"Future Cruise" option change to "Cruise Later"

M5M

We bought a Future Cruise option in November, need to choose a cruise within the 60 days, or the letter says it will change to a "standard Cruise Later" option.

What does a standard Cruise Later option provide? What perks will I lose?

This FC option is for sailings May 2018 to April 2019. If we use it now, it will be to book a cruise in March 2019.

We bought a Future Cruise option in November, need to choose a cruise within the 60 days, or the letter says it will change to a "standard Cruise Later" option.

What does a standard Cruise Later option provide? What perks will I lose?

This FC option is for sailings May 2018 to April 2019. If we use it now, it will be to book a cruise in March 2019.

I learned this lesson the hard way but here goes:

Always book a specific cruise while onboard ... it is transferable to another cruise should you decide not to go on the one chosen.

Using this option, you also get better perks (depending on what is being offered at the time) and this deposit is fully refundable, unless, of course, one of the perks was to get your OBC on the same cruise when you purchased the future cruise.

You can also transfer your cruise to a travel agency but only if within 60 days of the booking. That future cruise credit has to stay with Celebrity.

If you don't choose a particular sailing, the future cruise credit becomes non-refundable .... so pick one, pick anything and you can switch it out later down the road. Transfer it to your travel agent, if you are using one, within 60 days. But note, if you do book a sailing you full well don't intend to go on, the perks of the booking will only go to what is being offered at the time of transferring your future cruise certificate on the new sailing.

So, let's say that the cruiseline gives you two free perks (one extra one for booking while onboard) and you choose the beverage package and free gratuities. You only get this when you choose a particular sailing. Now, you see another cruise that is being offered that you want to transfer to but only one free perk is included. From my experience, you will now only get that one free perk. The only thing you get extra now is the onboard credit that is offered based on the future cruise credit value. Also, you can usually only apply two promotions to one booking so if part of a group rate but you also get one free perk, those are your two promotions so they may not allow you any onboard credit from your future cruise purchase .... although you can still use the certificate towards the balance of your new cruise.

I have heard others that have beaten this system but just as many that haven't.

Thanks for the notes. According to my Future Cruise letter, we get $250 for purchasing the FC credit on board, AND two perks. So now I want to move this to my TA and book a 2019 cruise. According to the TA current promotion, I expect two additional perks and additional OBC. So that's all fine.

But.....what if.....what if....I don't do anything with this credit, and it (according to my letter) turns into a "standard Cruise Later." ???? What does that give me? Is it just that I put $100 down towards some cruise to be chosen later....? Do I lose the $250 OBC and two perks?

Essentially, my question is what does a Standard Cruise Later promotion offer.?

I have had nothing but hassle from celebrity. Bought future cruise coupons in October on a TA with the express offer for 2018-19 with two perks plus a small amount of obc since the schedule was not out. Multiple calls to celebrity but still not been resolved. They keep saying the coupons are not valid, despite all my paperwork being faxed to them. They won't let me book with the offered "free" perks unless I take the go better price--in other words, pay the higher price which includes them. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Given the time I've already spent on this, I think celebrity has a major bait and switch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the notes. According to my Future Cruise letter, we get $250 for purchasing the FC credit on board, AND two perks. So now I want to move this to my TA and book a 2019 cruise. According to the TA current promotion, I expect two additional perks and additional OBC. So that's all fine.

But.....what if.....what if....I don't do anything with this credit, and it (according to my letter) turns into a "standard Cruise Later." ???? What does that give me? Is it just that I put $100 down towards some cruise to be chosen later....? Do I lose the $250 OBC and two perks?

You probably have the one where you have to book by December 30th? Confused about the 60 days. You can book the cruise with Celebrity and then transfer the booking if you wish.

If you do not book you will lose the two perks and you will get a reduce amount of OBC on the cruise.(standard cruise later deal)

I have had nothing but hassle from celebrity. Bought future cruise coupons in October on a TA with the express offer for 2018-19 with two perks plus a small amount of obc since the schedule was not out. Multiple calls to celebrity but still not been resolved. They keep saying the coupons are not valid, despite all my paperwork being faxed to them. They won't let me book with the offered "free" perks unless I take the go better price--in other words, pay the higher price which includes them. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Given the time I've already spent on this, I think celebrity has a major bait and switch.

Are you booking a suite that only has the Best price?

Are you sure the OBC is only a small amount? Ours is up to $500 depending on the category and length of the cruise?

Do you have the one you have to book by December 30th?

In our case we are booking a suite which includes the Best (all four) for the base price, so the two perks is meaningless. I do not really feel good about that. Last year the initial releases did not include the BBB pricing, so the on board booking seemed like a better deal.

What category, ship, and date are you considering?

I have an actual copy of the advanced booking offer if it Is helpful.

