. Again, some of this is due to language barriers. I was interested in aqua cycle, but they didn't run it on either of my cruises.

To specifically answer some of your questions:

1) If you do choose MSC, don't just rely on the 5% discount. MSC has very generous other discount programs offering 10% (military, civil, education, etc..).

2) MSC is much more generous in what they include in the drink packages. No worries for you and yes speciality coffees are included.

3) The thermal spa is an absolute JOKE! Seriously, there is dry heat and steam. That's it. The 'relaxation' area is 6 wicker lounge chairs. I had the thermal area free with YC and never bothered (and I'm a thermal spa junkie). No thermal pool, no heated loungers, heck, I don't even know if they had showers. It's simply not something to base any decision on and it's small. With everyone in the YC getting free access, the 6 loungers go quick. I have pics of it from my live reviews if interested.

4) No need for priority boarding or debarking on MSC. They actually do a good job with embarkation/debarkation.

5) I don't think you will like the dining options. It's not at all free style. You will be prompted to select a time and show up there at the same time each evening. You can go at different times with Aurea, but again, they don't really like that. They want you to select one time for the whole week. Also, the dining is limited to one MDR and the buffet. Both have limited hours compared to NCL. Food is subjective, but I'm not at all a fan of MSC (other than the pizza which is amazing). MSC is a 'cheap' product. They must cut corners in some areas to offer the pricing structure they do. In my option, the biggest areas that MSC cuts corners is in food quality and entertainment/activities

6) Look at some pictures of specialty dining before you purchase. The reviews are mixed on the food, but most people agree that the clear plastic lawn chair seating does not add to the ambiance of the experience.

7) You will have access to the adults only solarium with Aurea (you can also purchase passes to here without Aurea). NOTHING like vibe or posh. It's just regular lounge chairs on the top deck with one hot tub. Nothing 'special' other than you won't have to fight for a seat and it's adult only. You will not have access to the one-pool area for YC.

NOW..... with all that you might want to ask why the hell I booked on MSC twice. The answer is simple, COST EFFECTIVENESS! Both trips were super cheap compared to other lines (YC came in less than $1,000 pp all-in).

I would never ever take DH on the Divina. He would be bored and would hate the food. That's why I'm not recommending it for you based on what I can tell from your reviews. I sailed solo and with a girlfriend. BOth trips I was looking for 'refined' time. We were much like Sue most of the time :).

Divina is a beautiful ship. She is super clean and sparkly. Based on the prices I paid last year, the Divina is probably the biggest bang for the buck in the industry. She is unique and many people like that. The word that always comes to my mind when thinking Divina is SUBDUED. She's mellow. Graceful. MSC is to Queen Elizabeth as NCL is to the wilder side of Princess Diana. I'd sail her again for the right price, but if cost was equal, I'd take any of the main stream lines before MSC.

Hope I didn't sway you too hard, but you offer so much of yourself in your reviews that we get a 'feel' for who you are and I wanted to offer something back. Would you have a great time on Divina? Absolutely!!! There is nothing substantially 'wrong' with her, she is just different and I wanted to point out some of the biggest differences so that you make an informed decision.

Of course, YMMV. :)

Happy Holidays to you and Sue!

So I am booked on Divina in a week

Is there a Piano Bar? If so where is it? And to confirm I mean one we sent around requesting songs etc

I am bringing a 15 year old with me are you saying there is no club for her to meet other kids her age? I ask because I read there is a program for 15-17 year olds

Edited by bnorris10

Happy Holidays to you and Sue!

First off... same to you and your family!

Second... thank you so much for the detailed response.

It's absolutely torturing me. I keep going back and forth between trying out the Divina, and returning to the Escape (and my beloved Brew House). Add in the fact that the Escape would be a Western Caribbean itinerary, which would allow a return to Maya Chan and Harvest Caye (and maybe even some additional monkey time). And it's worth mentioning twice... the District Brew House. Tap after tap after tap of great beer.

