Main Dinning hall for breakfast

pembo6

Say it's not so. I was only referencing the last sentence of your post #47. Nothing else. Please provide the link that backs up your statement. Thank you.

My point is, if you read the dress codes (which are most often not enforced), nothing is mentioned as far as BREAKFAST goes in MDR. Only Lunch and Dinner is addressed. So since breakfast is not mentioned, it should be Casual or Smart Casual or Formal?

The OP was asking about BREAKFAST. The purist are attempting to hold on to something that no longer exists.

Here is the Life Onboard.... and it is really old.

Life Onboard

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

Edited by troykahack

...The dress codes quoted in #15 are for dinner.....
I'll annotate it so that even you might be able to understand:

Q:*What are the dress codes onboard?

A:*Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Smart Casual exists only at dinner, so yes this paragraph applies to dinner only.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Formal exists only at dinner, so yes this paragraph applies to dinner only.

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants.

This paragraph applies at all times in the main restaurants and specialty restaurants: there are NO exceptions mentioned.

T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note that baseball caps are NOT on the sometimes acceptable list.

Note also that this sentence absolutely refutes your contention that the Dress Code applies only at dinner.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

I'll annotate it so that even you might be able to understand:

Q:*What are the dress codes onboard?

A:*Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual exists only at dinner, so yes this paragraph applies to dinner only.

Formal exists only at dinner, so yes this paragraph applies to dinner only.

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants.

This paragraph applies at all times in the main restaurants and specialty restaurants: there are NO exceptions mentioned.

T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note that baseball caps are NOT on the sometimes acceptable list.

Note also that this sentence absolutely refutes your contention that the Dress Code applies only at dinner.

So, if many of these things are acceptable at Lunch and no mention of breakfast..... what does one wear?

Why do you let what others wear bother you so much.... now if they put their hat in my food, I might get upset. Many people are eating breakfast and headed off the ship. God help me if I don't wear a hat (I don't personally wear one while eating but surely have better things to do then worry about my neighbor).

Edited by troykahack

So, if many of these things are acceptable at Lunch and no mention of breakfast..... what does one wear?
Per the dress code anything except swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear which are on the not allowed list at all times. IMO the writer of the Code was merely attempting to make it clear that t-shirts, shorts and flip flops are acceptable at lunch (and presumably breakfast; they are not on the forbidden list except when overridden by the instructions for pants and collared shirt [or more] to be worn at dinner).

As I have stated before I am not bothered if someone wears a hat, even though it is possible to bring a hat to the MDR without actually wearing it prior to then immediately venturing off the ship. I am however bothered by people who claim that a clear statement (in this case the Dress Code) doesn't say what it says.

Somehow this has turned into a dress code thread.

The dinning room is carpeted with chandeliers, tablecloth and linen napkins, glassware and waiters. I don't care what you wear. That said it is not a fast food place in your neighborhood.

I have worn to breakfasti and lunch dry swimwear with a nice full cover up that is not see thru, flip flops or shorts and a t shirt but I would remove my hat.

We tried the dining room for breakfast and it was a big disappointment. Every single thing we ordered came out cold, and it took forever. The dining room didn't have anything on the menu that you couldn't get at the buffet, so I just didn't see the point and never went back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was my experience as well.

Also, for breakfast I like to try small servings of several different items - a muffin, fruit, eggs, sausage, potato, tomato, mushrooms, cheese. I also like going back for several cups of coffee. In the dining room you're limited to one entree which, as noted, takes forever to be served. And if you want refills for coffee you might get it if you can corral your waiter. The buffet suits me much better.

Look, we comonly wear our swim gear and open toe shoes into Chops and DL/CL/SL for Breakfast, just before we get off the ship for an excursion. I carry my hat with me to protect my skin head later in the sun.

Never ate in MDR for Breakfast but have Chops, and Hats were a plenty. (mine was carried)

I say to the OP, wear what your feel comfortable in, don't worry about what others think. It is your vacation you are paying for, not theirs.

Edited by troykahack

They will not ask for hats to be removed at breakfast or lunch. You will see many people, especially at breakfast, with hats because they are heading to the pool deck or on an excursion straight from breakfast.

And somehow their later plans prevent them from behaving like gentlemen and removing their hats at breakfast? Honestly, I'm surprised that any man needs to be asked to remove his hat indoors. It's just bad manners.

And somehow their later plans prevent them from behaving like gentlemen and removing their hats at breakfast? Honestly, I'm surprised that any man needs to be asked to remove his hat indoors. It's just bad manners.

I'm just talking reality of the situation.

Also, some may have had skin cancer or may not want to remove a cover for religious reasons. This does not mean they possess bad manners.

I haven't seen much gentlemanly or lady like behavior recently anywhere, unfortunately.

The Dress Code specifically cites Baseball caps as not allowed. Baseball caps are required religious wear? Seriously? Is anybody dumb enough to believe that?

There are lots of suggestions and requests that are not enforced. I personally don't wear a hat in the MDR, although I carried one with me during lunch. Why do people let it bother them what others wear???

Edited by troykahack