Good luck

Edited by jagoffee

Thanks but I too have all the on-board "come on" about the promotions and yes, $200 obc plus two perks were promised if you booked by dec 30. I have faxed the promotion sheet, etc. to celebrity but they insist there is nothing in their system to allow such a thing. I have the certificate(s)--stupid me, I did TWO. One for silhouette and the other for eclipse--both concierge and Europe. Celebrity is trying to weasel out but I call every week and track date, who and what was said. Have escalated but get similar response and "we'll check that and get back to you. Ha! Just to be sure I played by the rules, I did make reservations but nothing was included in the paperwork. I get on the Equinox on Jan 2nd and expect to plop down in future cruises for whatever it takes.

I believe the 'standard cruise later' will get you the onboard credit (it might be a bit less, though) but only one perk and only if that perk is offered as part of the deal for anyone booking the cruise you are choosing. I think you will have to fight tooth and nail to get that second perk.

Also, I believe it turns into a non-refundable deposit once it turns into that standard cruise later. Just apply it to something you might be interested in just so you don't get stuck with having it switch over and losing that money if you do cancel.

I worked with someone that was totally awesome on my last sailing on Celebrity. But, I have worked with some where it was like pulling teeth to get the perks that I was supposed to. Don't forget, you usually can get a one category bump up with any captain's club status. Sometimes it is only like $20 but just a few days ago, this little perk just saved me hundreds.

Thanks, cruise raider, and others....interesting....at this point I'm considering an April 15, 2018 transatlantic ...Miami to Dublin...for $1689. Supposedly I'd get all for perks with a 2D balcony. So I guess that's OK, we'll use the beverage package and other perks on a TA.

But for the other Future Cruise option I bought, the 2018/2019 New Deployment Cruise Later.....the most appealing cruise is in 2019, from Abu Dhabi up through some India ports. The price is $2749 for a 2C balcony....we won't use the beverage package or mush internet as there is only one sea day. So, I'm considering let that option just lapse into a "Standard Cruise Later " option and take my chances at a better price on some sailing I like, even with fewer perks. What do you think?

Thanks, cruise raider, and others....interesting....at this point I'm considering an April 15, 2018 transatlantic ...Miami to Dublin...for $1689. Supposedly I'd get all for perks with a 2D balcony. So I guess that's OK, we'll use the beverage package and other perks on a TA.

So, with this deal you are getting perks for a TA???

Also, for those that might know----if you book a TA cruise while onboard, then transfer it to a travel agent--will the travel agent generally provide a perk or so on a TA?

Edited by cluso

I also bought these certificates good for specials on to-be-announced sailings in some distant future timeframe. I don't have an answer to your basic question; when I saw that fine print about the certs becoming standard cruise later certs if not used by 31 Dec this year, I assumed that meant I would not get the extra perks if I waited too long. But no issue. I called my guy at Celebrity, he found my certs in the system, we applied one to a 2018 Med cruise, the TransAtl cert applied to a 2018 TA. Two weeks latter I called, switched to a different Med cruise, different TransAtlantic (both in 2018). All perks originally promised onboard are still there.

My suspicion is that the Future Cruises person on your ship did not record your certs against your CC number and that is why you are getting the runaround. But from my own experience, I can say that there was no bait and switch, it was a legit offer that they do honor.

So, with this deal you are getting perks for a TA???

As I read it, no. This seems to be a Better offer within the standard BBB, sorta. Free grats plus two perks plus OBC up to $500 (Suites). Only the OBC and maybe free grats on the TransAtlantics. But I don't have the paperwork in front of me.

I bought two of these while on board my Transatlantic in November. They have a special arrangement for those who were on the four TA sailings (Oct / Nov).

Regular offering

1) Cruise now - you will select and confirm a cruise that is eligible for the offering (limited by time, and type). The perks can change (i.e. one perk, or two perks), but the OBC is standard.

2) Cruise later - you put a deposit and you will get to select a cruise in the future. You don't need to confirm a specific sailing now. Usually there is no perk, and a lesser OBC

Special offering - happened on the four Fall TA (and could be on others)

1) Cruise now - similar to above. If I chose a 2017 sailing, I got only one perk plus the usual OBC

2a) Cruise later regular sailing - there is a special offer for unannounced 2018 / 2018 sailings. We are able to put a small deposit for a 2018 / 2019 sailing. As these sailings have not yet been announced, so essentially they are giving us the Cruise Now benefits with a Cruise Later certificate. We will get two perks, plus the usual OBC. The terms is, we MUST confirm a 2018 / 2019 sailing before the end of the year. Otherwise it will become a standard Cruise Later certificate (i.e. just the OBC). For 2017 sailing you only get one perk.

2b) Cruise later TA - this is also a special offer. We can put a small deposit to get the certificate for 2018 Transatlantic (unannounced). In addition to the small TA OBC, we will get free gratuity for two people. Again, the sailing must be confirmed before end of the year, or it becomes a normal Cruise Later certificate.

