Nieuw Amsterdam Televisions

bUU

3) No. You can't access any ports.
I suppose I might be asking this question a bit too early, since a major dry dock between now and 2018 could change the answer, but barring that, is this true with regard to the televisions aboard ms Nieuw Amsterdam? Are the televisions secured such that plugging a camera in via HDMI, to review photos taken, is not possible?

I suppose I might be asking this question a bit too early, since a major dry dock between now and 2018 could change the answer, but barring that, is this true with regard to the televisions aboard ms Nieuw Amsterdam? Are the televisions secured such that plugging a camera in via HDMI, to review photos taken, is not possible?

Almost impossible to answer. TV models aren't totally consistent from cabin to cabin on a ship as it is so to say it'll be possible is difficult even without considering how they're mounted. Kind of a yes, no, and maybe answer.

I photographed nearly every category of stateroom on our May Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise. All TVs were mounted on the wall and the distance from the wall to the TV makes attachment of any cable virtually impossible.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-cabinsstaterooms/

I photographed nearly every category of stateroom on our May Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise. All TVs were mounted on the wall and the distance from the wall to the TV makes attachment of any cable virtually impossible.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-cabinsstaterooms/

It may or may not have been a deliberate decision on HAL's part but in the long run limiting access to the connections, particularly HDMI, is actually in their best interest. Now HDMI is pretty much state-of-the-art in terms of its capability and capacity to carry the huge amount of data required for today's video and sound. The problem with HDMI is not technological but actually physical in that the ports on flat screens, DVD/Bluray players, surround sound receivers, etc., are actually a bit fragile particularly when compared to USB, 3-wire component, and S-video connectors. HDMI was really not designed for frequent connecting, disconnecting, and reconnecting. It can and does break and it's not easy or inexpensive to fix on some components.

wall mounted, not centered to bed, no biggie...

In Peter's pic (above) of the TV in a Main Deck inside cabin, the TV is also not easy to see from the couch, unless you sit sideways, with your feet up. This makes it tough for a second person to sit on the couch at the same time.

Actually, the seat with the best view is the toilet! :eek:

How recently have the televisions been wall mounted? I ask because some relatively recent YouTube videos of a Neptune suite shows the television sitting on the desk blocking the window a bit.

All televisions in the rooms that I photographed from our May 2016 cruise were wall-mounted.

Here is Neptune Suite SA7035 showing wall-mounted television above the sofa:

SA7035-2-of-6.jpg

Television mounted on wall in SB5186:

SB5186-3-of-9.jpg

Last time we were on the NA - 2014 Mediterranean- the Tv were not wall mounted.

Can anyone tell me if they are now -on demand? Or is there still a DVD player? We enjoy "renting" movies for the room sometimes for a bit of quiet in the afternoon.

We are on the NA in 10 days and am just curious.... my parents had on demand on the Konigsdam

We're in an aft Neptune suite similar to the cabin of which Crew News posted pictures.

Here's a shot of the television on the desk, from 2014:

attachment.php?attachmentid=400262&stc=1&d=1481986580

(Crew News' photos are newer by two years, representing a recent change in the televisions aboard ship.)

NASB7137TV.jpg.5c9726f33496aab65c544a9851a985e9.jpg

Edited by bUU

Last time we were on the NA - 2014 Mediterranean- the Tv were not wall mounted.

Can anyone tell me if they are now -on demand? Or is there still a DVD player? We enjoy "renting" movies for the room sometimes for a bit of quiet in the afternoon.

My Nieuw Amsterdam (inside, Main Deck) cabin had no DVD player, nor DVD slot in the wall-mounted TV (I checked for a slot). There were on demand movies and TV shows.

A big plus as a result, was the shelf where the TV had formerly sat was available for additional space (I put the ice bucket & tray up there), and freed up at least two additional electric outlets.