You *may* have tipped the scale.

So I am booked on Divina in a week

Is there a Piano Bar? If so where is it? And to confirm I mean one we sent around requesting songs etc

I am bringing a 15 year old with me are you saying there is no club for her to meet other kids her age? I ask because I read there is a program for 15-17 year olds

No piano bar like what you are thinking about in the schooner requesting songs. The piano bar is LOVELY, but both weeks I was on the Divina the piano bar had a guitarist.

There is a teen club for your 15 year old. Doug's kids were older. I say Go with an open mind. Remember you paid SIGNIFICANTLY less for this trip than the mainstream line so in my opinion it's only fair to expect a bit less. In other words, Keep expectations in line with the price paid. You may be very pleasantly surprised :). Like I stated above, MSC Is probably the best BANG for the buck going right now.

First off... same to you and your family!

Second... thank you so much for the detailed response.

It's absolutely torturing me. I keep going back and forth between trying out the Divina, and returning to the Escape (and my beloved Brew House). Add in the fact that the Escape would be a Western Caribbean itinerary, which would allow a return to Maya Chan and Harvest Caye (and maybe even some additional monkey time). And it's worth mentioning twice... the District Brew House. Tap after tap after tap of great beer.

You *may* have tipped the scale.

If it was just You and Sue (and not the kids); and maybe MSC was an 'extra' vacation where you were just looking to get away I'd say try it. As mentioned, it's not a BAD experience at all. I absolutely enjoyed both of my trips on Divina.

However; If the price is somewhat close to the Escape, I REALLY think you would be happier on Escape. I'm headed on Epic in a few weeks. It priced $150 more than MSC (last minute 'holiday' deal); and for $150 it was a no-brainer in my book. Personally, I enjoy the evening activities like comedy club and howl at the moon; I'm also a water slide maniac; and did I mention I'm a thermal suite junkie? NCL certainly is not for everyone, but something tells me it's a better fit for you :).

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I'm afraid I feel the same as BB about you cruising on the Divina. I think it'll be fine for us on our NYE cruise but it'll be even more subdued when it's just a regular cruise. Quite frankly, all you need do is check out some of the RCs on MSC. :p

However, I think if I were cruising with a young family, and really wanted to give MSC a go, I'd check out Seaside and compare it with Escape. As far as pricing goes, it's almost a dead heat with MSC being approx. $200 less for a 7 day cruise. Of course I'm just comparing the date that we have booked so others may be closer in cost, timing is everything.

The information you've received from BB is very valuable and if you're not comfortable about your choice, you still have lots of time to make a change.

Good luck and keep those wonderful reviews coming not matter which line you choose,

Cheers,

Get the Fantastica package and buy the Premium Drink package. Your family will love Divina if you are open to experiencing a European flair. All the Italian food especially pasta is excellent! A wide choice of pizza for the kids to enjoy. They also have a super video room and 4D theater and a Formula 1 simulator, not to be missed!

NCL certainly is not for everyone, but something tells me it's a better fit for you :).

I'm afraid I feel the same as BB about you cruising on the Divina.

Well, I went ahead and simultaneously booked the Escape as a possible alternative. It's going on the Western Caribbean itinerary, which I prefer. With the UBP and specialty dining, it only came out $200 more per room, all-in.

I may have to wait for the Seaside before giving MSC a try. A return to the District Brew House may simply be too good to pass up.

Thanks, BermudaBound2014 & All-ready2cruise!

At only $200 more per room all in for NCL Escape over Divina, I am 99.9% certain you made the absolute right choice. Heck, my DH would pay an extra $200 for just the Brew House, let alone all the other extras you get with NCL. Enjoy!!

We're heading on the Epic in a few days. I'll miss the waterfront terribly, but I'm all about the Epic spa with the outdoor lounging area. Next best thing when an aft facing balcony isn't available! MSC is worth a shot in your future when the price is significantly cheaper, but for 2 C's it's a no-brainer :)