This will have nothing to do with transferring the booking to your agent. The regular terms apply.

Thanks but I too have all the on-board "come on" about the promotions and yes, $200 obc plus two perks were promised if you booked by dec 30. I have faxed the promotion sheet, etc. to celebrity but they insist there is nothing in their system to allow such a thing. I have the certificate(s)--stupid me, I did TWO. One for silhouette and the other for eclipse--both concierge and Europe. Celebrity is trying to weasel out but I call every week and track date, who and what was said. Have escalated but get similar response and "we'll check that and get back to you. Ha! Just to be sure I played by the rules, I did make reservations but nothing was included in the paperwork. I get on the Equinox on Jan 2nd and expect to plop down in future cruises for whatever it takes.

The cruises that you are from the new cruises for 2018/2019 that were just released?

I think I see the challenge. Your cruise has the BBB pricing, but no other pricing. So do you pay the Big price and get the two perks of Better? Did they at least offer you that option?

Edited by jagoffee

Solutions, thanks for the explanation on Cruise Later. Your description fits my situation exactly. so I guess we may go ahead and do the booking now, I was aware of the Dec 30 deadline. We can always change, but my travel agent charges a change-booking fee of something, maybe its $50....but it aggravates me. Thanks for all the input.

The cruises that you are from the new cruises for 2018/2019 that were just released?

I think I see the challenge. Your cruise has the BBB pricing, but no other pricing. So do you pay the Big price and get the two perks of Better? Did they at least offer you that option?

The main offer is for sailings May 2018 through April 2019. "Ship and sailing date has to be selected by December 30th, 2016." Excludes Galapagos, and the other special itineraries. The "2018 Transatlantic Cruise Later" is valid only on 2017/2018 Transatlantic sailings. Same language about decisions to be made by 30 Dec 2016.This one gets free gratuity for two plus various OBC. Main offer gets two perks plus OBC.

When I received copies of the form (on board), they had a booking number on it and the cruise(s) I've booked carry forward that number. Which is why think that OP's number got messed up in the system onboard. So Celebrity at home isn't recognizing what he signed up for. But, just speculation...

I just read all your comments and I would like to thank you all. There are so many rules and grey areas around Future Cruise, from what we are told on board and what we hear when come back home, that it makes my head spin :(. Like some of you I had not been told that I was loosing my 2 perks if I changed dates and had to go with the 2 perks published rate. Which in a nutshell means that the benefit of the Future Cruise in this case comes down to only the OBC if we change cruise.

I have a question for you....I made 4 separate bookings last summer on the Celebrity Summit. We usually travel with our kids and book 2 cabins per cruise. Since I had originally booked this cruise with a travel agent who gives us good OBC, they automatically linked my bookings to this TA.

However we were unable to coordinate all our vacations for the cruise we initially booked on board so we decided to shop for another cruise and stick to Celebrity to take advantage of our Future Cruise OBC.

Last week I found an excellent rate with another TA. After doing the math the rate with the 2 perks was better for us but we were saving quite a bit for the kid's cabin with this new TA special rate (they don't use the internet on board and don't have a drink package which is where most of the savings are). I am now trying to link our Future Cruise to this new booking for our cabin since the Future cruise rate does not apply to the kid's special rate.

I called Celebrity to know if I could transfer my Future Cruise from one TA to another and I was originally told that it could be done but the booking had to initially be released to Celebrity then transferred to the new TA via the form online and this is how I found out about the 60 day rule (I am out of the 60 day). I also learned later that it would have been easier to have the booking transferred between TA (this new TA does it all the time but not my original TA)

Does any of you know if a transfer between 2 TA (with a release to Celebrity in between) can be done after 60 days? I don't particularly find Celebrity's phone agent knowledgeable so I thought this community could help me :)

Thank you!

The main offer is for sailings May 2018 through April 2019. "Ship and sailing date has to be selected by December 30th, 2016." Excludes Galapagos, and the other special itineraries. The "2018 Transatlantic Cruise Later" is valid only on 2017/2018 Transatlantic sailings. Same language about decisions to be made by 30 Dec 2016.This one gets free gratuity for two plus various OBC. Main offer gets two perks plus OBC.

When I received copies of the form (on board), they had a booking number on it and the cruise(s) I've booked carry forward that number. Which is why think that OP's number got messed up in the system onboard. So Celebrity at home isn't recognizing what he signed up for. But, just speculation...

Perhaps, but I am curious as to what actually happens if the cruise you book by December 30th has BBB pricing? If you pay the Better price that includes two perks you really are not getting anything except the OBC. Since I booked a suite the Standard rate with the Best is the same except for the extra OBC.

Only if you book a cruise or category that does not have the BBB pricing do you really get the two perks that was promoted.